DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

On 5/4/2018 at 12:11 PM, Raziel said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, even if Thanos' plan "worked", the crux of the matter is, he had the assembled Infinity Gauntlet, and the power to bend everything to his will, including time around specific areas.  He could've done *any* number of things to fix the problem he saw, but still chose culling the universe instead of any of those that wouldn't result in 50% Universal casualties.  Thanos is the bad guy at the end of the day.  A good one that truely believes he's right and his way is the only way, but still a bad guy.

It's the neat thing about the MCU, we can talk about Thanos like this because he's been presented how the heroes, mainly Stark and Cap, have been presented throughout the last 10 years. Guys that truely believe they are 100% in the right, but their methods and possibly results hover in teh questionable area.

I think one detail being missed is that 

Spoiler

there was clearly an effect of using the Gauntlet in that manner *at all*, as the Gauntlet itself got fried and Thanos had that side of his body toasted as well. So one could potentially argue that, even with a good-faith attempt to simply do better, the sheer amount of power is always going to overwhelm. It eventually spanks him, someone else gets it, maybe they don't do anything remotely positive or utilitarian with it, and the endgame result is somehow even worse.

Spoiler

It’s weird to me that we’re talking about why Thanos didn’t choose a more humanitarian route instead of genocide of half the population across the universe/galaxy. When it all comes down to it, he’s still the “ultimate” bad guy of the MCU thus far - why would he choose any other way? He’s the Mad Titan for a reason.

1 hour ago, Casey said:
  Hide contents

It’s weird to me that we’re talking about why Thanos didn’t choose a more humanitarian route instead of genocide of half the population across the universe/galaxy. When it all comes down to it, he’s still the “ultimate” bad guy of the MCU thus far - why would he choose any other way? He’s the Mad Titan for a reason.

I think we all know why, but there's enough "Thanos was kinda right" thighs floating around out there to be noticed.

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hide contents

I think we all know why, but there's enough "Thanos was kinda right" thighs floating around out there to be noticed.

Spoiler

A lot of the Marvel villains were kinda justified in their actions. That’s been one of the bigger problems with the MCU for awhile now. But this was straight up genocide, and we still get “well he had a point!1!”. I mean... come on.

Did Spidey’s new suit enable any kind of flight? I know it was made by Stark so that may be a dumb question but my memory sucks. 

Also to the GotG 2 fans ,video essay or not, explain to me why- 

Spoiler

Ego tells Peter about putting the tumor in his mother’s head.

He was (poorly) trying to make Peter see why he should give up on Gamora and his friends, the same way Ego gave up on the woman he loved because, in his mind, this mission was more important.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Casey said:
  Hide contents

I mean...it still matters from a character standpoint. You can't just have him be like "It's for the good of the universe, but also I'm *EVIL*!" The fact that the character has layers is a lot of what makes him both great and memorable.

My point was that asking why a villain doesn't take the "good guy" route is weird, because... he's the villain. Otherwise he'd just be another good guy in the movie and we wouldn't have anyone to root against.

Spoiler

The Soul Stone seems to be where he's communicating with Gamora, and I'm guessing Thanos is sitting on some barren planet (possibly just waiting to die) using the Reality Stone to imagine himself at that cottage in the last shot. 

1 hour ago, Casey said:

My point was that asking why a villain doesn't take the "good guy" route is weird, because... he's the villain. Otherwise he'd just be another good guy in the movie and we wouldn't have anyone to root against.

No one’s asking that. People are using it to counter those who are saying “but he had a point!”

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 6:24 PM, Casey said:
  Hide contents

A lot of the Marvel villains were kinda justified in their actions. That’s been one of the bigger problems with the MCU for awhile now. But this was straight up genocide, and we still get “well he had a point!1!”. I mean... come on.

In my defense, I'm not arguing that he is/was right.  I'm fascinated by the what-if prospect of it all.

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

He IS The "Mad" Titan.   I'm not entirely sure what was happening with 

Reveal hidden contents

Thanos and child Gamora .  I've seen it discussed here and elsewhere that the conversation maybe takes place inside the soul stone?

Have the Russos touched on this? 

It was inside the soul stone. I imagine the intent was to humanize Thanos and show that he did genuinely love Gamora and grieved her loss.

I have wanted to get this stupid joke out of my system for days, so now you get to be subjected to it:

If the Guardians had just been kind and supportive of Star Lord, instead of mocking his beta insecurity issues, maybe nobody would've had to die!

• Like 2

On 5/4/2018 at 1:02 PM, Matt D said:

Marvel's running a big infinity stone storyline right now. Obviously this isn't exactly how it works in the movie, but I sort of like the general conceit behind it, which is that the stones help empower each other as a circuit, thus allowing the effects of something like the reality stone to be stronger.

Reveal hidden contents

infinitycircuit-1081234.jpeg

I'm not much on comics and was hoping the Soul Stone just turned the person wielding it into Don Cornelius.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I have wanted to get this stupid joke out of my system for days, so now you get to be subjected to it:

Hide contents

If the Guardians had just been kind and supportive of Star Lord, instead of mocking his beta insecurity issues, maybe nobody would've had to die!

Don't forget the blatant body shaming by Rocket and Drax. 

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I think a little Dwyering is apposite, after the speciesist "trash panda" epithet. 

Rocket had just stolen the batteries they were hired to protect for the Sovereign and got the whole planet after them. He was being a trash panda. 

Finally saw it last night. At the risk of reopening the prior argument, I have to confess to welling up a bit during Thanos's scene on the Soul Gem planet.

Damn, when the fucking Mad Titan brings you near to tears that's a helluva deal. Marvel really has this whole "create an interesting villain" thing figured out. I imagine I'll be full out bawling when they finally get to Doom's backstory.