DVDVR Message Board

2016 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

On 2016-05-24 at 11:00 AM, The Z said:

When does the review embargo for Warcraft end?

It opens this week in Europe and there still are zero reviews on RT. I think this film has a good chance of screwing us all.

I checked it last night since it's out in a bunch of small territories and it was rocking 20% (4 fresh, 16 rotten).

On 5/29/2016 at 1:41 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

Alice Through The Looking Glass bombed with an estimated $28m for the weekend, down just a tad from 2010's Alice In Wonderland which had a first weekend of $110m.  (Although a $28m first weekend is a better showing than Neighbors 2 or Nice Guys.)

People who had Alice at, let's say, 10th or lower on their box office list: Natural, Rippa, King Leonidas, and Elsalvajeloco.  ivpvideos and Death From Above left it off their box office list.  The rest of us are in varying degrees of trouble.  I personally put it at 4th.

I had it at #8, which isn't great, but could be worse, I suppose. I might be hurt more by X-MEN, which had a pretty good but not great opening and doesn't look like it's going to be a $200M movie domestically. Then again, outside of DORY and maybe STAR TREK and the ID4 sequel, I'm still not sure I see too many other movies this summer that will be pushing $200M domestically. 

My #14 rating for ALICE on the RT poll looks like it could also bite me -- it's at 30% now, which isn't good, but there could easily be quite a few more summer movies below that...

Popstar is at 87% with 13 fresh and 2 rotten reviews.

That's good news for me, since I'm a big Lonely Island fan and was looking forward to the movie, but also because I left it off my list. ;)

I would imagine this will screw with a lot of other people's lists, though.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized the movie isn't even in the game.

• Like 1

So as usual I'm looking last minute to do this - the first post says June 2nd is the last day for a ballot, but I'm only seeing 14 movies remaining.

Did I miss one, or did one move release dates and I'm pretty much boned?

Makes it so much easier to decide what movies to leave off if none is the only option.

Alice flopped so hard holy shit. I'm expecting it to fall off a cliff next weekend also. TMNT2 will have a decent opening, not great but okay I think and the other family films are having super strong holds.  Alice is totally screwed. They are losing IMAX screens to TMNT2 also because of this. Originally, TMNT2 was not going to have those screens.

7 hours ago, CSC said:

So as usual I'm looking last minute to do this - the first post says June 2nd is the last day for a ballot, but I'm only seeing 14 movies remaining.

Did I miss one, or did one move release dates and I'm pretty much boned?

Makes it so much easier to decide what movies to leave off if none is the only option.

Yeah, I miscounted something and got the date wrong.  6 movies have already premiered and only 14 are left.  Last Thursday would have been the last day to enter.

One suggestion could be that give CSC the average placement of either X-Men or Alice (since those were the last two in)

So he has 15 movies but he has a movie that he has to place at like 7th (something like that)

I don't see him getting much of an advantage from that but I am also an idiot

EDIT - and that would be an offer just for Chris everyone else is you snooze, you lose (since I am quite familiar with Chris not entering a contest on time)

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

One suggestion could be that give CSC the average placement of either X-Men or Alice (since those were the last two in)

So he has 15 movies but he has a movie that he has to place at like 7th (something like that)

I don't see him getting much of an advantage from that but I am also an idiot

EDIT - and that would be an offer just for Chris everyone else is you snooze, you lose (since I am quite familiar with Chris not entering a contest on time)

Yeah... I am inclined to let him in, since I'm the one who put down the wrong cutoff date.

I'm gonna say he can rank the 14 remaining movies and we'll treat his lists like we would in those cases where the opening date of one particular movie gets moved to next year or whatever.  It's in the first post of this thread under "Adjustment Bureau rule".  For each of his two lists, he gets an additional number of points equal to his average points per movie on that list, rounded to the nearest whole number.  It's like saying "okay, you only have 14 movies on your list, but if you had a 15th one in there we expect you'd get this many additional points for it."

• Like 1

Civil War isn't even gonna break the $400 million mark in time?

That's disappointing. (I'm usually pretty good with the tiebreaker)

I have a feeling Hollywood is gonna panic over this summer.

• Like 1

Like I messaged to SKOS, I don't really care if I'm made ineligible for the prizes or whatever on the small chance I may actually do well - just thought it would be fun to get into it at the last minute.

Will get my lists posted before midnight my time tonight.  Gotta wait til after 9 when work slows down to get it all together.

Civil War had a huge opening but for whatever reason it didn't break out like say a Jurassic World last year.  It had a really good run while most were expecting a huge run. But I think it'll still be enough to stay at #1.  Unless I've underestimated Finding Dory...     Some have said Independence Day Resurgence could be this year's JW but I don't see it.  If it had Will Smith returning then maybe. It has 90's nostalgia going for it but not 90s Big Will.

Hey even managed to finish on time EST!

