DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 32 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

11 hours ago, Fallacy! said:

Line of the night was: "Is that a toolbox in Shane's hands?! Our monitors are gone and I can't see anything" - Michael Cole, standing two feet away from Shane and Undertaker.

He was extra terrible last night. Trying to do "Owen voice" after Shane took his bump, begging a referee to check on Shane 20 seconds after both referees had already checked on Shane.

• Like 1

he kept getting names mixed up in the Women's Title match too, the three of them are pretty different looking and their names are not that similar. WTF Cole. Owens should have found a way to take him out in the ladder match.

29 minutes ago, rzombie1988 said:

I posted this elsewhere on the Reigns thing:

The way WWE is set up right now, it honestly doesn't matter who the top guy is. WWE will not let anyone become larger than life or go mainstream. PPV buys don't matter. WWE is the only promotion for most people, so if they want to see wrestling, they have to go to WWE events. Numbers like TV rights and merch might be up, but that's because of inflation and higher prices, because we don't see Cena/Reigns shirts everywhere like we did with Austin 3:16. WWE isnt seeing this - they just see 94k crowds and think "dayum we are on fi-ahhhh"

WWE isn't going anywhere, but they also aren't going anywhere. They aren't relying on popularity, they are relying on world wide accessibility through the WWE Network and TV deals. You would think they would use this to take some risks and give different guys a chance, but they are using it to do whatever they want instead. As long as they can keep ratings in the 3 million range and keep the network above 1 million buys, they are on cruise control.

And this where WWE being a publicly traded company comes into play. Now that they have responsibilities they're just like every other major media outlet. They don't take chances and stay the safe course.

Also I'd disagree with your point that WWE won't let anyone become larger than life as Cena still found ways to grow his brand and Roman Reigns constantly doing media for WWE is going to help get him out there and I think if Reigns can get out of WWE and get into the mainstream he is going to do just that. If WWE was concerned with guys never leaving and never becoming larger than life, they'd just put the belt on guys like Ambrose or Rollins who are most likely never going to leave because they love the wrestling business so much

1 minute ago, Brysynner said:

And this where WWE being a publicly traded company comes into play. Now that they have responsibilities they're just like every other major media outlet. They don't take chances and stay the safe course.

That isn't the safe course, though. The safe course - and arguably a better course - is keep it on H until Cena's good enough to take it back, while you build Roman or whoever.

8 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

Triple H raping a corpse, Lita carrying Kane's demon child, Piggy James, the Eddie/Rey/Dominic fiasco, Mohammed Hassan and Vince dying in a limo explosion are just a few things off the top of my head that have happened since WWE went public.

Now, all of that (aside from Hassan) was pretty shitty, but the point is that I don't think we should let WWE being a publicly-traded company be an excuse for "staying the course" and doing the least amount of creative work they possibly can.

EvilClown is a dipshit who thinks he's a far better writer than he actually is and he would have been better of staying in the military and sparing everyone his MMA and wrestling OPINIONZ4U. In short, he can go fuck himself.

• Like 1

Ok, so at long last a full list of thoughts on the matches:

Kalisto vs Ryback: This probably had the highest ratio of "how much I enjoyed" vs "how interested I was in this". Would've guessed Ryback would be going over (a theme that would continue throughout the night) but Kalisto looked great so I'm good with it (a theme that would peter out pretty early on into the main show.)

Total Divas match: Naomi was putting in a ton of effort, but for me the MVP of this match was Emma. She and Paige looked like the only ones out there interested in having a wrestling match for the most of this. Finish was slick, and if that's the Bellas' swan-song, I can't say it was a bad one.

Usos vs Dudleys: I could not have cared any less about this. The Dudleys go and get the tables despite the whole idea of their heel turn being "Screw you people, we're not your trained monkeys", and then they end up getting put through the tables by the Usos despite the crowd wanting it the other way around. (This is another theme that would continue)

Ladder match: Does Ziggler think Superkick City is gonna catch on or something? My MVP in this match is Owens. Playing King of the Hill in the ring at the beginning was great, as was him refusing to climb the splotchy ladder. Sold that suplex from Zayn like death. Zayn looked great (and was over as fuck, unsurprisingly,) but I was surprised as hell when Ryder went over. I mean good for him if that was his moment but if it goes nowhere (and it's WWE and Zack Ryder, of course it's going nowhere) then it was kinda stupid.

Jericho vs Styles: Couldn't get into this. Jericho was in slow-motion. Finish was "...wait, what?" level stupid.

