DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 5/5/16

victor

Main Event Spoilers:

* Titus O'Neil defeated Damien Sandow

* Apollo Crews defeated Viktor

* Baron Corbin defeated Sin Cara. Corbin got a big hometown pop and Cara accidentally lost mask during the match but recovered

* Dolph Ziggler defeated Stardust

Smackdown Spoilers:

Jojo is the ring announcer for tonight’s taping. The show opens up with Chris Jericho’s Highlight Reel. Jericho cuts a promo on Dean Ambrose before he brings out his guest Sami Zayn. They’re quickly interrupted by The Miz and Maryse, which infuriates Jericho. Jericho calls everyone idiots and walks out on his show. Zayn and Miz get in each other’s faces, and we have a match.

– Sami Zayn def. The Miz via DQ. Kevin Owens was on commentary for the match, and he ended up running in to attack Zayn for the disqualification. Cesaro ran out for the save and cleared the ring.

– Backstage, Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson tell AJ Styles he needs to get a little extreme if he wants to beat Roman Reigns at Extreme Rules. Styles says he needs to have a chat with Reigns first.

– The Vaudevillains def. Bo Dallas and Curtis Axel. Big Cass comes out clears the ring with powerbombs after the match.

– Natalya and Becky Lynch def. Emma and Charlotte w/ Ric Flair. The finish came when Emma tapped to the Sharpshooter from Natalya.

– Styles finds Reigns in the back and asks if he’s going to get involved in The Usos vs. Gallows & Anderson tonight. Reigns says he’s the champion and he’ll do what he wants.

– Rusev def. Zack Ryder in a short match. Lana and Rusev celebrate after the match until Kalisto runs down, hits a corkscrew forearm on Rusev, then runs back out.

– In the back, Fandango tries to show Goldust new dance moves. R-Truth and Tyler Breeze confront them and they end up dancing together.

– Darren Young approaches Bob Backlund and asks him to be his new life coach. The WWE Hall of Famer says yes, and their new catch phrase is “Make Darren Great Again.”

– Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson w/ AJ Styles vs. The Usos w/ Roman Reigns ends in a no contest after Anderson kicks Reigns in the face while he’s standing at ringside. Reigns hits the ring and the match ends in a DQ, leading to a six-man tag match.

– Reigns & The Usos def. Styles, Gallows & Anderson after Reigns speared Anderson for the win. The Usos held Styles’ legs so he couldn’t break the pin, and the show ends with a stare-down between Styles and Reigns.

The first interaction between Reigns and Styles since Raw being in some throwaway backstage segment seems really stupid. Styles got friggin powerbombed through a table. The goofy little hick should be out for blood.

I applaud them for not just throwing Crews and Young together as Smilin' Athletic Babyfaces And That's Definitely The Only Reason We Teamed Them Up Yessiree, yet still expect exactly that to happen eventually.

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Young and Backland! Yes!!!

Pairing an openly gay man with a psychotic Trump proxy.  

Oh boy, this is going to end well...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Fallacy! said:

The first interaction between Reigns and Styles since Raw being in some throwaway backstage segment seems really stupid. Styles got friggin powerbombed through a table. The goofy little hick should be out for blood.

I imagine they're saving that for Raw. 

Also, they've still got a couple of weeks before ER, so they need to hold off a bit with the bigger stuff.  The dynamics in this are good.  A & G are assholes, but they're honest assholes and aren't hiding what they're doing from AJ.  The Usos are also being jerks, but they're doing a lot of their dirty work to where Reigns isn't aware.

They could have A & G beat the Usos to a pulp just before ER, forcing Roman to work alone.  That's just a guess, obviously.

I like Darren and I like Backlund.  But anything that reminds me of Trump is bad in my book, so unless proven otherwise no thank you.

For all the griping about Reigns, this whole thing with Styles/BC/Usos is very compelling.  I feel at the end of this he might finally come out of this worlds better than before this started.  Whoever is booking/writing this should get a raise, keep them and fire the rest.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

We love Darren, don't we folks? Don't we just love Darren? He's a great guy, OK? Let me tell you something, he's a gay wrestler and I'll tell you, nobody knows more about gay wrestlers than me. I've got many gay wrestlers and I'll do more for the gay wrestling community than anyone else. And Darren is the best gay wrestler of all of them isn't he? I've got friends in China who call and tell me they love my gay wrestlers. They ask me about Darren. They tell me they've never seen a gay wrestler like him. He used to be with that Titus O'Neil. Two-timing Titus. That two-timing Titus is a real nasty guy folks. Let me tell you, he's real nasty, ok? Who grabs people and forcefully hugs them? That's sick. We don't do that, right? We don't do that folks. Darren doesn't do that. We're not doing anymore hugging folks. We're going to make Darren Great Again. 

