DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

What I found funny is Jose Aldo, according to something I saw Ivan Raupp tweet about a half hour ago (what Lucia posted aboved), accused Mendes of taking "supplements" to stay healthy (also essentially saying he gets hurt in training because he isn't on PEDs). Between this and Kennedy talking about knowing 50 dirty fighters, I just think this whole situation as stacking a wall with nothing but bullshit. What Kennedy is saying is "I know who takes HGH/EPO/clear/etc at my gym and guys I can selectively speculate on from other gyms, but I am not saying anything though...". If you wanna clean up the sport and do this and that, start dropping names. That's the only way out. The whole Barnett/CSW vs. Anthony Johnson/Lombard idea of "what happens in the gym stays in the gym " is what is going to stop cleaning up the sport. You can have VADA up the ass and pay for random testing all you want. Problem is, in the same vain as a fighter union (lol), the people at the top will always find a way to be protected. The one thing that actually helps MMA (well just UFC to be honest) is the fact that it's a niche sport where they (Dana/Lorenzo/Fox execs) want to play the image game like the NBA, NFL, and MLB. Even though the stakes aren't really high (talking A-Rod being covered on ESPN all fucking day long), they try to distance themselves from Chael Sonnen like he has threatened the sanctity of the sport. You can't threatened something that wasn't really there to begin with.

This whole ordeal doesn't threaten the brand as it does the financial and emotional investment in the brand. It just looks ludicrous that any major bout can be cancelled on the grounds of fighter A pulls out because of not wanting to take a drug test and fighter B failed a test even though we knew what was happening beforehand. We know it's never been a clean sport. Shit, Breen mentioned the whole Stefan Leko story where he was being doped up against Ogawa in PRIDE just be in the ring. But people still act like that was only PRIDE and it never got/isn't that bad for UFC/Bellator/EliteXC/Strikeforce/Affliction. That itself is fucking hilarious. Like that wouldn't explain some of the dismal performances we've seen in the post-PRIDE era. Like all the big fights over the years happened because the injury bug just didn't hit those bouts. JDS and Cain are out there with horrible, gruesome injuries nobody knows about and fought because "that's what fighters do". Sure. Alright then.

If you don't think about it, then you don't see how we've already gotten to this point. At what point were fighters allowed to say "for the sake of this fight going to fight night, I NEED my drugs" and fans/journalists don't bat an eye at it? It's not because people don't (or pretend not to IMO) give a shit. Because if you didn't, it would never be a point of discussion. Either way, this is more the culture of drug addiction than sport.

• Like 1

What I found funny is Jose Aldo, according to something I saw Ivan Raupp tweet about a half hour ago (what Lucia posted aboved), accused Mendes of taking "supplements" to stay healthy (also essentially saying he gets hurt in training because he isn't on PEDs). Between this and Kennedy talking about knowing 50 dirty fighters, I just think this whole situation as stacking a wall with nothing but bullshit. What Kennedy is saying is "I know who takes HGH/EPO/clear/etc at my gym and guys I can selectively speculate on from other gyms, but I am not saying anything though...". If you wanna clean up the sport and do this and that, start dropping names. That's the only way out. The whole Barnett/CSW vs. Anthony Johnson/Lombard idea of "what happens in the gym stays in the gym " is what is going to stop cleaning up the sport. You can have VADA up the ass and pay for random testing all you want. Problem is, in the same vain as a fighter union (lol), the people at the top will always find a way to be protected. The one thing that actually helps MMA (well just UFC to be honest) is the fact that it's a niche sport where they (Dana/Lorenzo/Fox execs) want to play the image game like the NBA, NFL, and MLB. Even though the stakes aren't really high (talking A-Rod being covered on ESPN all fucking day long), they try to distance themselves from Chael Sonnen like he has threatened the sanctity of the sport. You can't threatened something that wasn't really there to begin with.

This whole ordeal doesn't threaten the brand as it does the financial and emotional investment in the brand. It just looks ludicrous that any major bout can be cancelled on the grounds of fighter A pulls out because of not wanting to take a drug test and fighter B failed a test even though we knew what was happening beforehand. We know it's never been a clean sport. Shit, Breen mentioned the whole Stefan Leko story where he was being doped up against Ogawa in PRIDE just be in the ring. But people still act like that was only PRIDE and it never got/isn't that bad for UFC/Bellator/EliteXC/Strikeforce/Affliction. That itself is fucking hilarious. Like that wouldn't explain some of the dismal performances we've seen in the post-PRIDE era. Like all the big fights over the years happened because the injury bug just didn't hit those bouts. JDS and Cain are out there with horrible, gruesome injuries nobody knows about and fought because "that's what fighters do". Sure. Alright then.

