DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules VIII

Dolfan in NYC

Roman is absolutely not being carried by anyone. He's growing into one of the best guys on the roster. They are wise, however, to put him with really accomplished guys like AJ who they can count on for great matches. Roman's very good, but he's not a ring general yet (and that'll come with time.) He doesn't need to be carried, but he's in too vulnerable a position and he's not ready to carry someone else. Fortunately, they have an absurdly deep roster of great guys to pair him with. 

Apparently Enzo was in Newark and is traveling now?  I would have bet anything that he would have reappeared in that pre-show Dudleys segment (or sometime later on in the night), even just as a co-mouthpiece/directing traffic with Cass.

I've grown pretty apathetic about Roman.  Nothing's gonna change what they're doing with him, so why bother getting worked up?  Don't hate him(he had some cool spots last night), not a huge fan of him.  Nowadays, it seems like the hatred from each side fuels the other side as they've both decided to be complete assholes to each other.

I think Nattie/Charlotte was still pretty good, although they've had better matches previously. Nattie looks the best she's looked in some time, IMO. Although we got another weird finish, it will have been worth it if we are going to get the comedy stylings of both Dana and Flair in Charlotte's corner. 

Rusev and Lana should never be separated again. 

I half-watched the show in parts and focused in on the finishing run for the main event. I don't get people calling that "better" than their Payback match. Do you remember when The Styles Clash was an instant death finisher? Instead Roman kicks out of 2 Clashes (1 on a chair) and gets the Rock at WM X-7 Steel Chair treatment and still survives?

Really, WWE? There's booking your top guy/babyface strong and then there's absolutely insulting your audience's intelligence. It was insulting when you did it with Hogan, it was insulting when you did it with Cena and it's even more insulting when you can't even get a crowd to buy into the fact that your top babyface is a top babyface (and I'm by no means an anti-Roman guy).

• Like 3

After Roman speared AJ out of nowhere, my girlfriend looked at me and said "Really? That was it?" 

Also, where does The Club go from here? There are so many interesting directions you could've gone with AJ winning the belt, the Club running wild, Seth returning, and the eventual build to a Shield reunion to take out The Club once and for all.

But instead, WWE goes the least interesting route. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

After Roman speared AJ out of nowhere, my girlfriend looked at me and said "Really? That was it?" 

Also, where does The Club go from here? There are so many interesting directions you could've gone with AJ winning the belt, the Club running wild, Seth returning, and the eventual build to a Shield reunion to take out The Club once and for all.

But instead, WWE goes the least interesting route. 

So, you were advocating for Reigns to become a 4-time WHC in a year?  I like the guy, and even I'll say that's overkill.

This whole 'AJ wasn't protected' shtick would be hilarious if it wasn't so offbase.  Outside of Reigns and soon to be Cena, no one else in WWE has been afforded such respect in what offense their opponents take/sell.  Reigns gave as much as he took last night, and not once has gotten in AJ's way to get his stuff in.

Reigns beat the snot out of Styles--turnbuckle throws, back body drops, swinging him into barricades, at least one spear midway through, that awesome Crucifix Power Bomb!  Most guys would have been finished countless times during that match.  AJ kept going, and both he and Reigns sold like death for each other.

This rivalry has elevated both guys.  Yeah, the point was always to have Reigns go over.  He's the newly minted champ who Vince/HHH/Steph/whoever actually want to book decently right now, that was going to be the case no matter who his opponent was.  But with that opponent being Styles, Reigns was genuinely tested and Styles was pushed directly into the main event.  Fuck it, tell Rollins to go back home and let AJ/Roman fight until Summer Slam.  Come up with new stipulations for the matches and see what other cool stuff they can come up with. The main event scene of the last several weeks has been fire, and it's a credit to both men.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

Except for the part where Roman beat AJ's ass for minutes at a time.  His spear is his finishing move, why wouldn't him spearing a fully in-flight AJ be a finishing move?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

My buddy and I did the same thing. Other than obvious one-offs like kennel from hell, the major ones we came up with were I quit, strap, stretcher, inferno, tables, and chairs (although he's been in a couple TLCs).

Oh, and the show was ok I guess. If AJ had won with that WM 17 finish, that would've been badass. I'm happy to see Seth back, hopefully he gets a new finisher. Also the Vaudevillains are officially dead. Xavier Woods kicking out of your established team finisher with no shenanigans? See you guys on Superstars.

I feel like Jericho had a handicapped tables match against the Dudleys in 00 or 01. Back when it seemed like every week one of the McMahons or HHH was putting Jericho or Rock in a handicap match to punish them for something.

So the Fatal Four Way was the match of the night and the right person went over in that match in the fashion he should. Plus the Miz would've lost cleanly had the ref not been so preoccupied with Maryse being dragged into the ring. Like he spent a lot of time admonishing her for no real reason just so he could miss the Miz tapping out.

Rusev is clearly losing the belt tonight as he is too proud in claiming he will be the longest reigning US Champion in history. Neville's due back soon right? (of course Cena might come back a week early just to fuck with Rusev)

The Club have the perfect excuse to add Balor to their name tonight. They gave AJ Styles every chance possible to win and he just was not good enough to win the big one. So since AJ is a failure, it's time to meet their other good brother who AJ replaced when he left for greener pastures, Finn Balor. Now we get AJ feuding with the Balor Club and maybe we could bring up some of AJ's TNA friends (Aries/Roode) to balance the odds.