Box Office - 

1. Finding Dory (Jun 17)
2. Independence Day: Resurgence (Jun 24)
3. Suicide Squad (Aug 5)
4. Ghostbusters (Jul 15)
5. The BFG (Jul 1)
6. Jason Bourne (Jul 29)
7. Star Trek Beyond (Jul 22)
8. The Legend of Tarzan (Jul 1)
9. The Conjuring 2 (Jun 10)
10. Ice Age: Collision Course (Jul 22)
11. Now You See Me 2 (Jun 10)
12. Central Intelligence (Jun 17) 
13. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows (Jun 3)
14. Warcraft (Jun 10)

RT - 
1. Finding Dory (Jun 17)
2. The BFG (Jul 1)
3. Suicide Squad (Aug 5)
4. The Conjuring 2 (Jun 10)
5. Independence Day: Resurgence (Jun 24)
6. The Legend of Tarzan (Jul 1)
7. Jason Bourne (Jul 29)
8. Ghostbusters (Jul 15)
9. Central Intelligence (Jun 17)
10. Ice Age: Collision Course (Jul 22)
11. Now You See Me 2 (Jun 10) 
12. Star Trek Beyond (Jul 22)
13. Warcraft (Jun 10)
14. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows (Jun 3)

Finding Dory - $400mil
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Paco said:

Civil War isn't even gonna break the $400 million mark in time?

That's disappointing. (I'm usually pretty good with the tiebreaker)

I have a feeling Hollywood is gonna panic over this summer.

Rightly so. Looks like Out of the Shadows is only going to rake in $37 million for the weekend. Popstar is going to bomb something fierce.

Fuck.  Americans would pick this summer to wise up and hate on a Michael Bay mind number.  I need that movie to be despised by critics and still turn a profit.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Fuck.  Americans would pick this summer to wise up and hate on a Michael Bay mind number.  I need that movie to be despised by critics and still turn a profit.

Well, 13 Hours tanked back in January. TMNT 2 is most likely going to be $25-$30m down opening weekend from 2014. So he is batting .000 on anything non-Transformers for Paramount on the year.

UPDATE 4 OF 17 - through June 2

Standings
1 [ 3] King Leonidas of Sparta - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
2 [NEW] CSC - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
3 [ 1] The Natural - 2 points (0/2, tiebreak 1.336)
4 [ 5] Control - 2 points (2/0, tiebreak n/a)
5 [ 17] ivpvideos - 4 points (2/2, tiebreak n/a)
6 [ 15] JRGoldman - 4 points (2/2, tiebreak n/a)
7 [ 2] J.T. - 6 points (0/6, tiebreak n/a)
8 [ 13] Elsalvajeloco - 6 points (2/4, tiebreak n/a)
9 [ 14] Kevin Wilson - 6 points (4/2, tiebreak n/a)
10 [ 4] Skeeball Wizard - 6 points (2/4, tiebreak n/a)
11 [ 6] Paco - 8 points (2/6, tiebreak 0.374)
12 [ 7] The Z - 8 points (4/4, tiebreak n/a)
13 [ 9] EVA - 8 points (4/4, tiebreak n/a)
14 [ 18] DreamBroken - 8 points (2/6, tiebreak n/a)
15 [ 19] Death From Above - 8 points (2/6, tiebreak n/a)
16 [ 12] Lacelle - 8 points (4/4, tiebreak n/a)
17 [ 11] bazzil - 10 points (2/8, tiebreak n/a)
18 [ 20] RossWB - 10 points (4/6, tiebreak n/a)
19 [ 21] S.K.o.S. - 10 points (6/4, tiebreak n/a)
20 [ 22] SorceressKnight - 10 points (2/8, tiebreak n/a)
21 [ 8] Sublime - 12 points (2/10, tiebreak n/a)
22 [ 10] Rippa - 12 points (2/10, tiebreak n/a)
23 [ 16] Hail Sabin - 16 points (4/12, tiebreak 0.126)

Box office
1 [- 1] Captain America: Civil War - $381,349,157 (28 days)
2 [NEW] X-Men: Apocalypse - $94,173,232 (7 days)
3 [ 2] Angry Birds - $76,902,726 (14 days)
4 [ 3] Neighbors 2 - $43,860,225 (14 days)
5 [NEW] Alice Through The Looking Glass - $40,081,597 (7 days)
6 [ 4] The Nice Guys - $25,600,850 (14 days)

Rotten Tomatoes
1 [- 1] The Nice Guys - 177/195 = 91% (14 days)
2 [- 2] Captain America: Civil War - 278/310 = 90% (28 days)
3 [- 3] Neighbors 2 - 100/159 = 63% (14 days)
4 [NEW] X-Men: Apocalypse - 121/253 = 48% (7 days)
5 [ 4] Angry Birds - 56/131 = 43% (14 days)
6 [NEW] Alice Through The Looking Glass - 56/187 = 30% (7 days)

As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I've learned how to savor early success before an amazing and stellar second half collapse. Fingers crossed that the contest is more October and November rather than December.

On 6/2/2016 at 8:21 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Civil War had a huge opening but for whatever reason it didn't break out like say a Jurassic World last year.  It had a really good run while most were expecting a huge run. But I think it'll still be enough to stay at #1.  Unless I've underestimated Finding Dory...     Some have said Independence Day Resurgence could be this year's JW but I don't see it.  If it had Will Smith returning then maybe. It has 90's nostalgia going for it but not 90s Big Will.

Is it possible that Zootopia was this years JW even though it wasn't a summer movie?

I maintain that the road map to The Movies Formerly Known As Infinity War that Marvel unveiled a year or so ago has actively undermined the box office for these movies.  They're still big, but there's no sense of urgency, that if you don't go to the theater you're going to miss something huge, because people know that nothing really matters until those other movies down the line.  So a lot of people elect to just catch it "whenever," whether that's in the theater or at home.