DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For JUNE 1, 2016

RIPPA

From PWI

Week 2:

- The Revival comes out to cut a promo about becoming two time NXT Tag Team Champions. Johnny Gargano and Thomasso Ciampa come out and confront the Revival, saying they've already have their chance. The Revival try to attack, but Gargano and Ciampa get the upper hand.

- Tye Dillinger def. Buddy Murphy  (Yes, he has his first name back)

- Austin Aries def. Elias Samson 

- Asuka and Nia Jax have a contract signing. Nia says she isn't scared of Asuka. Asuka says Nia should be. Nia pushes Asuka, Asuka hits back, and Nia catches a kick and lays Asuka out with a power bomb. 

- Johnny Gargano and Thomasso Ciampa def. The Revival. 

Post match: The Revival attacks Ciampa until American Alpha makes the save. The Revival and American Alpha brawl until the Revival runs off.

Dark match: Adrienne Reese def Nikki Glencross 

Dark Match: Finn Balor and Shinsuke Nakamura def. Tye Dillinger and Samoa Joe

Notes:

- After missing the last taping due to travel issues, Greg Hamilton was back as a ring announcer and live host. Dasha Fuentes was also working as a ring announcer and live host.

- Bayley did appear in a backstage vignette, wishing Carmella luck before her match.

Per WON

- In ring promo by The Revival who say American Alpha are a fine amateur team. They're interrupted by Ciampa and Gargano who want a match with The Revival. Entertaining stuff, Revival was cleared out of the ring.

- Tye Dillinger beat Buddy Murphy

No Alexa or Blake with Murphy tonight. Big reaction for Dillinger. Murphy tried to work headlocks, yet Dillinger was able to fire up with a superkick and an over the knee neckbreaker for the win.

- Austin Aries beat Elias Samson

As always, major heat on The Drifter with long booing throughout his promo. Aries won via Last chancery submission. Post match, he cut a promo saying he will beat Nakamura.

- Regal is out for the women's title match contract signing. Nia puts down Asuka and says she broke Bayley. Asuka said “You talk too much” then went off in Japanese to a huge pop. A brawl broke out and Nia powerbombed Asuka who stayed down and sold in the go home angle.

- Johnny Gargano and Tomasso Ciampa beat The Revival

Great match with a big upset surprise win when Gargano hit a superplex. Post match, The Revival beat down the indie darlings before Alpha made the save. Alpha and Revival brawled for a long time with Alpha clearing house.

- Adrienne Reese beat Nikki Storm

This probably doesn't make tv. It was a fun match with the top rope spinning stunner as the amazing finish.

- Dark Match: Finn Balor and Shinsuke Nakamura beat Tye Dillinger and NXT Champion Samoa Joe

We got a great dark match main event to send the crowd home happy. Amazing reactions for Shinsuke and Finn with a lot of fun spots and Shinsuke being the star that he is. Shinsuke pins Joe with the Kinshasa.

• 2 weeks later...

That contract signing got me really excited for Asuka/Nia even though I just saw that match and it was just okay. 

Finn/Joe interview was awesome too.

The tag match was solid, but Johnny Gargano is not my cup of tea. Especially that silly schoolboy/kick roll through thing he does that looks so painfully contrived. 

Arn Anderson Jr. did the feint punch/DDT again. It was great. If they don't use this dude as the grizzled, tough second for a charismatic world champion, they'll really be fucking things up with him. 

Nakamura and Asuka cut better promos in English than like eighty percent of the roster. 

Whatever she said in Japanese got across way more than most 20 minutes promos do.

I'm kind of bummed Dawson broke out the Arn DDT and the crowd was asleep for it because it was the end of a taping.  Especially love the setup of Dash throwing punches at Gargano right before that and ducking worked.

I thought Murphy looked pretty good for his first singles match on TV in forever, but it probably helps being in there with Dillinger.

Adrande at Takeover!

Has Murphy's first name always been Buddy? That just seems like such an un-WWE name. 

So, I'm looking forward to Nia vs. Asuka. Nia is so going to get knocked out cold in that match. They really need to change her entrance music though. That poppy "I'm not every girl" theme song just doesn't work for someone who is trying to be a destroyer of worlds.

I loved Nia's "Scared of what?" *shrug* when she left the ring. It hit me that she's badly miscast as a heel. Casual ass-kicking face would suit her a lot better, but I guess Asuka's got the market cornered on that.

I like Nia, but I agree 100% that her current gimmick is DOA. She is SO likable on Breaking Ground, and her heel character seems to just be "you have pretty eyes."

I like Ciampa so much more than Gargano at this point, but I do appreciate Johnny selling the superplex after getting the flash roll-up.

I think the Drifter has been better than Aries in NXT and it kind of bums me out that he's getting jobbed out (even though he's getting to wrestle on the top of the card with the main event talent).

Ty Dillinger is awesome. If they raid NXT for Smackdown in the draft, I hope he and The Drifter stay around and feud over the title.

Buddy Murphy has some heel-stooge chops, he just needs a gimmick. I would love to see a pro-Australian heel just for something silly but could potentially have some teeth after turning cheap heat intro real heat with a hot feud.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2016 at 11:33 PM, Phantom Lord said:

Has Murphy's first name always been Buddy? That just seems like such an un-WWE name. 

So, I'm looking forward to Nia vs. Asuka. Nia is so going to get knocked out cold in that match. They really need to change her entrance music though. That poppy "I'm not every girl" theme song just doesn't work for someone who is trying to be a destroyer of worlds.

Buddy Murphy sounds like what you would name your two yellow labs.

• Like 1