DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 32 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

Guest Edwin

Not sure anyone has mentioned this yet, but -- Ric Flair caught the first dive of career last night and I thought it was so timely awkward it waa hilarious.

I think it was his first...

3 hours ago, J.H. said:

That Russians love their children too?

This show as harder to watch than MANOS: The Hands of Fate un-Mistied.

James

The trick to watching it un-Mistied is getting a copy of it as a bonus dvd with the Mistied version for a Christmas gift.

At least it was for me, as I just appreciated that people thought enough to give me both versions.

Caught up on the preshow since we weren't allowed in to watch it until the Usos/Dudleyz were on. Ryback/Kalisto was a very solid match, better than I was expecting with a lot packed in to a decent amount of time. Total Divas vs. Bad & Blonde was awesome and everyone involved looked pretty good. Emma looked badass in there and I liked Summer's Mania entrance cape. Lana's karate kicks, even Eva Marie's little spots looked cool. Great finish and I will miss Brie Mode.

Watching through some of the show, the women's triple threat was definitely the best with all three putting on excellent performances. I see the cheerleaders routine already has Thunderstruck dubbed over. I realized there weren't hardly any backstage segments this year, no wacky celeb stuff or random awesome legends segments like last year with all the IC champs congratulating Bryan. Some of the feud videos were top notch, mainly the women's match and especially the Reigns/HHH "Hail to the King" video came off way more epic as a feud, awesome stuff there. Triple H entrances always the best, Steph was great there. Loved Steph posing behind HHH doing his trademark pose on the ropes.

EDIT: LOVE that they finally brought back the closing WrestleMania with a recap video of the show. One of my favorite parts of 21 & 22 among others. Awesome.

Maybe this was just where I was watching and a buffering issue, but I'm sure that right after they showed the Japanese announcers, as in a half second after they cut away, an unseen voice said Indeed! That had to have been on purpose.

Meanwhile, that whole Divas Revolution, build up that division for a year, do more than usual to make the title matter, debut/rename a belt at Mania, have a good match...and then have the finish based on old man Flair preventing Sasha's pin breakup...and then the RAW Women's segment be all about the champ thanking her dad who interferes more than Martini in a typical ROH title match...yeah, everyone named McMahon can go the hell away and stay gone after going with that outcome.

You too Shane, Mister fall off the cell and not bother to wear a neck brace the next night. What? Worried you and your sister's kids will think you're really hurt? Smarten 'em up on your own time before the show even starts.

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Were they calling spots extra loud in the Taker/Shane match or was it just because I was watching the second half of the show Monday morning at work with headphones on? 

I could hear both of those guys, and I'm usually bad at noticing the calls, so no, I don't think it was just your headphones.

So if you ignore the Rock 'match' and consider Taker the heel in that weird feud, then the only face wins were in the opener and closer of the main show. If you don't consider Roman a genuine face and follow the conditions above, Ryder winning the opener is the only face win for an advertised match in the whole fucking five hour main show.

No wonder it felt bleak.

2 hours ago, zev said:

Maybe this was just where I was watching and a buffering issue, but I'm sure that right after they showed the Japanese announcers, as in a half second after they cut away, an unseen voice said Indeed! That had to have been on purpose.

JBL said it. So yes, it was on purpose.

Ryback/Kalisto was a very solid match, better than I was expecting with a lot packed in to a decent amount of time. Total Divas vs. Bad & Blonde was awesome and everyone involved looked pretty good.

I think you could almost make an argument that the first two matches were the third and fourth best matches on the show (in reverse order.)

I'll even be more controversial and say the 10 woman tag was a more impressive statement about where womens' wrestling is in WWE than the triple threat.  Because while the triple threat was a match many thought would be incredible, and I thought it was very good, I think it was hindered by too much expectations that it didn't quite live up to.    Meanwhile the ten women looked like it was just a throwaway yet they were busting their asses to make it as good as it could have been.  The triple threat was the better match, but I think the 10 woman seriously overachieved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zev said:

I could hear both of those guys, and I'm usually bad at noticing the calls, so no, I don't think it was just your headphones.

I usually don't hear calls either and heard them in both the HIAC and the main. But the ring mic was noticeably high throughout the show, and the volume of the crowd noise was constantly changing. 

Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch to crown the first WWE Women’s Champion was a great match and definite Match of the Night. I’d have it second only to Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn from NXT TakeOver: Dallas when it comes to WWE in 2016. I appreciate Sasha wearing Eddie Guerrero’s No Way Out 2004 ring attire as Eddie winning the WWE Championship from Brock Lesnar that show led her to become a wrestler and Charlotte wearing a robe made from the same material of Ric Flair’s at WrestleMania XXIV when he lost to Shawn Michaels, nice touches.

