Smackdown Spoilers for 5/19/16

victor

Main Event Spoilers:

* Titus O'Neil and Jack Swagger defeated Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas

* Apollo Crews defeated Viktor

* Alberto Del Rio defeated Zack Ryder

Smackdown Spoilers:

* The “Asylum” structure is hanging above the ring

* Kevin Owens defeated Cesaro with a roll-up when Cesaro was distracted by Sami Zayn and WWE Intercontinental Champion The Miz, who had been on commentary. Maryse was with Miz

* Dana Brooke dominated and defeated Paige in a quick match. Becky Lynch was on commentary

* Dolph Ziggler defeated Sheamus. Baron Corbin comes out after and cuts a promo on Ziggler, saying he will kick his ass at Extreme Rules

* Chris Jericho comes to the ring and gets big heat as he knocks the crowd. The Asylum starts to lower around the ring. Jericho goes on with his promo until Dean Ambrose, disguised as a ring crew worker, jumps in the ring and beats Jericho around. Ambrose unloads with a kendo stick and stands tall

* New vignette with Bob Backlund and Darren Young airs

* Big Cass and WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day vs. The Vaudevillains and The Dudley Boyz is next. Cass and New Day got big pops, Cass got a few hot tags and finally won with a pin on Bubba Ray Dudley

* WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns vs. Luke Gallows ends in a DQ when everyone brawls. The Usos, AJ Styles and Karl Anderson taunted each other all through the match, leading to everything falling apart. Referees break it up and Reigns is left in the ring with Styles. They grab steel chairs but swing at the same time and AJ drops his. AJ nails a pele kick and a chair shot to the back, knocking Reigns out of the ring. Styles stands tall to end SmackDown.

25 minutes ago, victor said:

* Dolph Ziggler defeated Sheamus. Baron Corbin comes out after and cuts a promo on Ziggler, saying he will kick his ass at Extreme Rules

Good God. Whom did Sheamus piss off?

I think Sheamus is due for a regression. He's been pushed pretty solidly as an upper midcarder for over a year, including MITB and a brief run with the strap that bombed. There isn't much for him to do right now and with the emphasis on the "new generation," there aren't many guys who exemplify early 2010s staleness better than Sheamus. Del Rio is in the same boat.

6 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I think Sheamus is due for a regression. He's been pushed pretty solidly as an upper midcarder for over a year, including MITB and a brief run with the strap that bombed. There isn't much for him to do right now and with the emphasis on the "new generation," there aren't many guys who exemplify early 2010s staleness better than Sheamus. Del Rio is in the same boat.

Hopefully, that boat with Sheamus and Del Rio will be a lifeboat headed for TNA. 

12 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I think Sheamus is due for a regression. He's been pushed pretty solidly as an upper midcarder for over a year, including MITB and a brief run with the strap that bombed

How did it bomb? He managed to get Roman a huge pop for beating him.

• Like 1

Sheamus as champ was the worst stretch of WWE tv in the last two years, which covers some ground. The pop for that match was all Vince. Anyone would've gotten that pop in the same spot. Sheamus had zero heat before or after that match.

I remember when I first saw Sheamus, it was when he won that battle royal for a title shot in what I believe was his Raw debut. I thought to myself, "Who's this guy and what is he doing in the world title picture?"

Good to see some things never change.

On 5/18/2016 at 11:14 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hopefully, that boat with Sheamus and Del Rio will be a lifeboat headed for TNA. 

Pretty sure Del Rio would just remain unemployed than work for TNA. He doesn't need to work for a company that will never pay him on time. My guess is he'd just show up in Lucha Underground

It's really too bad, because it was great seeing Del Rio motivated and over in LU. It's sad watching a guy with that much talent just mail it in and be one of the most boring guys in the company, but I guess you can't argue with the paycheck.

I felt like more should have been made of Styles' foot grab of Reigns during the main event.  After all this time of portraying himself as a fair guy who simply couldn't control his more aggressive buddies, that was his first unprovoked openly-heelish act.

Management deserves credit for letting them run with it, but New Day deserve tons of love and appreciation for reaching out to all kinds of interests.  Whether it's internet memes, video games, hip-hop, shows, anime, random pop culture, whatever, they have it all covered.   If you want a representative for WWE, have them go everywhere they can that covers these genres.  The more coverage they get the better it is for everybody.  For example, at Magfest I was stunned how many people were huge fans of UpUpDownDown.  And most of them didn't even watch wrestling, but they were certainly entertained by the wrestlers on there (the Bayley/Sasha one was a favorite for many)

I don't know why I'm going on about this here, but mah gawd I love the New Day.

• Like 1

I don't understand how WWE seemingly leaves certain populations on the table.  Raw is constantly beaten in the 18-49 demo by Love & Hip Hop.  Young POC make up a large number of that viewership.  You have several people on the roster that would appeal to these potential fans.  I'm not saying everyone that fills that demographic, but put some effort into growing your audience.

Crowd was hot for Club/Bloodline, there's a "wwe.com exclusive" video of what happened off air and the crowd gets even hotter.

Even if he has to drop it back at the next PPV, id love to see AJ win the title Sunday. 

Was a pretty fun show.  Club/Bloodline stuff was all good.  Enjoyed Miz on commentary.  Dana Brooke crushing Paige was fun.  Dudleyz/Villains-NewDay+Cass was lots of fun, too, even if we just basically saw the exact same match a couple weeks back.

Personally, I'd partner Sheamus up with someone from NXT or barely on WWE TV (Swagger?) in a tag team and have the announcers talk about Sheamus using a run in the tag division to rebuild his confidence.  There's lots of teams around to feud with as either a face (Shining Stars, Dudleyz, Vaudevillains) or heel (New Day, Enzo/Cass, Lucha Dragons) and then when the team has run its course, you either turn Sheamus' partner on him, or have him turn on his partner and have a built-in feud for when you need him back as a singles wrestler.

• Like 1