DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

So, on one hand Payback looks to be one of the strongest PPVs in some time and is almost catered to those who spend time posting online and living in their parents basements.  On the other hand one of the major stories if not the most important one as far as Vince and the McMahons are concerned is who he chooses to run things.  It's like we have two totally different worlds trying to coexist which would be fine, but I have a bad feeling old habits die hard.  If nothing else Payback is a nice way to kick off the month.

I'm amused by the fact that part of the set-up for this storyline necessitates them shoot intentionally making Raw entertaining, as opposed to all the previous weeks where they couldn't be bothered to give a shit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I'm amused by the fact that part of the set-up for this storyline necessitates them shoot intentionally making Raw entertaining, as opposed to all the previous weeks where they couldn't be bothered to give a shit.

Isn't that so insane? It just speaks to what WWE's mentality has been for so long now. Like the whole thing with having heel authority figures for 20 years, then being shocked when the fans boo who the company picks to be top guys for real. You've essentially made your company the top heel, what did you think they were gonna do?

• Like 4

Here's a question that popped in my head during my morning workout. 

Which wrestlers from yesteryear would be over enough today to carry a company?

I absolutely think Billy Graham and Dusty would be huge draws in any era... Bruno and Race I'm not too sure about.

Shoot fired up for Reigns vs. Styles.  These two are perfect opponents for each other.  Reigns will get to be the big dog instead of the underdog and Styles will be in there with someone athletic enough to keep up with him.  I fear for how overbooked it might be though.  And they're in Chicago so I expect the crowd to be completely obnoxious.  Legit have no idea what else is on the card.

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Here's a question that popped in my head during my morning workout. 

Which wrestlers from yesteryear would be over enough today to carry a company?

I absolutely think Billy Graham and Dusty would be huge draws in any era... Bruno and Race I'm not too sure about.

Good question. Ric Flair would be top of my list. He had charisma, very good talker and good in-ring too. I think with any big draw you need a solid supporting cast around them so you'd have to have a Harley to put him up against (if Flair worked 'face). Dusty's another good choice, but again he would have to be put up against the right heel. But really what worked say in the 70's, even the 90's doesn't necessarily mean it will translate well today. Say a young Flair came up thru the NXT ranks onto the main roster he could be criticised for the OTT bumps, the OTT promo style etc. Another name which comes to mind from the old school is Gorgeous George. I mean James Brown, Muhammad Ali all borrowed from him and I think his gimmick would translate well that he'd be a fixture on late night talk shows and such. Bruno was super over but I think his strong point was his in-ring work. He's the equivalent of say a Cesaro today. Harley's an interesting one because whilst he isn't somebody you could build a company around as the #1 guy because he does have the flamboyance of a Flair or Dusty, but he's definitely an important corner stone.  Superstar's a given really because he's been emulated already by Hogan, Jesse & Big Poppa Pump. 

• Like 2

Dusty coming into the WWE now would be fascinating.  Does his personality and mic skills carry the day for him and he goes to the main roster and becomes a star?  Or does his weight and physique handicap him?  Will Vince put him on TV?

I know Vince put him on TV once before, but that was different.  Coming in as "Dusty Rhodes, star in JCP, Florida, etc." is not the same as coming in as rookie Dusty Rhodes, the next Bull Dempsey.

I tend to think he gets a shot in 2016.  Steen has done reasonably well and will probably get chances to bump up the card in the future.  Bull Dempsey got a decent push in NXT.  No one is talking too much about Samoa Joe's weight.  I'm less certain how Dusty fares in 2006.  And, even now, Hero got released supposedly for a combo of weight/workout habits/not getting more on the gas.  And Roman allegedly still wears a chest protector to hide his Samoan pecs.

• Like 1

Despite what it says in the Payback thread for later - there are actually two preshow matches as Mauro tweeted that he is calling both of them

Kalisto vs. Ryback for the US Title - which clearly has to be a Ryback win or they might as well just release him on the spot

Dolph Ziggler vs. Baron Corbin

1 hour ago, nate said:

If Reigns loses tonight, he's done for.  And I mean "Dolph Ziggler done for."

You really think they'll have Reigns lose? HA. Might be a DQ or something, but he's walking out with that belt.

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Despite what it says in the Payback thread for later - there are actually two preshow matches as Mauro tweeted that he is calling both of them

Kalisto vs. Ryback for the US Title - which clearly has to be a Ryback win or they might as well just release him on the spot

Dolph Ziggler vs. Baron Corbin

It's pretty hilarious (or mean) that they preshow'd Ryback at the last minute AGAIN after he complained about it.

28 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

You really think they'll have Reigns lose? HA. Might be a DQ or something, but he's walking out with that belt.

Nooooo ... but I was saying that in context of "it's anyone's match."  But not for a second do I think Reigns is losing.  But if he should happen to ... hence my comment.

Lawler has had about three doozys tonight

Of course - it still wasn't as awkward as when Graves claimed Enzo was on parole and Booker was all "I WAS ON PAROLE ONCE!!!!"

Lawler is off every show.

And I was more saying it was awkward for the random slandering of people Graves has been doing not that Booker defended himself.

Of course - now they just have random fans wandering up to the set so this is a weird night already.

• Like 2

I'm finally almost caught up on season two of LU. Willie Mack wrestling matches and Catrina doing cool mystical Aztec shit should really get their own hour-long show. Those are the two things that I really watch for. 

• Like 1