LON vs New Day: Match was alright, wrong team went over, and when you realize they went over one of the few hot acts in the company so we could showcase three retired guys, ugh.

Lesnar vs Ambrose: People who don't like Ambrose should be pleased at this, because clearly WWE has exactly zero plans for Ambrose going forward.

Women's match: I'm not super-happy with the winner, but it's a quibble compared to the issues with the rest of the show, and meanwhile both the match and the retirement of the butterfly belt (and, hopefully, the word "diva") were highlights of the night.

Taker/Shane: This is the point where watching the show became taxing. Everything took forever, and the only thing with an interesting payoff was the cage dive. The booking in the end made no sense, unless the angle isn't over...because of course it isn't. Jesus donkey-shitty Christ fuck this company.

Battle Royal: Well if they weren't gonna give Henry a last win, I guess giving it to an up-and-comer like Corbin is literally the best thing they could do with it, (not that it's going to matter.) Me and my friend: "When did Tatanka show up?" "No fucking clue".

Not commenting on any of that Rock/Wyatts/Cena shit. Fuck all of it.

Main Event: Me and my friend again: "Which wasted more money? the Pyro or the match?" "Roman's push"

10 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Snowden used to post here years and years ago.

As EvilClown and was the TFW mod. He spent the majority of his time talking down to everyone while patting himself on the back, if he wasn't busy patting Just Too Uber on the back.

I'm disappointed RF retweeted Rippa's incredulous tweet about him being in the front row but not my comment about Shane not handing his sons to RF or if RF having to walk around the building advising parents he was in the building.  Nobody loves RevRay.

I kind of wish when Zack's dad jumped in the ring to celebrate with his son that he was dressed like John Morrison.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

As EvilClown and was the TFW mod. He spent the majority of his time talking down to everyone while patting himself on the back, if he wasn't busy patting Just Too Uber on the back.

Yeah, he was a dick. Presumably still is

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, he was a dick. Presumably still is

Yes, he still is. He spent much of his time last night being a contrarian and talking about how good Wrestlemania was while asking shit like why the champ comes out first (HHH as champ always comes out first).

2 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

I'm disappointed RF retweeted Rippa's incredulous tweet about him being in the front row but not my comment about Shane not handing his sons to RF or if RF having to walk around the building advising parents he was in the building.  Nobody loves RevRay.

I kind of wish when Zack's dad jumped in the ring to celebrate with his son that he was dressed like John Morrison.  

BTW - Kris said it appeared that they moved RF shortly after our bitching

So my work here is done

1 minute ago, Vincey Greene said:

That isn't the safe course, though. The safe course - and arguably a better course - is keep it on H until Cena's good enough to take it back, while you build Roman or whoever.

But we don't know exactly how long Cena is out and how busy Cena's going to be with outside projects. The safe course is to go with the guy who looks like a larger than life superhero. He has the athletic background, the family heritage, good looks and is well spoken in front of the media. He's a good stand in for John Cena until Cena decides he does not need WWE anymore (and I wonder how soon that will be)

Just now, Fallacy! said:

Triple H raping a corpse, Lita carrying Kane's demon child, Piggy James, the Eddie/Rey/Dominic fiasco, Mohammed Hassan and Vince dying in a limo explosion are just a few things off the top of my head that have happened since WWE went public.

Now, all of that (aside from Hassan) was pretty shitty, but the point is that I don't think we should let WWE being a publicly-traded company be an excuse for "staying the course" and doing the least amount of creative work they possibly can.

Fair points, I should have specified since WWE became a publically traded company, went to a more PG friendly product (which forces them to not do stupid shit), the change in American social norms (look at earlier this year when Flair forced a kiss on Becky and the reaction that got). 

I look at WWE like I look at Warner Bros handling of DC Comics properties. Wrestlemania, like Batman vs. Superman, could have been shorter and had more edits but in the end it doesn't matter to the company because they made a ton of money. How many people watched all seven hours of Wrestlemania? How many of those same people pay for the Network?  How many of those people will watch RAW tomorrow, next week, the week after, etc. Yes WWE could take a change in direction and do something different but if they stay the course they're guaranteed a profit, whereas doing something different could bring increases in profit or it could bomb tremendously and cost the company money. Plus WWE writers are writing for an audience of one and that's Vince McMahon and it's not going to change after he's dead because Steph/Hunter have pretty much hinted they're going to stay Vince's course.