DVDVR Message Board

RAW IS SETH ROLLZZzzzzzzz (5/23/16...except the opening which was 5/23/15)

piranesi

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Oh and because Reigns must be pushed as a babyface hero instead of a badass tweener they then have to push Roilins as a chickenshit heel which he is not great at and again that also makes no sense because the crowd wants to cheer for him.  It deflated the whole segment and set themselves up for a weak ass program between the two.

Dude, why are we agreeing with each other? We never have the same damn opinion.

Jesus, I do not get the big deal about Roman. I do not understand why they invest so much in a bland character. A bland wrestler. He is no John Cena who had fiery promos from the beginning and actual character. He is no Rock or Stone Cold. He is fucking Diesel. I do not understand why they intentionally derail all of the momentum Seth Rollins gained in his return and put him back in his role that we all know that he sucks at. It's like Vince is so stuck with this idea like it's a cult to him.

And AJ? Jesus, why did they even bother bringing him to the main roster? He would have been better off in NXT. 

• Like 2

It's what lies ahead that is worrisome. All of this could've been called following Payback. The closely fought rematch that Roman wins clean followed by AJ saying Roman is great, shucks, then the descent into the 50/50 abyss. Only thing that surprised me was having an Uso pull his leg after the Styles Clash on the chair. AJ will have some good matches but I wouldn't be shocked that last night was the closest he ever gets to the title and being a star for the company. 

2 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

I'll take AJ having blowaway PPV Main Events and great matches on TV over facing The Drifter and Alex Riley. That's just me, though.

Strong point but a counter to that is he'd probably have a PPV special with Nak and/or Joe so it evens out.  

I'm all in on Dana Brooke by the way. When I saw her in NXT many months ago I thought she was a project and she'd never quite get there but she's improved so much so quickly and her character work is top of the line. I don't think she's ready in-ring but she'll get there, she has a bright future.

I'd take AJ having great matches and meaningful builds with the likes of Samoa Joe, Nakamura, Finn Balor, and Austin Aries, then placed in mid card hell off the get go, ruining all the hype they built off his debut as soon as they get the rub off to make Roman look strong and credible.

I'm glad Rollins didn't randomly act like a babyface just because he came back, made valid points as to why he's a heel in his promo. Liked Shane coming out and just doing a solid straightforward match announcement right away.

Thought Charlotte ditching Ric didn't make much sense coming so abruptly, the night after she used a Dana-as-Ric distraction to win. Like at least it could've came off Flair costing her a match or something but he was always successfully helping her.

Glad Jericho is sticking around for another month at least. Guessing Ambrose or Owens win MITB. Hated breaking up the Club so soon and then Styles losing clean was a surprise, hopefully he'll bounce back. Miz/Cesaro was another enjoyable match again.

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'll do you one better. Name the great match that Roman has had with someone who isn't all-world.   Also, yeah go ahead explain the criticism of Rollins if you must.

Vs The Big Show at Extreme Rules 2015. Not only Big Show's best match of last year by a wide margin, but part of Reign's MOTN PPV run that got derailed by Bray Wyatt

Posted 28 March · Report post

They could have Rollins come back as a heel to chase Roman. Because as this WM proves, in WWE every round hole needs a square peg.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess that's what I get for waiting to see how it turns out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Also, yeah go ahead explain the criticism of Rollins if you must.

Short on time. Will run through this quickly.

Rollins is a workrate darling, in as he has great stamina, hits his stuff well, does a lot of complex spots quickly. In 2016, in a world that's slowly squeezing through to the other side of workrate primacy, that stuff is maybe 5th most important in what makes a good wrestler?

Dissonance in style: This is the biggest issue. He was booked primarily as a weak champion, but also had to balance that with being HHH's human avatar on earth (just with less fundamentally sound and focused heat segments than Hunter). He ran with a cruiserweight temperament and a heavyweight's ambition. There was definitely a Napoleon complex there with some of his moves. When not overreaching in that way, he'd throw out a lot of flashy stuff, but without the sort of emotive, showy Lightning Kid in 1991 prickishness he needed. In this regard, even someone like heel John Morrison is better (even if there are things Rollins probably does better than him; he doesn't do this better and he needs to). Therefore, he was more likely to get over as an underdog babyface instead of an opportunistic heel. It's lack of vision, lack of message. And some of that is because Rollins' vision is tampered with due to his role and how he was booked, sure, but some of it is just due to having shitty vision, the mindset that working hard and putting on the traditional Japanese-oriented workrate heavy WON five star match is the ideal as opposed to getting over a narrative and properly playing a role in the name of a much more transcendent and long-lasting quality. I don't think he's a victim of booking so much as he's a victim of growing up in the IWC era and thus seeing action as a substitute for pacing and character and build and payoff within a match and between matches. 