The other great match was the WWE Intercontinental Championship Ladder match. I liked Zack Ryder winning with WWE’s treatment of Zack after he got over on his own in 2011. Ryder, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn and Sin Cara stood out. Shout out to @JCM saying Owens was staying down "so he wouldn't get 10 more superkicks from fuck face". Very funny post, I can’t look at Dolph the same now.

These are the only matches I’d recommend.

Some winners shouldn’t have: Chris Jericho, League of Nations and Charlotte. Jericho going over was the worst of them.

Liked seeing Steve Austin, Mick Foley and Shawn Michaels’ cameo.

When you think the Wyatt Family can’t drop any lower, they do.

Triple H had another bad WrestleMania main event (I only count the matches when he went on last, not the others when he usually wrestled for the WWE Championship/World Heavyweight Championship match that went on earlier in the show) going 2-4/ The exceptions: with Shawn Michaels and you know who at WrestleMania XX and John Cena, WrestleMania 22.

WrestleMania lasts around 3 hours, 30 minutes to 3 hours and 45/50 minutes. This was the longest WrestleMania in ages, maybe longer than WrestleMania XX?

Very glad WWE brought back the end of WrestleMania video recapping the show. The last one prior to this was WrestleMania XXV and I’ve missed them.

9 hours ago, zev said:

I heard the ref really clearly as well.  There's a point where he says "allright guys, what's next?" plain as day.

8 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

JBL said it. So yes, it was on purpose.

I think you could almost make an argument that the first two matches were the third and fourth best matches on the show (in reverse order.)

I'll even be more controversial and say the 10 woman tag was a more impressive statement about where womens' wrestling is in WWE than the triple threat.  Because while the triple threat was a match many thought would be incredible, and I thought it was very good, I think it was hindered by too much expectations that it didn't quite live up to.    Meanwhile the ten women looked like it was just a throwaway yet they were busting their asses to make it as good as it could have been.  The triple threat was the better match, but I think the 10 woman seriously overachieved.

Very true. That's one of the reasons I was so happy to see Paige, Team B.A.D., Summer, Brie, Alicia, and Nattie make it to Mania. They've been working hard and having decent to good matches on Main Event and Superstars for weeks now. They deserved their Wrestlemania Moment just as much as anybody else*. While the attention is on Becky, Charlotte, and Sasha (and I do like those women too), people tend to forget the other members of the division trying their best to legitimize it and battle the general apathy that the crowd has for them. And I agree that the 10 women match was better than many expected, especially with still learning Eva and Lana in there. It's just too bad that Nikki was injured and unable to compete. 

*Emma's awesomeness and rightful inclusion in this match goes without saying. 

Finally watched the pre show matches. Ryback&Kalisto had the best one on one match of the night. Really good big man vs little man story(Lawler tried but couldn't ruin my enjoyment of this). 10 women tag was pretty good. I thought Emma was the clear standout with Noami and Fox having some good looking offense. This would've been better with a better performance from Paige. She worked most of the match for her team, and I though almost all of her offense sucked. Brie's transition into the YES lock was the highlight of the match, and a good way for her to go out. Eva didn't look half bad(they smartly put her in with Emma when she had to do more than one spot), and Lana's outfit most definitely not PG. Lana's ever changing accent was also a highlight. I have to mention Eva's massive heel heat, and the fact she's learned how to play to it quite well.

Apparently the Trip & Steph S&M Swingers Club/Skeleton Army (featuring masks from Silver Shamrock) was:

Itami

Dash & Dawson

Chad Gable

Chris Girard

Blake & Murphy

Enzo

The Drifter

Drake Wuertz & 2 other refs

I need a sequel to last year's Wrestlemania 24 Itami special where we follow Hideo all day to culminate in that dumb bullshit

• Like 1

Dave Meltzer's star ratings:

Kalisto vs. Ryback *1/2

10 Woman Tag **1/4

Usos vs. Dudleys *1/2

Intercontinental Championship Ladder match ****1/4

Jericho vs. Styles ***3/4

League of Nations vs. New Day **1/2

Lesnar vs. Ambrose ***1/4

Women's Title ****

Undertaker vs. Shane **1/2

ARMBAR *1/2

Reigns vs. Triple H ***1/4

I'd go higher on the Triple Threat match. Dave was generous with his Street Fight and Hell in a Cell ratings.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I'd go higher on the Triple Threat match. Dave was generous with his Street Fight ratings.

You can say that again.  On a five-star scale, 2.5 is average and that Taker/Shane match was certainly below average.  Spot, lay around, spot, lay around, rinse, repeat.  Thank God and Jesus and Mr. McMahon for the 'skip ahead 10 seconds" button.

• Like 1

Meltzer gave the ladder match 1/4* less than he gave Zayn-Nakamura.

He rated Styles/Jericho as 1/4* BETTER than Balor/Joe.

He had Sasha/Charlotte/Becky as 1/4* better than Bayley/Asuka.

He gave the same rating to the Total Divas tag that he did for Corbin/Aries.

• Like 3