DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown spoilers for 9/6/13

Overly Critical Man

So WWE officials told Bryan not to come to the town hall meeting and he listened to them?

Hasn't everyone been griping about Bryan walking into no-lose situations and looking dumb as a result?

There is a middle ground. Beer truck milk truck Naked Juice truck driven into the arena, contents sprayed on HHH and Orton as they flounder around in the ring looking like doofuses is that middle ground that I think people want to see. I think. I could be characterizing some of the complaints incorrectly. 

I'm loving the snarky responses to a show that hasn't aired yet. It's still just three weeks and its still instant gratification whining. No offense.

None taken and I understand your point, but there isn't a living human on Earth who doesn't judge things they haven't seen and/or done.  Often we do this with much less evidence then a spoiler report.   I will watch this show and likely enjoy a ton of it, but if someone reads this report and thinks it's stupid I don't see a single reason why they should be faulted for pointing out that they don't like the repetitive nature of the ending or anything else for that matter.  

I'm loving the snarky responses to a show that hasn't aired yet. It's still just three weeks and its still instant gratification whining. No offense.

None taken and I understand your point, but there isn't a living human on Earth who doesn't judge things they haven't seen and/or done. Often we do this with much less evidence then a spoiler report. I will watch this show and likely enjoy a ton of it, but if someone reads this report and thinks it's stupid I don't see a single reason why they should be faulted for pointing out that they don't like the repetitive nature of the ending or anything else for that matter.
The thing is,wrestling reports tend to miss the nuances as well as commentary, etc, etc. And I'm not saying folks can't say "that's repetitive." I'm saying that complaining about repetitiveness, when also complaining about rushed stories and lack of long term storytelling, is "I don't want my cake and I won't eat it, too!" Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but an opinion based on other opinions and clip watching stinks.

If it sticks...is AJ/Aksana/Alicia Fox possibly the worst stable ever?

I want The Apple stable back.  Where is Santino anyway?

Trying to resurrect Bat-Bat. He'll be back in a few weeks.

So WWE officials told Bryan not to come to the town hall meeting and he listened to them?

I don't know how much more of this rebellion I can take from Bryan. He's really sticking it to the man.

I've got to watch this just to see a face reaction for Curtis Axel. They better not cut that out and edit in fake boos.

Ok...even if AJ manipulated them...it's still hilarious that Aksana and Alicia Fox consider themselves serious wrestlers.

I don't think it has anything to do with "serious wrestlers". Its just the reality show and them arguing over the spotlight because thats what women do.

Ok...even if AJ manipulated them...it's still hilarious that Aksana and Alicia Fox consider themselves serious wrestlers.

I don't think it has anything to do with "serious wrestlers". Its just the reality show and them arguing over the spotlight because thats what women do.

Also, if you were AJ, who would you rather face - Natalya, or Aksana?

- Opening segment was really effective in setting up matches. HHH is still a total corporate dick. He made matches in a really logical manner. So many times, these matches just get put together and they make no sense. But this was done well. I loved Damien Sandow's gloating. 3MB are such great dweebs, too. Kofi also was good stepping up to speak up. Ryback's "Big Guy" meathead stuff is gold, too.- Randy Orton's hot streak continues. This was perfectly laid out for a RVD match. RVD got his spots in, didn't take any foolish time setting stuff up. Randy hit his nasty stuff (loves his claw when RVD was on the apron) and the Rolling Thunder/Power Slam spot was golden. ADR and JBL's rich person rapport at ringside was great. Cole and JBL have seriously been awesome since this angle started. They work so well together, too. Get Lawler out of there, please. I loved, loved, LOVED the end segment. ADR attacks Ricardo (who has been a great second for RVD) and RVD does his no hands flip to the floor against his rival and to stick up for his little buddy. Orton capitalizes and hits such a dickish spot with a hangman's DDT off the apron to the floor. Kudos to RVD for being willing to end his life like that. Randy then hits a completely needless RKO to seal the deal. Then ADR (who boasted about he wanted RVD at 100%) lays the boots to a helpless RVD. This seriously could be one of the Top 15-20 matches of the year. I can't believe I'm saying that about Randy Orton (who completely blew until his turn) and a 65-year-old RVD. Randy's been absolutely amazing and big ups to RVD for having his stuff work well in the context of the match. Indeed, this was awesome.