If you don't think about it, then you don't see how we've already gotten to this point. At what point were fighters allowed to say "for the sake of this fight going to fight night, I NEED my drugs" and fans/journalists don't bat an eye at it? It's not because people don't (or pretend not to IMO) give a shit. Because if you didn't, it would never be a point of discussion. Either way, this is more the culture of drug addiction than sport.

Kennedy needs to stop bitching and should name names.  If it's that bad and he *knows* 50 people are juicing then name them.  Bagautinov trains out of his same camp.  So obviously he's one of the 50, right?  I don't see how he hurts himself any less by not naming the names if he's going to talk like mr. clean billy badass.

Personally, I think fans and a lot of journalists are hypocritical and duplicitous in their complaining about drug testing and about sports being dirty but rooting for and supporting dirty athletes and guys using PEDs.  People knew back in the 90s that McGuire and Sosa were jacked too.  

• Like 1

I don't have any respect for people who DO NOT name drop. Anyone came come up with a story. Don't believe me? Watch!

I KNOW 30 PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD THAT ARE STRIPPERS!

See. No proof. No substance. Just me screaming out bullshit. Maybe its true. Maybe not. But with no proof (or in Kennedy's case 'names') then its all moot and might as well not be spoken. Another thing to consider about Kennedy's silence is that he knows he will get his ass beat if he starts dropping dime. I don't care how old you are- people don't like being told on. The only way Kennedy and others will drop names is if Congress subpeonas everyone!

Re: Dodson

Sucks that he is out. I hate that all these top fighters are out until 2015. Uncharismatic Johnson will continue his unremarkable title reign while the most charismatic fighter in the division will be on the sidelines. Hopefull he makes a full return and gets the belt off that vanilla midget.

Re: Aldo

THAT'S the type of promo Aldo should be cutting live. If he said shit like that in Brasil- he would be even bigger. The reaction and POP alone would have enough Americans trying to get the translation of his shit talk.

• Like 1

Couldn't somebody get in bad legal trouble for naming a fighter as a PED user? I mean without proof....?

Yeah, but that definitely hasn't stopped fighters from doing it (see: Diaz, Nick).

My point is if you're going to try to put it out there, then put it out there. If someone was really smart, they would've called Kennedy on his bluff. Then he couldn't back out. So either way, it's a ridiculous fucking statement. Either 90% of the people he trains with are on something or Tim Kennedy doesn't know what "know" actually means. It's one or the other. No in between. It's not like pro wrestling where everyone is backstage shooting the shit and being themselves. He doesn't train at every major camp in the Western Hemisphere. So if you don't have definitive proof, shut that shit up.

• Like 1

Yea I wouldn't 'name names' without either some type of proof (email, text, whatever) or several other witnesses that can confirm it.  Just throwing out names with no proof doesn't help anyone either as it just creates a 'he said, he said' situation.

This could be my paranoia or cynicism speaking, but I always had a suspicion that sometimes all these injuries were related to steroid use or using banned substances and being unable to complete cycling off of it before their fight.  I know UFC supposedly has confirmation from their own doctor on these injuries, but is anything related to PED use for these injuries impossible?

Just saying, if over half the sport is juicing...that means a lot of guys are juicing and not getting caught.

In as much as PED use causes them? Maybe. But not to avoid tests, since if they're not a marquee match, they won't be tested anyways.

Not necessarily a bad thing.  Fighting in a five-round title fight for her first fight back against a prime active Rousey is probably not a good thing for her right now, especially after the personal hell she went through last year.

Jack Encarnacao's Rewind podcast with Meltzer is pretty good if you wanna catch up on what's going with the UFC business model, Fight Pass, and the WWE Network. They actually brought up what was discussed here about the 1994 Zahorian trial being on the WWE Network. Recommended listen.

http://www.sherdog.com/radio/Rewind-Down-to-Business-with-Dave-Meltzer-3839

• Like 2

Jack Encarnacao's Rewind podcast with Meltzer is pretty good if you wanna catch up on what's going with the UFC business model, Fight Pass, and the WWE Network. They actually brought up what was discussed here about the 1994 Zahorian trial being on the WWE Network. Recommended listen.

http://www.sherdog.com/radio/Rewind-Down-to-Business-with-Dave-Meltzer-3839

Am I correct that its not on itunes yet? The date for the newest one is 7/8

With the event only two weeks away it might be easier to just promote Daron Cruickshank or Jorge Masvidal to fighting Thomson and get a replacement figther to go against whichever one stays on the prelim card.

I like this Cruickshank dude. He gonna be a star.