DVDVR Message Board

Countdown To October

Burgundy LaRue

Are we up for trying another round of Halloween Havoc?

I was hoping you'd run that, yeah.  I won't be doing the 31 movies in 31 days thing, but I'd absolutely do Halloween Havoc.

Yeah, I would  too. Hopefully I'll get something better than Critters 2.

Well, there's a couple of people, at least.

So far, my Halloween list consists of

No One Lives

V/H/S 2

[REC] 3

The ABC's of Death

Dark Circles

Dark Skies

Last Kind Words

Nailbiter

The Unbroken

A Haunting At Silver Falls

The Evil Dead re-image is going to be on STARZ soon and V/H/S is on limited rotation on the Showtime Networks right now (I wish I'd known that before last night when I redeemed my Redbox rental code I got from playing McDonald's Monopoly).

I am trying to overcome my hate of Insidious's ending and go see the sequel next weekend.  I still await news of when / what form the Slender Man movie, Entity, will arrive in.  It has gone back to re-shoots now that the directors have a larger budget to work with, but I expect it will go straight to DVD instead of getting a general release.

Right now, the best Slender Man related dealie out there is the short film, Proxy, a project created by Mike Diva and the folks at BlackBoxTV (the YouTube horror anthology series).

The Asian horror front has been relatively silent this year.  The only movie that has piqued my interest is Japan's The Complex which has received just as many jeers as cheers.

You should all try to track down the Israeli suspense chiller One / Two punch of Rabies and Big Bad Wolves.

ABCs of Death is good times.  You will find lots to like, along with lots to not like. Once you know that each filmmaker was given $5000 to make their short, it's fun to speculate on what Ti West did with the $4950 he didn't use.

Has anyone seen The Fields?  I want to add it to my list by virtue of hearing about an unbelievably stellar performance by Cloris Leachman.... but then I see that Tara Reid is in the cast and I am all um, er, well and shit.

I've heard the odd accusation of the film being "boring" but I can brush them off as the ADD fueled ramblings of mordern horror fans with no appreciation or patience for tension building... so long as someone else vouches for the movie.

I'm so ready for Halloween!  This weekend I'm shopping for more decorations for my place and I'm getting my viewing list ready for later this month and all October.

I've seen a few things so far, all rewatches.

The Fog - This is in my top 3 favorite John Carpenter films and I think after a couple more rewatches (this is my 3rd or 4th), I could make a case that this would be my favorite.  The atmosphere is absolutely perfect in this and Tom Atkins is amazing as usual!

Don't Go in the House - I thought I hadn't seen this before as I didn't recognize the title but I had about 3 years ago.  A really, really sleazy ripoff of Psycho that I enjoyed more this time around.  A disturbed man with pyromania goes off the deep end after his overbearing mother dies and invites unsuspecting women over to his creepy house and burns them alive.  Grimy as all get out but absolutely perfect if you're in the mood for watching something that would play at a grindhouse.

House of the Devil - I think I love this more each time I watch it and it's fast becoming one of the most rewatchable films in my movie collection.  I loved the mood that Ti West set and the slow burn of it all.

Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter - Today gave me a reason to rewatch this and this still is a lot of fun from the last two dozen times I've seen it.  While Part 3 is my favorite, this is probably my second favorite of the series.

Here is my working list of films I watch to watch for the first time from now until Halloween:

• Alligator
  • Anthropophagus
  • Baby Blood
  • Black Cat
  • Bloodbeat
  • Cathy’s Curse
  • The Deadly Spawn
  • Death Laid An Egg
  • Death Walks On High Heels
  • The Devil’s Rain
  • Disney’s Halloween Treat
  • The Dorm That Dripped Blood
  • Driller Killer
  • Edge of the Axe
  • Emanuelle and the Lost Cannibals
  • From Beyond
  • I Drink Your Blood
  • The Invisible Maniac
  • La Residencia
  • Massacre at Central High
  • Messiah of Evil
  • Near Dark
  • Nightmare
  • Perversion Story
  • Rattlers
  • Satanico Pandemonium
  • Savage Weekend
  • Sisters
  • Slaughterhouse Rock
  • Tales from the Crypt
  • Trip with the Teacher
  • Tourist Trap
  • The Unseen
  • The Werewolf Versus The Vampire Woman
  • Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key

Looking through Netflix and some of the films that catch my eye for October are:

A Haunting At Silver Falls

American Mary

Bordello of Blood

Hellraiser I, II and III

The Friday the 13 series (that is available)

The Fangoria series

Netflix has a good selection this year and I didn't even include the campy T&A horror flicks.