- Daniel's fired up promos are great. "I wasn't invited to the town hall meeting." Also, great logic about how The Shield will interfere. Bryan's willing to accept that nonsense to prove himself and his point.- AJ's still throwing fire. "They're covered in sparkles... but mostly shame." I love her manipulating the other girls (heels?) into admitting what they already believe -- that the Total Divas are stealing their spotlight. I wish they did this on Raw instead. AJ going after all of them at once set this up but it was sort of an unnecessary step that cut off AJ's momentum a bit after her awesome stuff to Monday's ago. But I still really like this angle a lot.- Dolph/Ryback was also predictably solid. Dolph used his smarts and quickness vs. Ryback's strength. This will be shocking, but Dolph took a great corner bump. But the star of this segment was Dean Ambrose. Dean sneaked in from the back to steal a spot at commentary. Cole backed away from him out of fear. Dean then was a total sleaze telling Cole stuff like "You've never been more safe!" Dean put over The Shield's reasoning ("We've always done what's best for business") and Dolph's been targeted. Dean crushed it on the mic in his FCW days and they haven't let him run with that part of his ability yet, aside from those two minute handheld camera spots he has to share. This dude is a legit main event guy at some point and this was the first time he really showed that on the mic. Dolph and Ryback end up on the floor. Dean baited Dolph. Dean does a great tough guy and then a good "OH SH-" before chucking the headset off and hiding behind Ryback who hits a real tight meathook. Dean sits all cocky on the ringsteps as he watches Dolph take a loss. Good stuff all around.- Kofi and Curtis Axel was another good match when I wasn't thinking one. Crowd was hot for the hometown-ish Curtis. Both guys brought their working shoes. Kofi stole the win with whatever they call that match. Really good athletic, smart spots from Kofi. I really wish they just really teased the Perfect Plex (the heel fans were chanting it). Heyman was great -- "I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING! I'M AN ADVOCATE!"- They replayed the Bray "Icarus" promo. I will rave about this again because that's what I do for The Wyatt Family.

- Heyman takes the blame for Axel's loss since they've been so focused on Punk in an interview with Renee. This is the best secondary feud they've had in ages. So hyped for that match.- Funkadactyl vs. whatever Bella Twin had a few spots. Naomi's got some athleticism, at least. They both took the most awkwardly set up fall to the outside to cue the Less Total Divas to rush to ringside and give them a Nexus-style beatdown. AJ grabbed the mic. "LADIES AND NERDS!" Bwahahahahahaha. I wish the Total Divas were worth something (Maybe Naomi is? And maybe Nattie can do something?) because Layla and AJ can work and Alicia's not bad. Aksana's awful. Please oh please get Summer Rae and Paige up already.- We The People vs. Usos got off to a great start. Cesaro's leap frog double stomp was ridiculous. Jay Uso hiptossed Cesaro over the top off of a quick tag and then went into a dive to the floor. Jack tossed Jay Uso off the floor who ate the European Uppercut for the loss. Fun little sprint.

- HHH sets up Big Show vs. 3MB and continues manipulating the big man, who is still in emotional turmoil. Man, the crowd is going to ape when he finally slugs HHH.

-  Show just beat the hell out of 3MB. Those dudes will eat absolutely anything and do not care. Big Show punching out the completely panicked Heath Slater was nasty. So was Drew taking a kick with his head up on the apron.- Nice juxtaposition as it moves from one trio being dominated by HHH's indentured servant to The Shield coming down.

- There was a buzz before Daniel's music played. He's electrifying right now. Bryan/Rollins wasn't as great as their last match but that match was amazing. Story was great: Bryan had Rollins' number unless his partners got involved. Once they did, Rollins had the advantage. Great, still kicks. Rollins took a German right on his neck. Bryan figured out a way to outwit The Shield and once he had Rollins alone he hit The Knee Of Doom for the win. Crowd goes crazy. Bryan leads The Yes Chant and Orton lays him out from behind with a belt shot. As Cole said -- you put Daniel Bryan in the ring with a reasonably fair chance, he WILL beat you. But he doesn't have that right now.

To sum: This was fantastic. Everyone has their working boots in the ring. The out-of-the ring stuff has been really tight. The WWE is clicking right now like it hasn't been in years. Most fun I've had as a wrestling fan in ages. Anyone who doesn't like this or wants to get outraged over some hen-peck stuff -- I don't know what to tell you.

• Like 2