So MITB is four weeks away. Who are the odds on favorite to win? Kofi Kingston is still my top choice since it seems like WWE is good at doing things with MITB a year too late most of the time. Dean Ambrose makes the logical sense here since Seth is back. Depending on how high they are on Neville, I could see him getting the fluke win, since they let him almost win it last year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

So the Fatal Four Way was the match of the night and the right person went over in that match in the fashion he should. Plus the Miz would've lost cleanly had the ref not been so preoccupied with Maryse being dragged into the ring. Like he spent a lot of time admonishing her for no real reason just so he could miss the Miz tapping out.

Rusev is clearly losing the belt tonight as he is too proud in claiming he will be the longest reigning US Champion in history. Neville's due back soon right? (of course Cena might come back a week early just to fuck with Rusev)

The Club have the perfect excuse to add Balor to their name tonight. They gave AJ Styles every chance possible to win and he just was not good enough to win the big one. So since AJ is a failure, it's time to meet their other good brother who AJ replaced when he left for greener pastures, Finn Balor. Now we get AJ feuding with the Balor Club and maybe we could bring up some of AJ's TNA friends (Aries/Roode) to balance the odds.

So MITB is four weeks away. Who are the odds on favorite to win? Kofi Kingston is still my top choice since it seems like WWE is good at doing things with MITB a year too late most of the time. Dean Ambrose makes the logical sense here since Seth is back. Depending on how high they are on Neville, I could see him getting the fluke win, since they let him almost win it last year.

Kevin Owens is my favourite to win the Money in the Bank Ladder match. Other contenders: a New Day member, likely Kofi, Dean Ambrose and maybe Sami Zayn?

15 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

Except for the part where Roman beat AJ's ass for minutes at a time.  His spear is his finishing move, why wouldn't him spearing a fully in-flight AJ be a finishing move?

Particularly THAT Spear. I'd say that's the best one Roman's ever hit,

6 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

Most likely the MITB match will have AJ, Ambrose, whoever isn't challenging Miz (of the Cesaro, KO, Zayn group) and then you can just have a couple of folks fill that out (which could be anyone from Cena and Orton to Bray and Jericho).

I am sure they will put Ziggler in it because of course the guy who lost on the kickoff should get a world title shot

I am not sure they would want one of Neville's first matches back to be in MITB

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Particularly THAT Spear. I'd say that's the best one Roman's ever hit,

He hit another really good one earlier in the match where he dove over the ring steps to spear AJ on the floor.  That and the Splash Mountain bomb were two of my favorite spots of the match from him.

• Like 2

If we had to recommend Roman Reigns' best matches excluding Shield tags to someone, what do we have? I've got these four locks:

vs. Daniel Bryan, Fastlane 2015

vs. Brock Lesnar vs. Seth Rollins, WrestleMania XXXI

vs. AJ Styles, Payback 2016

vs. AJ Styles, Extreme Rules 2016

What else?

EDIT: If we included Shield matches, the locks to me:

vs. Daniel Bryan/Kane/Ryback, TLC 2012

vs. The Undertaker/Daniel Bryan/Kane, RAW (22nd April 2014)

vs. Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan, Elimination Chamber 2014

vs. Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan, RAW (3rd March 2014)

4 minutes ago, Patrick B. said:

He hit another really good one earlier in the match where he dove over the ring steps to spear AJ on the floor.  That and the Splash Mountain bomb were two of my favorite spots of the match from him.

Good shout. Forgot about that earlier Spear.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I half-watched the show in parts and focused in on the finishing run for the main event. I don't get people calling that "better" than their Payback match. Do you remember when The Styles Clash was an instant death finisher? Instead Roman kicks out of 2 Clashes (1 on a chair) and gets the Rock at WM X-7 Steel Chair treatment and still survives?

I do remember when the Styles Clash was an instant death finisher....in TNA. It has never gotten a pin in the WWE. Curtis Axel kicked out of it. I don't see why it's a leap that it is treated as a believable nearfall and nothing more.

Anyone else think Vince expected Seth to get a heel reaction?  Meltzer said they were planning to bring him back as a heel and he returned by jumping a guy after the guy's match, hitting his murder-death-kill move, and posing with the other guy's belt.  That is hardly ever a babyface spot, even in the WWE.  Surely, they can't still be mis-estimating how much people dislike Roman?

Ok show.  The tweener AJ-Roman/Club-Family program has been the best thing they've done in quite awhile, so I'll be disappointed if it was just something to kill time until Seth's return and they forget about it immediately.  But they've done that before, so....

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Really, WWE? There's booking your top guy/babyface strong and then there's absolutely insulting your audience's intelligence. It was insulting when you did it with Hogan, it was insulting when you did it with Cena and it's even more insulting when you can't even get a crowd to buy into the fact that your top babyface is a top babyface (and I'm by no means an anti-Roman guy).

So if given the choice, WWE should not recreate Hulk Hogan and John Cena style runs?

Are you serious?

Just now, Goodear said:

So if given the choice, WWE should not recreate Hulk Hogan and John Cena style runs?

Are you serious?

No, I'm just saying there's booking a guy as super human and then there's booking a guy like you booked Roman last night. Dude should have been out for ages with that chair beating, much less have the strength to overcome the soreness from said attack to leap up that high in the air to hit a spear.

It was awful both from a believable and a base wrestling psychology/selling aspect.

• Like 2