DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - MAY

Dolfan in NYC

Time for my semi-centennial(AKA whenever I feel like it) look at how ex-Brewers are doing that we dumped or let walk in FA(big money guys don't count) in recent memory.

• Carlos Gomez seems to be playing horrific and is currently hurt.
  • Mike Fiers is doing pretty mediocre at best.
  • Johnathan Broxton is soaking up space in St. Louis just making his money.
  • Gerardo Parra seems to be having a good year so far in Colorado.
  • Jean Segura seems to be having a very good year.
  • Khris Davis still can't hit for average, but is clobbering the ball in Oakland, his usual.
  • Tyler Wagner seems to be doing okay in limited use.
  • Adam Lind is back to having his normal nothing year for Seattle. Little difference between him and Cris Carter for us beyond the SO numbers, but Carter's been mauling the ball when he does connect and he's not batting .180 yet, so a win-win.
  • K-Rod seems to be doing a solid job overall for the Tigers like I said he would. I assume his ERA is due to like one or two bad outings considering it's not a lot of innings.
  • Marco Estrada seems to be having a very good year, but Toronto can't get him wins when he pitches.
  • Yovani Gallardo's been hurt all year and done nothing for the Orioles.
  • Rickie Weeks somehow found a job and is mostly playing off the bench in Arizona.

The Mets acquire 1B James Loney from San Diego. Loney, released by Tampa Bay at the end of ST, had been playing for the Padres AAA team in El Paso, hitting .342 with 2 HR and 28 RBI. 

I wanted the Yankees to go after Loney as insurance for when Mark Teixeria would inevitably get hurt. I'm so glad Tex is gone after this season. 

You can toss him because they were all waiting to see which dumbass would try picking that scab back open. I get that they should've warned both sides, but there's all sorts of extenuating circumstances.

BTW, the wife (die-hard Mets fan) literally screamed at the TV for a good 10 seconds after Utley went yard the first time. I love this woman so much. :lol:

Does anyone think it's a coincidence that piece of dogshit lit us up knowing he had diplomatic immunity from being pitched inside? Love it when umpires act like 44,000 people paid to see them and not the players, total disgrace.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Does anyone think it's a coincidence that piece of dogshit lit us up knowing he had diplomatic immunity from being pitched inside? Love it when umpires act like 44,000 people paid to see them and not the players, total disgrace.

Coincidence? The fucking guy has a lifetime .282/.377/.522 with 189 H and 36 HR vs NYM. Pretty simple to figure out, he's a Met killer and has been for a good long time. Did he have "diplomatic immunity" last night, when he ripped that 2B off Familia to tie it?

Syndergaard didn't protest his ejection too much, he knew it was coming and took it for what it was. Not all that long ago, throwing behind someone would get you the thumb like 7 of 10 times. 

Roberts said in his post game that before the series started, there was a discussion about Utley being thrown at. No official warnings given, but it's not as if NYM wasn't aware of the possibility of ejections coming their way.

Syndergaard has owned LAD in the few times he's run into them, getting himself tossed fucked the Mets good tonight.

Edited by grilledcheese

Last night against Familia? You don't think it crossed his mind that he couldn't pitch inside to the guy? Guy broke a guy's leg on an incredibly dirty play and gets protected from having to take his medicine? Bullshit.

• Like 1

Also the idea that someone is an (insert team here) killer is one of these things that becomes a narative despite the fact that it defies logic. Do you think the sight of the Mets uniforms magically makes Utley a better hitter? Do you think what he did 8 years ago against pitchers long gone has a bearing on what he does today? In short the numbers have more to do with random luck than anything. 

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that he teed off twice on lesser pitchers after the team ace got himself tossed for absolutely no reason. Thor cost the Mets a quality start and almost certainly the game because he just had to wiggle his dick at Utley, consequences be damned. I don't blame the umps one bit.

• Like 2

Well today might have been the most extreme example of what the Yanks were hoping for with the Run-DMC bullpen

They got one hit but it was a Starlin Castro 2 run HR.

So Betances, Miller and Chapman faced 9 batters - 7 of them were strikeouts

Yanks win 2-1

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sabremike said:

Last night against Familia? You don't think it crossed his mind that he couldn't pitch inside to the guy? Guy broke a guy's leg on an incredibly dirty play and gets protected from having to take his medicine? Bullshit.

His medicine got taken when NYM won the series. And the difference between throwing inside to a guy and behind a guy is nowhere near the same deal. We will never know if Familia didn't feel comfortable throwing in, because Utley tomahawked the first pitch he threw him.

Syndergaard had his opportunity in the game he HR'd twice in 3 weeks ago. It wasn't a big enough deal then? He saw Utley 4 times that night and sat him down all 4 times. I would take greater pleasure in giving a guy an ohfer every time I saw him than if I drilled him once.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I await the Mets mid-season trade for Utley confusing everyone.

If noted vile bag of shit Mamadu Diallo can end up playing for Metro than I guess anything is possible.

Sources list the Cardinals as a possible trading partner for Ryan Braun, can the Brewers possibly be that stupid?

No, it's just a speculated listed team. The team is playing tolerably and all the chatter is about dumping every last good player they have left including ones they just found. Braun, Lucroy, Jeffress, Smith, Villar, all talked about as being traded. Is the goal to get the payroll down to 35 million, most of which is Matt Garza and then somehow suck even worse for a few years. Braun is expensive sure, but Lucroy we could get for cheap, the other 3 are under team control for a few years apiece. Any replacements for all of the above positions better be ready in the minors by next year or the year after or this whole charade is pointless. We've got some catchers buried in the farm system, probably some potential relievers. Some outfielders, a SS who is ready now, but having to wait roughly another 5 years before this team is even remotely good again would be depressing.

Even if he plays how he is the rest of the year and the next few years, he's still going to miss random time with nagging injuries. All depends if he holds up and what your team needs. One good to sometimes great bat/average to below average outfielder likely won't swing any teams hopes too far to pick up his 100m he's due the next 4.5 years. He's making his money now he should have made in 07-14 in theory, steroids or otherwise. Sort of the Pujols thing, just younger and not nearly that good in his prime which isn't over yet.