DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For May 4, 2016

RIPPA

Per WON

Dark Match -

Manny Andrade beat Angelo Dawkins

Dawkins made his way to the ring first, stirring it up, jaw jacking with no one in particular. Huge star reaction for Andrade, wearing his vato style fedora and pants with suspenders over his normal gear. Fast paced match for the most part, Manny teased one dive, then reset himself as a teaser, then on the center so he could face hard camera he did the Tranquilo lounging on the middle ropes to taunt Dawkins. The finish saw the running double knees while Angelo was set in the corner for Manny to pick up the win.

5/4/16 -

Dasha Fuentes welcomes us to the show and then we have a Samoa Joe in ring promo. He says his title win was inevitable and he did exactly what he said he would. Before Joe could continue he was interrupted by the debuting Eric Young, wearing street clothes. He says that Joe knows him and what he's about, and points to the title on Joe's shoulder adding I collect those. Joe then leaves while saying Eric Young doesn't belong in his ring and the next time he sees him in it, he will beat his ass.

Nia Jax beat Tessa Blanchard

What you'd expect as they are building Nia Jax up for Asuka, a huge leg drop center of the ring for the win directed at the hard camera.

Austin Aries beat Tye Dillinger

Good reactions for both men, the best match Aries has had thus far in NXT as well. Dillinger seemed a little taken back by how strong of a reaction he had, there were dueling chants for both while they had a very good match. Dillinger hit the Goto style knee to the back that AJ Styles has been using lately for a convincing near fall. Tye then lowered the knee pad to attempt his usual finisher but Aries caught him with the rolling back elbow for the win.

Dasha Fuentes informs us that Mr. Regal has made Eric Young vs. Samoa Joe as tonight's main event.

The Revival beat The Hype Bros

The Revival do an excellent job of controlling the ring, then were able to get the win while not cheating, still causing a distraction to their advantage. These two clearly study their classic tag team wrestling. Shatter machine for the strong win to get them back on track.

No Way Jose beat Noah

Big reaction for No Way Jose in Full Sail as you'd expect, he's a fun personality with a lot of charm. The chants included "No Way, No Way, No Way Joseee" to the tune of the Sami Zayn "Ole'" chants and his song's style "No Way Jose" chants as well. Salsa dance style offense and solid work before the big baseball pitch wind up punch and then a full nelson slam for the win. Post match No Way Jose was able to convince referee Drake Wuertz to dance with him to a huge cheer. Some fancy footwork by Drake.

NXT Champion Samoa Joe beat Eric Young

They got over ten minutes here in our main event, hard hitting action with these as you'd expect. Joe was able to outlast Young in their battle, hit the muscle buster and instead of going for the pin Joe locks in the clutch for the choke out victory. Joe then wouldn't release the hold for a very long time until officials were able to get the two separated.

For PWI

Dark Match: Manny Andrade def. Angelo Dawkins 

Week 1:

- Samoa Joe comes out and talks about how he is inevitable, like death and taxes. He's interrupted by Eric Young. Young says the only thing inevitable is change and that he brings change. Young says he collects titles and wants to collect the NXT Title. Joe walks off and says Young's ass is his.

- Nia Jax squashes Tessa Blanchard 

- Austin Aries def. Tye Dillinger. Crowd was way into Dillinger. 

- The Revival def. The Hype Bros 

- No Way Jose def. Noah Potjes 

- Samoa Joe def. Eric Young. Really fun match.

I love Ty Dillinger so much. Works the hell out of his gimmick, makes guys look like a million bucks, yet I buy him as a credible threat. And The Revival, those guys get it. Folks complain there are no heels in wrestling anymore; well, there isn't a damn thing likable about The Revival, and I love it. 

I don't love the Full Sail crowd. Starting to feel too much like mid-2000s Impact Zone. 

