DVDVR Message Board

Balls Mahoney dies at age 44

The link to the article tells more about this than the article itself.  But this really sucks, especially since he was only 44.  I don't know of any recent issues he may have had, but considering how things have fared for some ECW wrestlers hopefully I'm hoping it was just a freak accident.

2 hours ago, NickMD said:

The link to the article tells more about this than the article itself.  But this really sucks, especially since he was only 44.  I don't know of any recent issues he may have had, but considering how things have fared for some ECW wrestlers hopefully I'm hoping it was just a freak accident.

A Hardcore Chair Swinging Freak accident, one assumes.

Balls told us a really funny story about his SMW run as Boo Bradley where he borrowed New Jack's sports car, only to get pulled over by the local redneck cops who knew what it looked like and had it in for Jack. "OUT OF THE CAR N****R! Wait, Boo? What are you doing with New Jack's car?"

And Balls had to go into character. "Well I saw his car and it was so pretty and shiny that I just had to take it for a spin..." Long story short, he spent his time down there absolutely blitzed out on weed just to cope with it.

• Like 3

I dunno, I like Lance Storm's honesty. I know it's not cool to be honest about something like this at this time, but it shows something about Balls' personality, and it shows that at least Storm knows he was being a dick about it and feels bad now (too late, but still...)

His run in SMW was incredible. His trouble with Tammy Sytch was so much fun. Great character. I hate to hear he may have not liked it, because it was done well.

• Like 2

Clearly he'd been in poor health for years, but dying after a fall?  That's just weird.

As with Axl Rotten, I'm shocked to learn that Balls was younger than I am.

(Also, it always amused me the way the Aptermags would list him as "B. Mahoney" and eventually just "Mahoney.")

5 minutes ago, cool arrow said:

Clearly he'd been in poor health for years, but dying after a fall?  That's just weird.

As with Axl Rotten, I'm shocked to learn that Balls was younger than I am.

(Also, it always amused me the way the Aptermags would list him as "B. Mahoney" and eventually just "Mahoney.")

Haha, was just about to post that. IIRC, sometimes in ECW they'd announce him as "The man who is too hot/controversial for PWI Magazine!"

RIP Balls. I got a picture with him and Hack Myers at an ECW show in 1999. Really nice guys.

• Like 1

Saw Balls wrestle live so many times on ECW shows.  He always worked hard and never failed to entertain.  I actually saw him in what was billed as the first explosion death match in the US in Asbury Park for ECW.  He was over huge, and it felt like a really big night for him.  Very sad news, as always with a young person who should have lived so much more life.  

I love what New Jack said about him in the extras of the Forever Hardcore doc: "Balls... Balls is special. Balls need a hug. You know how some bitches need money, or to get their nails and their hair done? Balls needs a hug. You give one to him and he'll go "oh, thanks man!" Balls need a hug."

RIP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jstout said:

His run in SMW was incredible. His trouble with Tammy Sytch was so much fun. Great character. I hate to hear he may have not liked it, because it was done well.

I get the impression it wasn't the character so much as how fucking STUPID the fans were down there.

He also had a great line about the Xanta Klaus gimmick: "$5,000 for 10 minutes work and I retire undefeated." He got a standing ovation for that. :D

My favorite Balls memory is when WWECW was first a thing and doing their own touring they ran a house show at Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, PA. The back of the arena was super accessible to fans to be able to meet the wrestlers if the wrestlers chose to engage with the fans.

Anyway, I think Balls was one of the first wrestlers to get to the arena and is super nice. Eventually someone asks him if he wants a drink, Balls says yes and walks over to this guy's car and they start drinking straight whiskey in the parking lot hours before the show with the fans.

I tweeted this out,

I remember seeing Balls at a Queens show, I think USA Pro or Jack Sabboth's ICW.  He's in an armbar and the ref asks him if he quits:  "FUCK YOU NO!"  his opponent (I think Gangrel) cranks the armbar "OW!  MAYBE!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

Jack Sabboth's ICW.

Well, I guess it's time for a new name.

But anyway, I'm gonna miss Balls even though I hadn't seen a single match of his since he left WWE. The first time I saw Balls Mahoney, I was immediately a fan because I was a very husky kid and he had that sort of Mick Foley-esque physique and did crazy shit with chairs and fire, and obviously, that's really exciting to a kid. I think it was a tag match but I can't remember if he was teaming with Axl or if it was Spike. I also thought he had the most hilarious name ever, and as someone mentioned with PWI, I really loved that he was B. Mahoney on the TNN-era action figure as well. I am really bummed out he's gone, but honestly, I saw a trailer for a shoot interview of his where he had no teeth and shit and though I try not to judge anyone in this life, I just had a feeling he was in a rough situation. It's still insane to me that he wrestled John Cena on Raw

I can't find the article at the moment, but one said something about him being in a walker. If he fell, and considering the headshots he took, it's entirely possible he had a massive brain aneurysm or stroke.

I traveled to see a bunch of ECW in the early 00's and Balls was consistently a nice dude. Not "trying to get in my pants" nice, but an honest nice big goof. One time a bunch of us women who knew each other online went to a show in Charleston, WV, since it was a middle distance from everyone. Balls, of course, got a concussion. Some of the group were training to be wrestlers (a couple here at Moolah's old school) and they were worried about him. He was like, "Oh, I'll just hang out in the school playground across the street until my head clears." Needless to say, we all stayed up with him until 2 or 3 am to make sure nothing happened to him. The stories he told didn't always make sense, but we laughed and laughed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

I can't find the article at the moment, but one said something about him being in a walker. If he fell, and considering the headshots he took, it's entirely possible he had a massive brain aneurysm or stroke.

PWI had this (they put it as an update to their original story)

According to those we have spoken to, Mahoney had taken a bad fall several days ago and badly hurt his hip.  He had been using a walker to get around since and this evening, took ill and passed away.  We don't have any additional details beyond that on his passing.  It is far too early to know anything else.

"Oh, I'll just hang out in the school playground across the street until my head clears."

Can you imagine the image of that? I'm sure it was late at night, but he stood just about as much chance at being arrested for that after hours as in broad daylight! 

• Like 1