DVDVR Message Board

[TV] MAY 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, zev said:

I have been wanting to see Buckaroo fight the World Crime League since the ending credits rolled when I first saw the movie in its original theatrical run. I've actually had recent conversations with people about which original cast members were around and could maybe reprise their roles.

But Kevin Smith...no. Go ahead and count me in as one of the folks who doesn't see how he would work.

And what's this I'm reading? It wouldn't be till the second season of a series...and it would just be Gotham Lite? So what happens if it gets canceled after season one? You still get no WCL.

Just read the comics, since Rauch wrote them.

ignore the Smith project.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Well, it's being done by someone who may possibly "get it", so it's possible not to hate it, but the original is much beloved by it's fans, so yeah.

It's by someone who gets it but doesn't have the talent to do anything with that knowledge. It'd be like having RIPPA wrestle a match (which would work if only he liked Memphis and could thus handle minimalism, but he doesn't).

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's by someone who gets it but doesn't have the talent to do anything with that knowledge. It'd be like having RIPPA wrestle a match (which would work if only he liked Memphis and could thus handle minimalism, but he doesn't).

We all should have been fearful of this when he hosted an anniversary panel with Lithgow and Weller. 

Did i ever pick it for the movie club or just threaten it? 

He's bringing in the original writer, director, cast members (in different roles), and trying to nab guest directors like Edgar Wright. He also said, "I promise not to Kevin Smith this." 

So it's about 50/50 that he'll Kevin Smith it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I see in one of the new shows for the Fall - Kiefer Sutherland is playing a cabinet member who becomes President because everyone else is killed

They are calling it Designated Survivor

I guess this is his way of playing Jack Bauer without being Jack Bauer

It has Maggie Q so it has my attention

• Like 1

That whole thing looks like just a more complicated way to give us the thoughtful, moral but somehow triumphant president each of us thinks we would be but can never have in real life?

It's like a big political Mary Sue.  Like an even more Mary Sue version of Bartlett because they never pretended Bartlett was a regular guy.  He was a goddamned prep-school transcendenatlist intellectual.

It's like each new generation of this story gets dumber and more pandering.

• Like 2

So ABC has two new shows featuring children with special needs (one on the autism spectrum and one with cerebral palsy who appears to be played by someone with cerebral palsy so that is interesting)

Plus one where Jenna Elfman talks to an imaginary furry creature

OH! and one with a talking dog.

7 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

That's a really strange way to spell Natascha McElhone's name.

Not disagreeing with you - but Maggie Q is my #1 seed on that show

• Like 1

I'd push Maggie Q into traffic to get to Natascha McElhone if she told me I had a shot with her.  Accidentally, of course.  Got to get people out of the way somehow.  And I'd probably feel bad about it afterward.

I wish the show looked better.  I'll give it a try because I like Sutherland and the cast is good, but the trailer turned me off.  The premise looks kinda absurd.

CBS released their fall schedule.  I had no idea they were reviving MacGyver.   That seems random.  Michael Weatherly's new series got the plum time slot of Tuesdays @ 9 (behind NCIS)

Thanks to RAW on USA I've sen the last 2 1/2 minutes of like every NCIS episode.  It seems to be about a very sensitive bunch of IT people in a super data center who wistfully examine their own lives for a few minutes each day after hearing about some tragedy in the outside world.

• Like 2

My wife thinks Megan Boone will be brought back on tonight's ep of the Blacklist as a new character - Liz's sister she didn't know she had, or a clone or something.

I feel like that's a little too out there even for the Blacklist, but I don't really believe NBC let Boone up and quit (things like that are usually a big deal, with news leaks and the star going on social media after the ep airs to thank fans and such) and the show's treated the demise of its central premise and viewpoint character a little too casually.  On the other hand, most of the ways I can think to bring her back are either far-fetched or go against character (I don't think Liz would agree to go into hiding without her baby).

We'll see. 

22 hours ago, piranesi said:

Thanks to RAW on USA I've sen the last 2 1/2 minutes of like every NCIS episode.  It seems to be about a very sensitive bunch of IT people in a super data center who wistfully examine their own lives for a few minutes each day after hearing about some tragedy in the outside world.

Same here. My DVR always gets the last two minutes of NCIS. There's also an old lady who ends some episodes with a funny quip.

It's amazing there was a time when I wondered what ever happened to Mark Harmon and if he was still working. He's been haunting me in every doctor's office and car repair waiting room for a decade. 

4 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

My wife thinks Megan Boone will be brought back on tonight's ep of the Blacklist as a new character - Liz's sister she didn't know she had, or a clone or something.

I feel like that's a little too out there even for the Blacklist, but I don't really believe NBC let Boone up and quit (things like that are usually a big deal, with news leaks and the star going on social media after the ep airs to thank fans and such) and the show's treated the demise of its central premise and viewpoint character a little too casually.  On the other hand, most of the ways I can think to bring her back are either far-fetched or go against character (I don't think Liz would agree to go into hiding without her baby).

We'll see. 

I just checked and it's been renewed for a 4th season.  Even though Red is supposed to be the main character, there's no way the show works without Liz back in there.  I'm still convinced she got her ex husband doctor to help fake her death and didn't let Tom or Red in on it.

