DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

I would put Cena/Punk MITB up there with any match in WWE history.  They haven't come close to recapturing that atmosphere since. Bryan's run to WM was probably the closest, but everything aligned so perfectly for that MITB match.  It's the highlight of both Cena and Punk's careers.

• Like 1

The Hawaii show is Bash at the Beach, and it looks like they wanna try to top Takeover Dallas for show of the year. If anyone from WWE is reading this and is looking for more Japanese star crossover one-off matches, might I suggest Asuka vs. Sasha.

33 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Please please please call the show "Aloha From Hawaii"

If the February Asbury show had been a network special, it would have been Greetings from Asbury Park. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

The Hawaii show is Bash at the Beach, and it looks like they wanna try to top Takeover Dallas for show of the year. If anyone from WWE is reading this and is looking for more Japanese star crossover one-off matches, might I suggest Asuka vs. Sasha.

Same place that had the Naka/Cena and Owens/Brock matches is saying it's going to be Asuka/Charlotte.

40 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Wasn't it already announced that the Hawaii show is a Network special?

No

The assumption though when they announced the dates were that either the Hawaii show or the Tokyo show would be a Network Special (especially since they are both roughly the same time as Beast to the East was last year)

• Like 1

And for the what it is worth - the WON Twitter account is saying they haven't been able to confirm any of the matches for the Hawaii show and that at least one thing is pointing them into believing it isn't true

5 hours ago, DTTW said:

I really doubt Walker drew better ratings and sold more merch. Any sources?

With Walker being on a broadcast network,CBS IIRC, and Breaking Bad being on a cable network I am pretty sure Walker got better ratings than Breaking Bad.

For what it's worth, Cena finished 30th in the GWE poll and Austin finished 24th. It's a noteworthy discussion and it's not apples and oranges. The people defending Austin are doing so based on qualitative things; his charisma, his aura. I don't think anyone will argue that Steve Austin had more of an allure, and for most of us, was around during a more formative part of our fanhood. That being said, John Cena has had a metric ton of great matches at this point. My initial point was purely based on in ring accomplishments, and I think that Cena based on sheer output is way ahead of Austin. Even if you think their top 5 matches or so are comparable, Cena crushes Austin under the weight of so many tremendous TV matches, week in and week out. 

Did you guys watch Austin during his WCW years? His work with The Dangerous Alliance, The Hollywood Blondes or his US Championship run / feud with Steamboat?

Austin lost his performance aura after his injury. There is nothing truly rewatchable after Calgary Stampede. 

Cena is a guy who I wonder what he could really do if he wasn't held back. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patrick B. said:

Match quality means horseshit in terms of star power and drawing power.

I'm not sure anyone was arguing otherwise? I was looking to compare them both in terms of match quality, others have compared their star power. I don't think anyone has said that one is the bigger star because he had better matches. 

• Like 1

The problem is that if you're comparing Cena over the last 10 years or so to Austin post-injury, then you're comparing Cena's peak to a period in Austin's body of work that, while it was his peak in terms of drawing power, was not his peak for matches.

What does Cena do better than Austin? That's not meant to be a snarky rhetorical question. Off the top of my head, I just can't think of one positive that Cena has in-ring that is a bigger positive for him than for Austin. And I think Cena is great and an elite worker when it comes down to it, so it's not blind Cena hate, either. 

Austin lost his performance aura after his injury. There is nothing truly rewatchable after Calgary Stampede. 

I am going to have to disagree. Austin/Angle from Summerslam '01 is great and definitely re-watchable, and I'll go out on a limb and say that it, not either of the Austin/Bret matches, is Austin's best WWF/E match ever, even with the cop-out finish.

• Like 3