DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

5 hours ago, DTTW said:

So where could Ryback go? TNA probably won't be around, Japan doesn't seem like a good fit neither does LU, which isn't filming for a while anyways. Mexico is broke from what various guys have said.

I don't follow puroresu anymore but muscular American heel is not a good role in Japan anymore?

Also I think it was on Jericho's podcast, he was looking in to doing the motivational speaker gimmick so he could do that and wrestle an odd indy show here and there. I am curious how low the offer Vince made was

I am not sure it is Vince making a low offer it is Ryback being of the opinion that he should be paid the same as Main Eventers

1 hour ago, Charlie M. said:

Edit: Removed my response because I'm not sure what you mean.

I was being a little sarcastic.  The way it was written, plus the heat between Punk & Ryback, seemed like the writer had some doubt (that word, "likely") that it was Punk mockery (designed to elicit heel heat).

1 hour ago, Brysynner said:

I don't follow puroresu anymore but muscular American heel is not a good role in Japan anymore?

Much as Gedo likes his gajin's, the roles of Monster American and American Heel are already filled, by superior workers.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I am not sure it is Vince making a low offer it is Ryback being of the opinion that he should be paid the same as Main Eventers

According to Ryback's Tumblr, that's exactly what it is. I think he's okay with there being some pay discrepancy but not as big as the company makes it

2 hours ago, Brysynner said:

Also I think it was on Jericho's podcast, he was looking in to doing the motivational speaker gimmick so he could do that and wrestle an odd indy show here and there. I am curious how low the offer Vince made was

The main issue is that very few promotions in Japan have the money to fly over Americans anymore on a regular basis (ie not just for one tour or one big show), and the few that do (New Japan, Dragon Gate) don't really need any at the moment. Ryback in W-1 would be great, for example, but it isn't in their budget.

I can't get it to load at the moment but apparently Ryback made a Tumblr post and it appears he has quit the company

I will update once I can get fucking links to work

EDIT - Okay his version is that he asked to be taken off TV until a deal is worked out but it is obvious the WWE wont agree to his demands and he knows full well they might release him

http://thebigguyryback22.tumblr.com/

basically he is challenging the entire pay structure of wrestling (in his mind)

Ryback's quitting is just taking the Punk cosplay to the next level. In July he'll announce he's going to the UFC.

He can come back in a year or two as a part timer and make the big bucks and get the WM shine.

• Like 1

By the way Ryback's not wrong. Yes there's difference in value between Roman Reigns and Heath Slater, but how much of that is due to Joe Anoa'i and Heath Miller and how much of that is due to WWE Creative and the whims of Vince McMahon?

Would it hurt WWE to make the payscale closer so a good mechanic would get a base pay similar to that of the top guy? The top guy still gets perks like more merch and things of that nature. Maybe allow the guys to get sponsorships without WWE choosing who gets to be the sponsor for something...plus with UFC Reebok issues, WWE could point to themselves and say see you can make more money with us if you're good enough.

• Like 2

He's right on what he said.

The people who win more = Get paid more, get better booking, get to look better and end up having better wrestling and non-wrestling options outside of WWE.

The people who lose more = "Sorry, creative has nothing for you", "We wish you well on your future endeavors", "Hey we got this new stiff from developmental, don't complain when he legit kicks you in the head and you get hurt when you lose to him tonight, k?".

The problem is WWE decides who is going to be a star, not the fans, as we are seeing weekly with Reigns vs the fans. They could make Primo the next Reigns and due to the "no one is bigger than the brand mentality", it wouldn't matter. But what we are seeing is this - WWE ratings have been going down for over a decade and don't see to be picking up. They aren't even 1/4th of where they were when they were hot, and until HHH takes over, it's hard to see anything changing. Yeah, they are always going to get the 2,000 who want to see the show when it is town, but they don't even advertise who will be there, so it doesn't matter. They can also play with the numbers any way they want with the network, but 2 million is their ceiling at their peak, and that's globally. Not only in the states, and it's really not impressive

• Like 1

Ryback strikes me as maybe a guy who could do that quasi workout guru motivational speaker gimmick like Tony Horton or something. Still wrestle occasionally. I WAS just thinking today how frustrating it must be for guys like Swagger, Ziggler, Barrett, Sheamus and him to have passed over for this "new era" when all they've done is whatever WWE has asked of them. In Barrett's case, he was injured more often than he wasn't, but for him to have to sit there and watch guys like Zayn, Styles, and Owens pass him on the card has to be frustrating. They're all more talented than him, sure, but Ryback was a guy who they put considerable time and money into, and when some facet of his program went wrong, they abandoned ship. It wouldn't shock me to see a mass exodus here before too long of guys like Ryback and Ziggler, especially if they don't move their asses with this rumored brand split. 

• Like 1

The frustrating thing with Ryback is that he could have been a huge star if they let him take the title from Punk at Hell in a Cell. He could have defended the belt at TLC and had a 3 way with Punk and Rock at the Rumble. Rock pins Puck, Ryback stays undefeated and goes one on one with the Great One at Fastlane for his first loss. Handshake of respect and boom! Ryback is a made guy.

Give him the Mania Moment of marching around with Mark Henry for the Shellshock (and winning!!) and it's a great run.

Adderall is seriously on the banned list? That's ridiculous.

You can say the same for weed. But, I guess you can't have anyone doing a Make A Wish while smelling like Otto's jacket, can you?

• Like 1