This is Mr. T's appearance on El Gran Juego De La Oca. I can still 100% recall watching this in our basement. Since we're weirdos we'd always stop on Telemundo or Univision for a little while when flipping through the channels. And we stumbled on this show and saw Mr. T. And then we were just like... WTF? Chris ran and got the VCR tape because we knew it was spectacular.

We made a bunch of our friends from home watch this that weekend. And sorta every weekend. I also at one point made a bus filled with people en route to a convention of the Junior Statesmen of America watch this, too. It is still the most perfect thing I have ever watched on television. It is baffling and brilliant and everything I want in entertainment.

Here is a play-by-play breakdown as to why this is the best thing ever on television.

1) INTRO: Mr. T is dancing as the hostess is explaining something to him. He clearly has zero idea as to what she is talking about. And what she is talking about seems to be a grand total of $8,000.

2) 0:10: We get a wide/crane shot of the set of El Gran Juego De La Oca. For some reason, there is a giant swimming pool, a bunch of mermaids, and God knows what else.

3) 0:15: The hostess grabs a device from Mr. T's holster. It is a remote control that he uses to flip animated dice. I have no idea what he is looking at, but the face he is making while the dice sound effect goes off cracks me up so much, as does his silly little dance.

4) 0:26: The male host does some weird rubber legs chicken dance.

5) 0:39 The host now moves into a proto-robot type dance as the crowd chants behind him as Mr. T is being placed into some sort of outfit.

6) 0:45 The hostess and the host are bickering on air as Mr. T dances besides them without any idea as to the argument unfolding next to him.

7) 1:00 Mr. T. is getting strapped into a holster of some sort. He is still dancing but his face clearly shows that he has no idea WTF is happening next. He certainly sees something (that we don't see yet) but there is no way he can back out.

8) 1:15: The host explains to Mr. T in Spanish what the hell he has to do. Mr. T gives the same nods to him that I did when my Spanish teacher tried to talk to me. However, all I really had to do was conjugate things like "I am running to the zoo." Mr. T is doing much more than that. All he says is an occasional "okay."

9) 2:05: The host is going over some sort of instructions (and possibly a drawing) of what Mr. T has to do. Mr. T looks up above with a face that just says, "I think I am about to die." This is followed by him pulling on the ropes to ensure he's locked in. No one else has done this for him.

10) 2:20 Mr. T is now being pulled up towards this insane device above a swimming pool of dubiously shallow depth and is yelping in fear.

11) Mr. T is now on top of this rickety, half-assed rope bridge. Some sort if instructions are yelled to him. He has somewhere just north of $8,000 to wager, apparently. He first says "$1,000" before he frantically downgrades this to $100. He is also swinging a screwdriver around.

12) 2:55: The Scharpling-esque "Ohhhh boy" as he begins to try and balance himself on this thing.

13) 2:58: There is now a blowtorch.

14) 3:00: "You gonna tell me when to jump, right?" I love this so much. Like... Mr. T is just making sure this is very clear. He's going to be told when to jump. Just to make sure. The host only kinda answers.

15) 3:10 Mr. T begins to disassemble some weird boxes on this rope bridge that is slowly being set on fire as what sounds like a Commodore 64 MiDI version of the A-Team theme song plays.

16) I still, after over 20 years, have NO idea WTF Mr. T is supposed to do. But whatever it is, this stunt is so completely rigged for him to fail. The utter disregard for a human being's safety in this is so spectacular. Especially since its someone of some level of celebrity like Mr. T. They seriously give zero shits about his health.

17) Why the fuck is Mr. T on this? How did this pitch meeting unfold? I get that in 1993 or so, Mr. T was probably maybe short on some cash flow. The A-Team was off the air and the royalty checks weren't coming in. Mr. T was in that weird celebrity netherworld where he was still famous but he was clearly done as being someone you could put in a crummy TV show or movie. But he wasn't yet in the "ironic commercial appearance" part of his career yet.

But how the hell did this whole thing unfold? Did Mr. T's people reach out to the producers of this show? Did they reach out to Mr. T? I seriously have spent hours trying to figure this out.

18) 3:38 Mr. T is slightly burned on his hands.

19) 3;56 This thing is slowly collapsing under Mr. T's weight.

20) 4:42 The host yells out something. Mr. T: "Huh?" The host now implores him to jump.

21) 4:59 Mr. T hits the water (which is no more than 4 feet in depth, despite him plummeting from about 15-20 feet in the air).

22) 4:59:30 This entire fucking ladder Mr. T was just on explodes. Like, EXPLODES. This whole studio is lucky it didn't get destroyed.

23) 5:05 This contraption nearly collapses onto the ground below.

24) Mind you, no safety personnel are anywhere in sight.

25) 5:13 We can't see Mr. T's face, but he's staring back at this death trap for a few second. He no doubt is just wondering WTF he signed up for and realizes he legitimately came close to being killed on a Spanish language game show for the grand sum of $8,150.

26) 5:16 Yep. That's the face. It's just a look of personal bewilderment, fear, pain and the unknown.

27) 5:31 We get a replay of Mr. T's face as he leaves the pool in complete and total realization that he may very well die.

• Like 4