DVDVR Message Board

Annual WWE Future Endeavoring Thread

On May 12, 2016 at 7:13 AM, supremebve said:

That seems like a pretty harsh punishment for what is essentially a heated argument.  That dude was out of pocket, but that is a super bad beat if he ends up in jail for that.  Nothing about that report makes me think he had any intention to cause her harm, but you have to be able to control yourself.  

Grabbing the phone away during a 911 call is what abusers do and hence why it is frowned upon heavily in the law. And, there is no excuse for grabbing anyone, especially a lady when you are a big dude, by the head during an argument. Sorry, I can't share your shock. With that said, unlikely he does any time. 

2 hours ago, turk128 said:

Doesn't New Day getting super over and to a large part when MizDow basically got over by themselves refute this? If you get over and demonstrate that you can consistently get over while weathering the storms*, you're golden.

*this caveat applies to Ryder and Ziggler.

The New Day was a unique case- because much of that I think was due to Up Up Down Down giving them a bit of insurance.  

Also Miz can get anyone over- think Miz & Morrison, his world title run (which was deserved), and even getting useless Riley ever.

He could have gotten Erik Watts and Greg Gagne over.

49 minutes ago, alstein said:

Also Miz can get anyone over- think Miz & Morrison, his world title run (which was deserved), and even getting useless Riley ever.

He could have gotten Erik Watts and Greg Gagne over.

Miz is great at being a hateable shitbag, but let's not get crazy. Nobody could get Erik Watts and Greg Gagne over. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Miz is great at being a hateable shitbag, but let's not get crazy. Nobody could get Erik Watts and Greg Gagne over. 

Greg Gagne was over as a member of the High Flyers. He was never really over as a singles wrestler.

Not to deviate from the thread topic but from what limited footage I've seen of Greg Gagne from AWA when ESPN Classic was showing the old AWA show the "Greg gange was never over" thing seems to be a myth I remember watching an episode and I want to say Greg did a run in during a Jerry Blackwell match and just let loose on Blackwell and the crowd went nuts for him.

I know we all hate the writers but honestly "creative has nothing for you" is just a nice way of firing people.  Same as your boss saying "yeah, it's budget cuts we had to let someone go" and then two days later hiring someone new. 

59 minutes ago, offspring515 said:

I know we all hate the writers but honestly "creative has nothing for you" is just a nice way of firing people.  Same as your boss saying "yeah, it's budget cuts we had to let someone go" and then two days later hiring someone new. 

I don't know that I agree with that. I think the writers have a really tough time with guys who have roster stink on them. Traditionally, you've had jobber stink. That's the difficulty of rising from jobber status once you've being relegated to C-Shows and losing all of your televised matches. But roster stink is something caused by too much tv time to fill and too little attention paid to non-main event storylines/angles. The writers would much prefer a blank slate that has no stink on it than figuring out how to rehabilitate a Sandow or a Rhodes.

1 hour ago, offspring515 said:

This is a great point.  Who knows what happens backstage.  Creative has something for everyone at least once in their career.  They talent needs to take advantage of the break and work their hardest.  The guys who really want it will get it.  Look at someone like Drew Galloway.  So many guys are released and live off the old WWE name and gimmick for as long as they can.  A guy like Galloway, or Sydal, or EC3 go out there and fucking get it.  All three have reinvented themselves.  I don;t even know what the poit of this rant is, but I guess some guys get released and it shows that they are the ones who really want to excel and will do anything to make it.    

I'm curious whether Cody ever took his ideas straight to Vince.  It seems like both Austin & Jericho have made that point over and over on their podcast, and while I'm sure it isn't quite that simple, it seems like if you're going to spend that much time going off on the writers, you would make that extra effort.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paragon11 said:

Adam Rose has officially been released

For what it is worth - the WWE story is saying he requested his release

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While I agree with him about this, Jim Cornette will rant about anything as long as people keep paying attention to him. The way to get rid of Jim Cornette is stop paying attention to him, just like getting rid of Freddy Krueger by not having dreams. 

