DVDVR Message Board

NXT TV - 4/13/16

RIPPA

So apparently they are showing the tapings all out of order and picking and choosing

The first match tonight was from 4/20

The 2nd match was from 4/13

So if you are trying to go spoiler free - don't look at any of the other threads

Bliss/Blanchard was really sloppy, but everything else was fun. 

OK, I give that crowd a bit of credit for "He's eleven." Not enough credit to make up for me having to mute the TV while everyone chanted dumb shit at Bayley, but a bit of credit. 

• Like 1

love Alexa's character work the only thing I would change is her finisher. I don't mind it as a little signature move but I prefer the splash she used to do.

I think you give it a couple years and Liv Morgan is going to be a hell of an underdog babyface. 

Decent show. 

Wasn't super high on this week's show, other than Nakamura/Dillinger and Corbin.

Did we really need the Vaudevillains to job one last time on their way out? I guess we'd better get used to it. Graves hit on Ciampa toning it down in this match. The problem is that fire he had vhas been the best we've seen out of him. Take that away and he's a less-flippy American Wolf. 

Tessa Blanchard had a great moment with catching Alexa's slap and the scream, but then she followed it up with some mediocre forearms. I see future potential from her and Bliss, but they both really need to improve execution. 

I wonder if Aries needs time like Joe did to wash off the TNA apathy, because his match with Dawkins felt very paint-by-numbers. 

Corbin looked damn good against Tucker Knight. He's looked good before, but usually against better guys like Joe. This time he made a squash look good. 

Dillinger-Nakamura had me in stitches. That was a smart, smart plan. They knew they weren't going to come close to the Zayn match, so they went a different route entirely, bringing the comedy and the character. They exposed the part of the crowd that's never seen Nakamura to that aspect of him, while still making it clear that he's a total badass. 

That was a pretty good promo to set up the main event, too.  Normally really dislike the guy, but that was a good night for Dillinger all around.

That Bliss match should have probably been cut from TV.  Awful.  Bayley's promo was solid and that tag match was fun.

Loved all the set up for next week.  Enzo/Cass vs American Alpha is hype!

The Bayley/Liv match wasn't much but that Belly to Bayley for once looked pretty brutal.  Liked the promo and was happy to see her check on Izzy afterwards, especially after reading about how Izzy reacted at Takeover.

I never paid much if any attention to Dillinger, even when he started the 10 gimmick.  But looking back the guy is super valuable to NXT and criminally underrated.  He's gotten a lot of trust to be the first TV match for debuting stars (particularly indy stars) and he can work super well to make the transition easier for them.  Definitely appreciate him more than I did before.  And him and Nak had a fun match, am really glad Grave's call of Kinshasha is going to be a regular thing.

And Cristobal, I haven't read spoilers, but I imagine Enzo/Cass are jobbing on their way out as well.  But FWIW I'm okay with that as Ciampa/Gargano and American Alpha are the ones staying in NXT.

It's the Dillinger's advantage that he's been part of the WWE system so long, and knows what they're looking for. He first started in developmental over 10yrs ago and was briefly on the main roster for a spell, so he's perfect as a JTTS to get guys used to the WWE way. I think I heard he does some coaching in the Performance Centre too, so it's a pretty decent position for him.

11 minutes ago, NickMD said:

Liked the promo and was happy to see her check on Izzy afterwards, especially after reading about how Izzy reacted at Takeover.

Yeah, no. Could they just never mention that girl again already?  You've got this little girl who is way too invested, to the point of breaking down when her favorite loses, and you are exploiting that on TV for some super babyface narrative.

Almost as creepy as the fans singing at Bayley.  Almost.

• Like 1

A cameraman finding crying children reaction shots in the crowd IS pro wrestling.  

Setting a girl up front and center and using her in story lines, while knowing that you can pull whatever emotion you want out of her, is sort of creepy. Add in the ever-present brony factor and it's extra creepy.

On top of that it's also pretty much cheating.  It's like canned crowd noise on SD in human form

I disagree. Canned noise on SD or whatever the hell was going on during Mania's main event is trying to work the viewing audience as to the live audience's reaction. Izzy reaction shots, unsurprising as they might be, are the real thing. 

At worst, it's the equivalent of focusing on the kids in the Cena gear while most of the crowd is singing "John Cena sucks".

If they hauled the same Cena kid around to every show, then maybe.  I thought the Sasha moment was pretty cool in the iron man match at the time, but looking back it's using an unstable young fangirl to get over.  It's one thing for something like that to happen as a one off moment, but it's another to lean on a girl like that as a storytelling crutch over and fucking over again.

It's sort of a shitty thing and I suspect her parents are trash human beings.

I don't see that as exploitative, at least anymore than when they shows kids reacting to certain events.  She's a superfan who would go to all the shows, got recognized by Bayley and WWE and they likely accommodated her family so she's in the front row.  And surely WWE's doing it because they get that camera shot that helps sell a moment to people.  As for her freak out at Takeover, that was off camera.  So those that know are the ones there and whoever read online.  But WWE's definitely not in the wrong for that.

Now questioning if the girl is unstable or if the family is trash?  I haven't heard anything like that about them, but feel free to investigate.  Better yet, tell that to @CodyStarbuck who is her dad and see what he says.  But without knowing a thing about them you're fine with suspecting that about them?  I'm cool with you but c'mon, man.

As someone who was sitting maybe 10 feet from Izzy and family at the Axxess tapings, I didn't get the impression they were bad people, but they are very vocal fans.  They seem to have something to say about everyone from Bayley to Tucker Knight.  They seem really invested in the product in a way that doesn't surprise me that their daughter gets emotional when her favorite wrestler loses.  I don't know if that is a good or bad thing, but I don't think anyone can call them bad people because of it.

28 minutes ago, NickMD said:

Now questioning if the girl is unstable or if the family is trash?  I haven't heard anything like that about them, but feel free to investigate.  Better yet, tell that to @CodyStarbuck who is her dad and see what he says.  But without knowing a thing about them you're fine with suspecting that about them? 

Yes.  And no thanks on talking to that dude on twitter.  I would rather not know their names.

All young children are emotionally unstable so I didn't really mean that as a negative toward the little girl. I'm just not comfortable with how they are exploiting her, whether it's the company in storylines or the parents to get better seats.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jrag said:

If they hauled the same Cena kid around to every show, then maybe.  I thought the Sasha moment was pretty cool in the iron man match at the time, but looking back it's using an unstable young fangirl to get over.  It's one thing for something like that to happen as a one off moment, but it's another to lean on a girl like that as a storytelling crutch over and fucking over again.

It's sort of a shitty thing and I suspect her parents are trash human beings.

Wow, Izzy is unstable?  Talk about being shitty.  She's an 8 year old girl that loves Bayley, of course she's gonna be upset when Bayley loses.  That's how 8 year old girls work.

• Like 1

Bliss gets so much of the character stuff right. Loved the pissed look, when she grabbed Tessa by the throat. But the match itself was just not very good. She needs a more seasoned wrestler in there with her at this point. I still see potential in her and Morgan though. Tessa too.