DVDVR Message Board

Best of Saturday Night/Worldwide/Pro

kafkonia

Since there seemed to be some interest when I mentioned it in the Omnibus thread, I figured I'd start a repository for all the best/most memorable/entertaining matches and segments from WCW Saturday Night and it's step-sisters, Worldwide and Pro.

Saturday Night is in an interesting position, as for a while it was essentially the flagship show for the promotion, but by the late 90s was essentially a C show where you'd get to see such stalwarts as Roadblock, Rick Fuller, and the Minnesota Wrecking Crew 2.

A quick video search turned this up as an interesting start

Years ago, I catalogued a random WCW tape that I got from Dec 97 to July 98. The best WCW C-show matches that I noted were:

WCW PRO – 12/14/97

3. Steve Regal / Dave “Fit” Finlay

WCW PRO – 12/28/97

15. La Parka / El Dandy / Silver King vs Juvi / Ciclope / Hector Garza

WCW PRO – 1/4/98

19. Steve Regal / Curt Hennig

2/7/98 – WCW SATURDAY NIGHT

29. Raven / Chris Benoit

3/7/98 – WCW SATURDAY NIGHT

38. Villano IV / Juvi

3/21/98 – WCW SATURDAY NIGHT

49. Yuji Nagata / Booker T

5/16/98 - WCW SATURDAY NIGHT

54. Yuji Nagata / Goldberg

7/18/98 – WCW SATURDAY NIGHT

61. Shiima Nabunaga (CIMA) / Ultimo Dragon

For the sake of clarity, when does the "WCW Saturday Night Era" as a B/C show begin?  I ask because that Regal clip above is from like '92 or '93, when the Saturday Night show was the flagship show. 

I would think WCWSN became the  B-show when Nitro debuted, but considering WCWSN was still two-hours compared to Nitro's single hour, maybe it was the first two-hour edition of Nitro when Scott Hall came out..

For the sake of clarity, when does the "WCW Saturday Night Era" as a B/C show begin?  I ask because that Regal clip above is from like '92 or '93, when the Saturday Night show was the flagship show. 

I would think WCWSN became the  B-show when Nitro debuted, but considering WCWSN was still two-hours compared to Nitro's single hour, maybe it was the first two-hour edition of Nitro when Scott Hall came out..

I wouldn't be in a position to make any hard-and-fast claims, as we didn't get any of the shows until the Monday Night Wars were in full swing. Nothing says you can't include pre-Nitro WCWSNs, anyway - it's never getting an official Best of set of any sort - although it might distract from the oddball B/C show nature that inspired the thread.

I wouldn't be in a position to make any hard-and-fast claims, as we didn't get any of the shows until the Monday Night Wars were in full swing. Nothing says you can't include pre-Nitro WCWSNs, anyway - it's never getting an official Best of set of any sort - although it might distract from the oddball B/C show nature that inspired the thread.

That is what I was implying.  Because, in 94/95 when Hogan/Savage jumped over and whatnot, all of those angles and matches took place on WCWSN. 

Savage & Sting vs Harlem Heat - would this count?

just watched Regal vs Luger from 8/31/96 where Regal wins the tv title. i was pleasantly surprised by how good the match was.

also, on i think Worldwide in early '98, was Mysterio vs Kidman vs Psychosis in what remains as the only triple countout match i've seen, which i loved as a younger lad.

I am still looking for this Meng vs T.Rantula match I saw in 1997. Makes me wish I downloaded that Saturday Night 97 torrent years back.

Fortunately, I did

Now, we just need the Kaz Hayazhi vs. Raven craziness. 

Thanks a million. I can see why I enjoyed that. Rantula had some brass balls ambushing Meng like that. 

I am still looking for this Meng vs T.Rantula match I saw in 1997. Makes me wish I downloaded that Saturday Night 97 torrent years back.

Fortunately, I did

Holy humanity, that is a brawl haha. There are so many things I feel like I missed by having a life during this time that I need to go back and watch. Looks like I'm off to pick up some seasons of WCW Saturday Night!

• Like 1

Fortunately, I did

I remember a tag match with Rantula and either Rick Fuller or Road Block vs the Faces Of Fear. Could you look for that?

I can't remember if it was World Wide or Saturday Night in 1994 where they advertised Hogan & Sting against Ron and Don Harris, who I'd never seen before but knew from the Apter mags as being former USWA and Smoky Mountain tag champs, so I was kind of looking forward to it.  Then the bell rings and Hogan immediately hits the legdrop while Sting gets the other Harris twin the Scorpion and submits him, all in less than 30 seconds. 

That was when I knew the Harris Twins wouldn't be getting a push in WCW.