That usually didn't work very well in the movies.

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

For what it is worth - the WWE story is saying he requested his release

Is it possible instead of outright getting fired, WWE's letting Rose fall on his sword, get released, and get the rest of his downside so him and his family aren't totally screwed?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Not to deviate from the thread topic but from what limited footage I've seen of Greg Gagne from AWA when ESPN Classic was showing the old AWA show the "Greg gange was never over" thing seems to be a myth I remember watching an episode and I want to say Greg did a run in during a Jerry Blackwell match and just let loose on Blackwell and the crowd went nuts for him.

Greg Gagne was also pretty good as a worker. He's got this mythology surrounding him as the un-over, overpushed son of the promoter that is tied together with that silly image of him in army fatigues, the pro wrestling version of Dukakis in the tank as a lasting image of goofiness. 

But then I saw a bunch of High Flyers stuff and it's not just Jim Brunzell carrying that team or anything. They were legit good, and Gagne was legit good. Yet the myth that Gagne sucked and wasn't over still persists. 

With the influx of new talents from NXT, I could see more "veteran" guys going this route of asking for their releases/letting their contracts expire in the next few months. I wonder how happy a guy like Jack Swagger is to be on the road just doing house show matches but not getting featured on TV. On one hand, most guys talk about how house shows are way more fun as there is more freedom and no real time constraints or all the mediocre writing from TV. On the other hand, the more you're off TV, the less you're making in merch sales and your name value is also dropping.

Just writing this out just now made me think of Mark Henry. Has he had a match or anything since the Battle Royal at Mania? He hasn't been released, but is he officially retired yet? I'd bet guys like him, Big Show, and Kane all have jobs for life at this point. But I wonder about guys like Swagger, Titus, or Zach Ryder. Titus does a lot of great PR for the company, but he's pretty much guaranteed that he won't be back after his contract expired with the suspension earlier this year. Zach Ryder got his win at Mania, but has done jack squat since. I'd say the best Zach can hope for at this point is for Mojo to get called up and the Hype Bros become a jobber team on the main roster. May not really increase his standing on the roster, but might get him more TV time being a tag team rather than a singles guy. And they've tried several times with Swagger, but I think he's just been around too long at this point in his "nothing" role that I don't think he can really be taken seriously at this point. Looking through the Superstars page, those are the ones that really stuck out as still being around despite not doing anything of note in the last 6 months to a year. These are multi-year vets in the company, but don't have anything going on and have no real spot currently and are being bypassed by the new crop of NXT guys coming up. Gotta sting a little for them.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

Thwagger and The Social Outcasts are the new era SD Jones/Iron Mike Sharpe. 

Once Konnor comes back, you've got both members of The Ascension to job. Epico & Primo should be back on job duty fairly soon. If they ever need someone to really get squashed, there's Danny Burch in nxt, who will never get called up otherwise. 

re: Mark Henry

Meltzer made a comment back when the cuts were initially happening that basically once people know you are leaving the WWE's MO is to just take you off TV.

And Henry has told everyone he is leaving so they put him on Mania and then they were done with him.

Same thing with Barrett - once they knew he was leaving, they wrote him off of TV

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Greg Gagne was also pretty good as a worker. He's got this mythology surrounding him as the un-over, overpushed son of the promoter that is tied together with that silly image of him in army fatigues, the pro wrestling version of Dukakis in the tank as a lasting image of goofiness. 

But then I saw a bunch of High Flyers stuff and it's not just Jim Brunzell carrying that team or anything. They were legit good, and Gagne was legit good. Yet the myth that Gagne sucked and wasn't over still persists. 

I always thought Gagne was decent, just a bit bland.   Would have been perfectly acceptable as a midcard cruiserwright in WCW's early days of the Cruiserweight Division.