Maybe it's just that Reigns is better produced and listens to his handlers better, but allowing yourself to fit into the vision of others and executing that vision well is better than holding onto a vision that doesn't work, or that's one-dimensional at best. 

There are roles that Rollins would be good at. We saw him do well in the Shield as a shine spot dynamo, as a face-in-peril, as someone who could hit the big dives that help set up a finish. I think he'd do very well in 6 minute Nitro-era cruiserweight matches. It's just that those are the absolute nadir of what good wrestling can be, well-choreographed candy, lots of style, little substance. Rollins gets plenty of Skate or Die style points as he runs through his matches. To some people, that makes him great. I get where these people are coming from, but it's literally the least interesting and engaging way to appreciate wrestling (and I would say "think about wrestling" too but that'd be a lie, as it's the absolute absence of analysis).

• Like 4

To be fair, people were surprised that AJ got signed in the first place due to his age.  That's probably the mentality:  Get as much out of him as possible, but any long-term plans probably won't involve him being a standard-bearer in the company.

1 minute ago, (BP) said:

They haven't even formed an unlikely tag team and then turned on each other yet. 

Just for the record - when this happens, I am totally blaming you

• Like 3

If nothing else, that particular trope of wacky mismatched tag partners who hate each other makes me wonder if we'll see Owens and Zayn hold the WWE Tag Titles at some point.  Hey, they're 1-0 in WWE competition.

Jericho's been a great heel and has more than justified his presence - anyone arguing that he should have put Apollo Crews over probably hasn't really paid attention to how bad Apollo Crews is.

So much fucking Sheamus on this show

• Like 1

Reigns is the new Cena. Whenever there is a storyline with Reigns where you are scratching your head, just think about how Cena would be booked in that situation.

A feud with Styles? Reigns wins, Styles drops down the card. That's the way Cena feuds work. Nobody was trying to elevate Styles. Styles was just keeping Rollins spot warm.

Rollins returns as a face? Not likely. Why would he return as a face when he will be feuding with the companys top face. Doesn't make any sense.

7 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Jericho's been a great heel and has more than justified his presence - anyone arguing that he should have put Apollo Crews over probably hasn't really paid attention to how bad Apollo Crews is.

So much fucking Sheamus on this show

Money in the Bank is a car wreck match. It already has Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens. Chris Jericho being in it does nothing for him or anybody else for that matter. He is the Kane of the WWE at this point whose legitimacy is based on the precendence of whom he was in the past. He is the least over person and he is marginally better than Dolph Ziggler in terms of what a victory over him means. If anything, it probably would be better if they threw a bunch of young/hungry/untested/unproven guys in there because Chris Jericho's days of being relevant are over. They need to start building Apollo now or he will be thrown away like Alex Riley.From what I get from Crews is that he needs to work on the story telling part of wrestling which to be fair, is not exactly something that is too hard to work on. 

Or they could just sign ACH or Cedric Alexander.

My weekend had THREE indie shows:  St. Louis Anarchy on Friday and Saturday, then "Wrestling Invades America" on Sunday.  Attendance was a bit down due to a combination of nice weather, Blues hockey playoffs(though they're taking their usual postseason trajectory), and PointFest on Saturday.  T.J. Perkins and Jonathan Gresham were in town for SLA.  One wrestler told me by name to shut the F up because I was a bit too vocal during his promo.  Really liking Ricky Starks' current character; he worked as an unnamed jobber on NXT a few months back, so now he's delusional and thinking a WWE deal is just around the corner (constantly talking about his good friend "Paul" up north).  I saw a five-way trapezius claw during a tag match.  Talked with local veteran Gary Jackson at the Sunday show.  Good times.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people have pegged Cena as the next challenger for Rusev but I wonder if Cena's going to go after Miz and the IC Title leaving AJ to go against Rusev. This way Cena can work with the easier style of Miz and depending on Nikki's status, you have a ready made opponent for her in Maryse. House shows could have Miz/Maryse vs. Cena/Nikki. Also AJ/Rusev could be all kinds of fun with The Balor Club costing AJ the US title and Rusev can continue to march towards being the longest reigning US Champion ever