DVDVR Message Board

[TV] MAY 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

7 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Training Day has my attention.  I'm skeptical they can make it work on a weekly basis without babyfacing Paxton's character, but the trailer made it look possible.

The Lethal Weapon trailer... ugh!

I'll take cancelled by Christmas for $500, Alex(for both). . .

It's FOX - so they will probably get 3 different time slots and then renewed for no good reason.

Speaking of FOX - they have this Star show coming out about the forming of a Destiny Child type group. It has Queen Latifah, Benjamin Bratt and Lenny Kravitz among others. I have to assume it is getting paired with Empire

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

Is the Rush Hour one already cancelled?

Probably.  As of a couple of weeks ago (the CBS upfront presentation), Rush Hour and Limitless weren't officially canceled, but hadn't been renewed either.  Haven't heard anything since, but ratings for Rush Hour haven't been good.  I don't think it has any serious chance at renewal.

Yeah, it was a midseason replacement.  CBS pushed it pretty hard leading up to the debut, but seems to have stopped advertising it altogether.  Thinks it's aired about 8 or 9 eps, so there's probably about a month left before the season finale.

Finished up this season of Scandal last night.  Wife and I really enjoyed this season.  Probably our favorite since season 1.  The show works a lot better for me when it focuses on backstage political maneuvers and power brokering, and veers over the top when it focuses too much on B613.  I hope they pick up where they left off (Republican convention) and don't time jump ahead to after the election.  The show won't be back until 2017 - after the real-world presidential election) - due to Kerry Washington's pregnancy.

Also got caught up on Nashville.  It seems to be running on fumes, though I imagine they were hamstrung trying to figure out how to write around Hayden Panettiere's post-partum depression.  I wonder if it's only a coincidence that ABC reversed course and unexpectedly canceled the show on the same day Panettiere's reps announced she was going back to "rehab" to again be treated for depression.  In any case, this season's been a dull mess.

"All The Way", the HBO LBJ movie is outstanding. Bryan Cranston gives the performance of his career. He becomes Johnson to the point I was forgetting it was Cranston . And Stephen Root disappears into playing Hoover. 

• Like 1

Doing a deep dive on NBC Mystery Wheel...

i'd forgotten Spielberg directed the first Series episode of Columbo (not counting the original movies).

the pilot of Macmillan and wife has these guest stars:

jack albertson

jonathan harris

rene aberjenois

herb edelman 

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Doing a deep dive on NBC Mystery Wheel...

i'd forgotten Spielberg directed the first Series episode of Columbo (not counting the original movies).

the pilot of Macmillan and wife has these guest stars:

jack albertson

jonathan harris

rene aberjenois

herb edelman 

The great thing about it is you can tell in the Columbo episode.  There are some amazingly ambitious shots that don't happen anywhere else in the series including the opening of the "gotcha" scene which includes a typical Spielberg "someones face moves into camera frame as they are looking intently at something off camera" (a uniform cop watching Columbo get off the elevator.

He also has some weird forced perspective jokes and has the camera moving around crowds of people in interesting ways.  And plays Hitchcock-like games with blocking to indicate which characters are projecting power or hiding something. And one amazing shot that starts on a truck driver in his truck who has nothing to do wit the plot and eventually lands with the murderer's face in his rearview mirror.

There is a nice writeup of it here:

http://www.aplvblog.com/2014/08/ten-frames-from-columbo-murder-by-book.html

Another little bit of trivia. In a later episode that featured a child prodigy scientist they made a little joke by naming him "little Stevey Spielberg."

Also Nicholas "Coach from Cheers" Colasanto directed two episodes including the Johnny Cash one.  If you are watching carefully in that one you will see a surprisingly skinny Boss Hogg.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

"All The Way", the HBO LBJ movie is outstanding. Bryan Cranston gives the performance of his career. He becomes Johnson to the point I was forgetting it was Cranston . And Stephen Root disappears into playing Hoover. 

Its pretty much a Day-Lewis Lincoln deal. Having read the Caro series, its nice knowing the back stories to all that went on too. . . . 

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

This episode of Columbo has Martin Landau as twins, Julie Newmar, jeanette Nolan,  Dabney Coleman and Tim O'Connor from Buck Rogers.

The one Spielberg directed had Jack Cassidy as a murder mystery writer.

But the Martin Landau one is one of the ones written by Steven Bochco.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 10:12 AM, Technico Support said:

Not sure if anyone here watches it but Banshee wrapped up the series over the weekend and the closing episode was pretty much perfect.

"Yeah, I just blew up your fucking drugs."

I am going to miss this show.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 10:06 PM, odessasteps said:

Oh yeah. Ive been watching a bunch of them. Ive not even gotten to any Patrick McGoohan ones yet. 

Speaking of which, I binge watched the first season of Wayward Pines on Saturday during the deluge and I liked the show better when it was called The Prisoner.

• Like 1

I did watch the McGoohan ep where hes the military school commander, for which he won an Emmy. I would presume thats a top ten episode, along with the aforementioned Jack Cassidy episode and of course the Johnny Cash one.

itried to watch the one set in London with Honor Blackman and Richard Basehart, but Columbo in England was just weird.