• Like 8

While the focus of the story has been on whether AJ will go heel with Guns N' Gallows, the Usos are the ones who attacked AJ first with the chair and now are preventing AJ from breaking up a pin.  Good potential slight of hand if the Roman Empire goes heel.

Steph reminds me of Hillary with her gruff voice and blatant lies so it's only fair we have a Trump proxy as well. Has Sasha's picture been put on a milk carton yet? I really can't wrap my head around taking the most over person in the division off tv just because you want to give her the belt 4 months from now. Roman didn't disappear after Mania last year. They could run Sasha & Becky vs Paige & Emma.

1 hour ago, Fallacy! said:

We love Darren, don't we folks? Don't we just love Darren? He's a great guy, OK? Let me tell you something, he's a gay wrestler and I'll tell you, nobody knows more about gay wrestlers than me. I've got many gay wrestlers and I'll do more for the l gay wrestling community than anyone else. And Darren is the best gay wrestler of all of them isn't he? I've got friends in China who call and tell me they love my gay wrestlers. They ask me about Darren. They tell me they've never seen a gay wrestler like him. He used to be with that Titus O'Neil. Two-ti ming Titus. That two-timing Titus is a real nasty guy folks. Let me tell you, he's real nasty, ok? Who grabs people and forcefully hugs them? That's sick. We don't do that, right? We don't do that folks. Darren doesn't do that. We're not doing anymore hugging folks. We're going to make Darren Great Again. 

I'm also going to bring back a black gentleman who is the strongest guy I've ever met, Bobby Lindsay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JCM said:

Has Sasha's picture been put on a milk carton yet? I really can't wrap my head around taking the most over person in the division off tv just because you want to give her the belt 4 months from now. Roman didn't disappear after Mania last year. They could run Sasha & Becky vs Paige & Emma.

She was on the E/C show this week at least.

I'm starting to wonder if she's hurt, because there really isn't a reason to not have her at least working some throwaway matches on Smackdown and Superstars to keep her sharp and fresh in people's minds. And that's just if you're completely unimaginative, a non-title feud with Paige or Emma would be beneficial not just for them, but for the entire division since you could show it's possible to have an important women's feud without the title. What's the plan for her now, come back "out of nowhere" and "make a statement" exactly like she did at the Royal Rumble?

Sasha worked all the house shows overseas with them running the WrestleMania triple threat rematch. Having her character just stop trying to come after the women's title after getting screwed out of it at Mania is just horrible story telling. If they didn't want to have her win the belt until Summer Slam they should at least had somebody cost her the match at Mania or make fun of her the next night on Raw that she could immediately start a feud with.  I guess Sasha just wanted to know what it felt like to be like the real stars by disappearing after Mania.

15 minutes ago, JCM said:

If they didn't want to have her win the belt until Summer Slam they should at least had somebody cost her the match at Mania or make fun of her the next night on Raw that she could immediately start a feud with.

You mean like Summer Rae which they then did not follow up on for no apparent reason.

I'm about an hour into the show, but not sure anything is going to top Mauro referring to Becky Lynch as "Becky with the good hair" and Lawler having no idea what he's talking about so he just makes jokes about Becky "not having a bad hair day, but a bad hair life" (which I believe he's made 12455 times before).

Although Miz doing a double axe-handle off the top and Kevin Owens, on commentary saying, "That's very good Miz, you jumped off the top rope and landed on your own feet and punched a guy.  Great." is close.

22 hours ago, caley said:

I'm about an hour into the show, but not sure anything is going to top Mauro referring to Becky Lynch as "Becky with the good hair" and Lawler having no idea what he's talking about so he just makes jokes about Becky "not having a bad hair day, but a bad hair life" (which I believe he's made 12455 times before).

If I had any faith that Jerry Lawler would just shut the fuck up, the best way to deal with him is giving him the Art Donovan treatment. However, he'd just repeat his shitty jokes and be more obnoxious. 

On 5/4/2016 at 10:00 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Part of me wants to believe that it is deliberate parody booking and the other part doesn't want to give Creative that much credit for being creative.