• Like 3

I just can't hate Mojo after seeing his interactions with the kids on Breaking Ground, he seems a genuinely good dude outside of his annoying persona, that being said he's pretty bad as a wrestler, although somewhat workable smashing through everyone as a hot tag wrestler and losing due to his naivety, he's definitely more tolerable than any time I watch Eva or Nia Jax. 

Speaking of Nia is there anyone sold as a monster less intimating? I understand they're trying to throw subtle tweaks to her entrance to present her as more of a dominating presence but she's still really bad, I'm not buying it, and her leg drop looks as destructive as the last time Hogan tried to hit one. 

Tye Dillinger enhances everyone he wrestles and the match with Aries was no exception, Aries looked great here for the first time in NXT and his promo addressing his shortcomings despite being on a good run was great and definitely the direction he needs to go down.

Eric Young, great beard, cool tights.. but nah, hopefully this is a one shot deal as I wasn't impressed and never have been.

Special mention to Graves for ending the show with a quote from The Wire.

Nia's offense sucks, but I actually thought that some of it looked better this week. That corner clothesline was awful, though. 

Her number one problem over everything else is her non-hurty-looking offense. 

I don't get why no one is regularly using THE POOOOOOOOOOUNCE, but yeah, Mojo should totally lift that for his finish. 

15 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Nia's offense sucks, but I actually thought that some of it looked better this week. That corner clothesline was awful, though.

She looks tentative doing it.  She slows down as she reaches the corner, like she's afraid of hurting anybody.

That's the thing, she should be decimating the jobbers she's been in the ring with, I'd lock her in a room at the PC with nothing but prime Vader matches playing on multiple plasma screens. She's currently just a fat bird in ring attire who used to smile, but doesn't anymore. Zero charisma, shockingly bad offense, going nowhere fast. Eva's progressed more than Nia, actually. 

• Like 1

I thought Nia looked really good last night rag-dolling Tessa. She has good facial expressions and mannerisms. Obviously she is a work in progress but she is well ahead of the curve for someone with her experience. 

Hype Bros are a perfect jobber tag team. Mojo is a good apron guy. He has strengths in his puppy-like enthusiasm. He is like early face Rick Steiner. Him getting a hot tag and losing is the perfect way to use him. 

The Revival rule. Amazing act. I want to see them feud with American Alpha forever, like Sami and KO.

i very much blanked on Eric Young. The "one of the hottest free agents!" stuff is so stale. It is the first time NXT hasn't worked for me. Not everyone who watches NXT knows who these people are. I don't and it was a shitty introduction. 

Aries really does nothing for me. Hopefully it was a start last night but he's lame. Tye Dillinger was awesome. I would love if he got some Cinderella Story push.

• Like 1

Aries is going to be in the number 2 heel role he belongs in sooner or later.  This was a good week for him.

They need to do something with the audio production where they can still capture the crowd enthusiasm, but lower the sound on the random dudes trying to get over.  Or an even better option.... they could just stop running Full Sail.

I'm sure Nia is still terrible, but I didn't watch it.  They are doing Asuka no favors by matching her up with these chumps to start her reign.

I'm surprised that Athena isn't on television yet. She would inject some needed ring ability into the division. 

Was it just me or did they shoot all the entrances differently this week?

Seemed to be a lower angle with much more dynamic single camera movement.  They really made Dillinger's and the Hype Bros entrances look fantastic.

Eric Young is the TNA refugee that I looked forward to the least. That being said, doesn't it feel disappointing that Styles, Joe, Roode, Aries and especially Sting wasted so much time down there?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

Yeah, I'd be fine with Eric Young never showing up in the NXTpact Zone again.  Although I briefly got excited that the Hobo Army angle was actually starting.

I could be down with Eric Young being the Curtis Iaukea to Dean Ambrose's Kevin Sullivan in the Dungeon of Hobo. I want to see that really badly actually. The Zodiac Hobo, Hobo Shark, Hobo Yet-tay, The Hobos of Fear, etc. 

• Like 3

Did they keep Hobo Yet-Tay under contract? I thought he got released soon after winning Tough Enough because of some shenanigans involving his Twitter feed.