DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 19: Teixeira vs. Evans (4/16/2016) - Tampa, FL (Amalie Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin

I missed the show, but there's always the possibility of Rashad moving down to 185. It worked for Machida to redeem his career for a bit.

It's been talked about before, so there's always that possibility.

5 minutes ago, grizzlyedwin said:

I missed the show, but there's always the possibility of Rashad moving down to 185. It worked for Machida to redeem his career for a bit.

It's been talked about before, so there's always that possibility.

I think that would be the move to make, but at this point after being thrown around a few times, it would seem like a fruitless endeavor. Machida did it when he was younger and at a much different stage of his career. Rashad is now really on the wrong side of 30. Even though he is the same age of Glover, Glover hasn't had the litany of injuries and setbacks as Rashad including the tough fights. We're now almost half a decade away from Rashad being in peak form. It would be asking a whole lot for him to drop down in weight and also somehow figure out a way to get up there to compete with the likes a Luke Rockhold, a Chris Weidman, or a Ronaldo Souza. A fight with Yoel Romero would just be an absolute nightmare for him in my opinion. Plus, I think someone like Vitor would clip him before the end of the first. So if the best he can do is beat middle of the pack middleweights, he might as well keep the 20 pounds on and beat middle of the pack light heavyweights.

Rashad Evans seems a bit too old to try and make a cut down in weight at this point in his career, especially after all the knee injuries.  He was willing to do it for a guaranteed title shot had he beaten Nogueira three years ago, but that didn't pan out.  

Michael Chiesa's grappling game is really underrated and the dude is tough as nails.  I think very highly of Beneil Dariush, so it's pretty impressive Chiesa was able to submit him.  

Khabib got his tune-up fight, so he can fight for the title or a title eliminator next.  I think this was the best move for him in the long run.  He's been on the shelf so long it's better he gets a fight in now then wait another several months.

Kinda crazy that if Khabib decided not to take the Horcher fight and then observe Ramadan before coming back in the fall, he would have been out of action for 2 and a 1/2 years.

If the UFC can figure out a way to remake the Ferguson fight before June 7, that would be awesome.

• Like 2

That Muslim fighters (and other athletes) would need to observe Ramadan is something I've never even considered before. How does that work? Do they take the entire month off of training? Train at night or really early morning?  I just can't imagine being able to do that much strenuous activity in the daytime regardless of how much you are able to eat before dawn.

I would imagine it varies fighter by fighter. I saw a story where Amir Khan was training at midnight for a potential fight in September. However, for the most part, he never schedules a fight for that time of year.  I would imagine it would be tougher to do in MMA.

I was hoping that Tecia would keep her 0, but Rose's takedowns and that sneaky little jab she's got prevailed.  Tecia is a very smart fighter and she made a lot of adjustments, but Rose made adjustments to the adjustments.  Excellent fight.  Too bad one of them had to lose.  

I'd love to see the rubber match once Tecia has time to watch some tape.  Hopefully it doesn't take another three years to happen.

Jesus, that right hand uppercut that Glover landed through Rashad's hand guard was fucking brutal.  That was the shot that killed Sugar dead, not the left hook.

• Like 1

Based on what was just posted on MMA Junkie, it seems like both the UFC and Rose want to wait before any talk of a title shot. While I believe that is smart on Nanajunas' part since it's clear who the #1 and #2 strawweights are (the actual order is going be decided on 7/8), it does put the actual division in a bind. Does Esparza get another crack at the belt beating Ju Thai this week? Do they throw Moroz in there since she has a win over someone credible and also actual TV exposure? Either way, whoever is next needs at least a solid win between now and late summer to challenge for the belt.

Whether it's for a title or not, I believe Rose and Tecia need to be scheduled for five rounds if they ever do a third fight.

• Like 5