DVDVR Message Board

RAW: 18 April 2016 - SPOILERS from London

Dolfan in NYC

Tonight's results:

Spoiler

* Dean Ambrose kicks off RAW to a big pop. He hits the ring for an episode of The Ambrose Asylum and talks about current events. Ambrose introduces his guest and out comes Shane McMahon for another huge pop. Shane talks about how he's here for the fans but Kevin Owens interrupted. Sami Zayn and Chris Jericho also interrupted. This led to Shane making Sami vs. Owens and Jericho vs. Ambrose for Payback on May 1st. He makes Sami vs. Jericho for tonight and then Ambrose vs. Owens for tonight's main event

* Chris Jericho defeated Sami Zayn in a good back and forth match with a Codebreaker

* Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson interrupt a backstage AJ Styles interview. They greeted each other and gave pleasantries. Gallows and Anderson made it clear they have Styles' back at Payback

* Enzo Amore and Colin Cassady come out to a huge pop and cut great promos

* Enzo and Cass defeated The Dudley Boyz to advance in the tournament

* WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns comes out to deafening boos. He cuts his "the guy" promo and gives props to AJ Styles, who interrupts. AJ talks about their match at Payback and how he will leave with the title. Out of nowhere, Anderson and Gallows attack Reigns and lay him out to a massive unreal pop. Styles watched from the foot of the ramp as they laid Reigns out with Magic Killer

* Dolph Ziggler comes out for commentary and gets no pop

* Backstage segment with Reigns and Styles, who says he had nothing to do with Anderson and Gallows attacking Reigns in the ring

* Baron Corbin defeated Fandango, who got a big pop. Corbin had sent Fandango into Ziggler earlier, so Ziggler attacked Corbin after the match and gets laid out at ringside

* WWE Intercontinental Champion The Miz is out with Maryse for Miz TV. Cesaro is the guest but they're interrupted by Sheamus, Rusev and Alberto Del Rio. WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day also come out to a deafening pop. This leads to a match

* The New Day and Cesaro vs. The Miz and The League of Nations is next. Fans chanted for King Barrett early on. Cesaro got the win for his team with a Neutralizer on Sheamus

* Backstage segment with Natalya and WWE Women's Champion Charlotte. Natalya reveals she will get her title shot at Payback and her uncle, WWE Hall of Famer Bret Hart will be in her corner

* Natalya, Sasha Banks, Becky Lynch and Paige defeated Tamina Snuka, Naomi, Summer Rae and WWE Women's Champion Charlotte when Charlotte tapped out to the Sharpshooter

* The Vaudevillains defeated The Usos to advance in the tournament. Not much of a reaction for the winners here

* Apollo Crews defeated Heath Slater

* Dean Ambrose defeated Kevin Owens with Dirty Deeds in the main event. After the match, Jericho ran down and attacked Ambrose, hitting a Codebreaker to end RAW

Aside from Jericho beating Sami semi-cleanly, I enjoyed this show. I'm ready for Jericho to go off and play rock star again. 

I loved the Bullet Club tease and was pleasantly surprised JBL didn't shit all over The Vaudevillains gimmick. 

• Like 2

With some of the comments alluding to the show, I thought maybe something major was going to take place but not much really at all. Dug the 8 woman tag, great lineup that was only missing Emma. the 8 man before it was cool too with a super slick finish by Cesaro on Sheamus. Still enjoying Jericho's work.

• Like 1

Okay show - but it just couldn't hold my attention tonight. Miz and Maryse were amusing, Dean had a couple of amusing lines - but most of the show just didn't click. AND GET RID OF THAT FUCKING UK SET. Jesus.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2016/04/wwe-raw-4-18-16.html

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/zabf5hgvfj4zi2gpjwmpozalrd6v04t0

Everything Cesaro does just feels so forced. Even his ring work since returning. What even is his character? Wanna-be cool rip-away suit guy? Why was he wearing only one headphone the last couple weeks? If it's some sort of Transporter or Bond reference they might, you know, mention it or work it at all into his ring work or storylines.

God, and I LIKE Cesaro.

• Like 1

Whoever keeps writing Reigns promos has to be aware of what they are doing. They must know that there is no character and writes the most bland unfeeling retorts ever. "I rather be hate with this than loved without it." Jesus, no wonder people boo him. How are we supposed to cheer him? 

Natalya going over Naomi, Becky, and Sasha is annoying. Why is she getting the shot aside from Vince's obsession with the 90s? I get the feud is that there is the arrogant up and coming princess who is billed as genetically superior wrestler because of her genes and then there is humbled season vet who also has family ties, and we get it. Nepotism is the way to succeed in the WWE, but out anyone in the women's division, why Natalya? I'd rather watch Eva Marie.

Natalya and Charlotte had a fantastic match with this exact same set up, including having Bret and Ric in their respective corners, on one of the first big NXT events about two years ago. It was one of the first matches to kick off this "Divas Revolution" and started getting the women in NXT really noticed. I guess they figured they might as well redo it on the main roster on a random off month PPV. Why not? Gives Charlotte another month with the title and another PPV victory to build up her reign before Sasha finally beats her for the title

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevie Ray Von Erich said:

Everything Cesaro does just feels so forced. Even his ring work since returning. What even is his character? Wanna-be cool rip-away suit guy? Why was he wearing only one headphone the last couple weeks? If it's some sort of Transporter or Bond reference they might, you know, mention it or work it at all into his ring work or storylines.

God, and I LIKE Cesaro.

He comes out in a suit, them rips it off and he's ready to go. He's the Swiss Superman. It's a Vince McMahon relevant cultural reference, to the Superman movies. With Christopher Reeve, obvs.

Or possibly Cam Newton.

Let's also not forget that with such a deep women's roster they (WWE writers) still can't figure out how to have more then one fued going at the same time. They literally had a random 8 women's match just so they could get Becky and Sasha out in front of the crowed on Raw. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxB said:

He comes out in a suit, them rips it off and he's ready to go. He's the Swiss Superman. It's a Vince McMahon relevant cultural reference, to the Superman movies. With Christopher Reeve, obvs.

Or possibly Cam Newton.

And yet a diffrent guy uses the Superman punch 

Jericho over Zayn was certainly disconcerting. It feels like whenever someone gets called up they just can't help themselves but give the guy a few losses in inconsequential matches. Jericho got his big win over Styles and a win over Zayn doesn't do anything for him. Zayn lost last week to Styles and has yet to do much on the main roster to make the audience think he's anything but a punching bag. I just don't see the logic in not protecting him a little bit.  

Whenever a prominent nxt guy gets a call up, there's an adjustment period where I need to accept the booking is no longer going to be as strong and the wrestler will be a lot less interesting. I'm just as bummed that the through the ropes ddt is an every match spot now. 

Cesaro is over for being Cesaro. He's an excellent performer and over because of it. He has a story that is far more interesting than any character they try to give him. Just let him be himself.