Someone mentioned the new Evil Dead being on Starz (or another movie channel). That will be required viewing for me, and I might have to check out what is On Demand through my cable system.

EDIT: Looks like The Friday the 13th series is no longer streaming on Netflix :o

• Alligator
  • Anthropophagus
  • Baby Blood
  • Black Cat
  • The Deadly Spawn
  • The Devil’s Rain
  • Driller Killer
  • From Beyond
  • I Drink Your Blood
  • Near Dark
  • Nightmare
  • Savage Weekend
  • Sisters
  • Tales from the Crypt
  • Tourist Trap
  • The Werewolf Versus The Vampire Woman

New Blood you are gonna have fun with all of these. I'm assuming Baby Blood was released on VHS domestically as The Evil Within with a Gary Oldman voiceover (!) and it's insane. Tourist Trap, Near Dark, and Tales from the Crypt are absolute classics. And Alligator, Deadly Spawn, Nightmare and the Naschy movie, all for... different reasons, haha. I still really need to see Messiah of Evil and Perversion Story. 

Wait not only are Goblin coming to town in October... but who will be at the screening of his new movie at the Chicago Film Fest next month?

DARIO

ARGENTO

THAT SHIT CRAY

WHAT THE FUCK?  WE ARE ALL CRASHING AT YOUR CRIB, JAE~!

And what he said about Asia.

So I worked out my October viewing schedule tonight, the better to open things up to my friends. A lot of franchise marathoning, and Halloween still isn't set in stone yet (we run an annual movie marathon, so I picked one already, going to pick a second, and then the third will be a group vote). Here's what I got (by date, with marathon days worked around my days off of Thurs/Fri/Sun).

1- Halloween (1979)

2- Friday the 13th (2009), Jason X

3- [.REC], [.REC2][.REC3]: Genesis

4- Death Bell, Ju-on

5- Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge

6- Hellraiser, Hellbound: Hellraiser 2, Hellraiser 3: Hell on Earth

7- Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

8- Nightmare on Elm Street 4: Dream Master

9- Nightmare on Elm Street 5: Dream Child

10- Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare, New Nightmare, Freddy vs. Jason

11- Paranormal Activity 1-4

12- Sinister

13- Hellraiser: Bloodline, Hellraiser: Inferno, Hellraiser: Hellseeker

14- A Tale of Two Sisters

15- Paranormal Activity 2: Tokyo Night

16- The Hole, Session 9

17- ABCs of Death, V/H/S, V/H/S/2

18- Carrie (2013)

19- Dead Silence

20- Hellraiser: Deader, Hellraiser: Hellworld, Hellraiser: Revelations

21- Martyrs

22- YellowBrickRoad

23- Rocky Horror Picture Show, Shock Treatment

24- Within the Woods, Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness

25- Evil Dead (2013), Evil Dead: The Musical, Army of Darkness (Director’s Cut)

26- Mama (short), Imprint

27- 1408, Grave Encounters, Mama

28- Audition

29- Hard Candy

30- The Midnight Meat Train, In the Mouth of Madness

31- Trick r Treat, ?, ?

Some things are favourites. Some are blank filling. Some are first time views. Thoughts on what to add, remove, etc.? With some explanation so I can decide whether to actually implement please.

I know it's not October yet, but we're starting the Halloween season by watching Insidious and the Evil Dead remake tonight.  Tomorrow night we're going to Universal Horror Nights, so gonna get familiar with the movies before checking out the mazes.