DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 32 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

I don't watch these live because I value life.

Did they cut the volume on Reigns intro down to "Audio problems" levels once it was clear he was getting booed out of the arena? Because they did on the replay and it's hilarious. Fuck. 

But I'm sure it's only smarky smark marks and the BILLIONS of kid fans love him right? It's not an issue right?

2 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Isn't that essentially heel, though? That statement screams:  I know you don't like me.  I don't give a shit.  I'm getting rich and famous while you whine about it and do nothing with your pathetic lives.  No cares about you or what you think. It's all about me. Roman Empire reigns, you jealous bastards. (mic drop)

Or

"I'm a working man, who comes to work and does his job without caring about what people think. I do my best to be the best and don't let anyone stand in the way."

1 minute ago, Vincey Greene said:

I don't watch these live because I value life.

Did they cut the volume on Reigns intro down to "Audio problems" levels once it was clear he was getting booed out of the arena? Because they did on the replay and it's hilarious. Fuck. 

But I'm sure it's only smarky smark marks and the BILLIONS of kid fans love him right? It's not an issue right?

Here's the muting, and it's super obvious:

https://streamable.com/t6kc

Just now, Big Fresh said:

Nope. You got me.

I'm a Dean fan too. Let's face it, they had to rebrand him. Jon Moxley isn't the most PG character and I think they're trying to bring the edge he had with that and temper it for the PG crowd. Moxley wouldn't have messed with Chairs, he'd have cut Brock's back tattoo off a and made a kit out of it using Paul's intestines as a string.

• Like 1

As I rewatch the show back, Zack Ryder winning the IC title is so fucking stupid beyond words. I can't stand this weird meta non-kayfabe booking WWE does, where it's like, this guy is winning the title as a wink-wink, nod-nod to a guy who despite being treated like a jobber, has been loyal to the company and got himself over five years ago. It was the same with Ambrose getting to face Lesnar, because kayfabe wise there's really no logical reason to believe a guy who has lost 127 straight PPV matches should have a chance against Lesnar, but let's give him this match for being popular and always putting on good performances. That should be enough to make people believe he has a chance to win. Right.

• Like 1

I posted this elsewhere on the Reigns thing:

The way WWE is set up right now, it honestly doesn't matter who the top guy is. WWE will not let anyone become larger than life or go mainstream. PPV buys don't matter. WWE is the only promotion for most people, so if they want to see wrestling, they have to go to WWE events. Numbers like TV rights and merch might be up, but that's because of inflation and higher prices, because we don't see Cena/Reigns shirts everywhere like we did with Austin 3:16. WWE isnt seeing this - they just see 94k crowds and think "dayum we are on fi-ahhhh"

WWE isn't going anywhere, but they also aren't going anywhere. They aren't relying on popularity, they are relying on world wide accessibility through the WWE Network and TV deals. You would think they would use this to take some risks and give different guys a chance, but they are using it to do whatever they want instead. As long as they can keep ratings in the 3 million range and keep the network above 1 million buys, they are on cruise control.

• Like 1

Really pleasantly surprised by the pre-show women's match. Some dissonance (Summer's attire was very Maryse, Lana's didn't really convey her character, Emma's nonsensical-but-awesome shoulderpads) but: Fox's kicks looked delightfully hurty, Eva pulled off a fine flying headscissor and replied to a YOU CAN'T WRESTLE with a fine suplex, Naomi's jogging kicks looked the best they've ever looked, Paige and Nattie's Hart Attack was an organic tribute, Naomi's crossbody into the ropes was NUTS...

• Like 3

I still like Dean a lot, but the booking of that match didn't help him one bit.

And yes, they were muting audio constantly. Tim on Facebook made the joke that it was funny to see the production crew turn the audio back up to see if the boos died down only to immediately turn the volume back down again. 

Every NXT related chant was muted, namely the Nakamura chant, which totally disappears right as it starts. Crowd cheering for Reigns winning was also pumped in, which was super gross. Fan cams show they booed the finish out of the arena.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

Or

"I'm a working man, who comes to work and does his job without caring about what people think. I do my best to be the best and don't let anyone stand in the way."

Except JBL also said "Roman Reigns isn't a bad guy.  But he isn't a good guy, either."  I don't know.  I could be overthinking it.  But that sounds more like a tweener leaning toward being a heel to me.

13 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Tenzan?

Well, I just meant that Tatanka means buffalo. But now that you mention it, they do have eerily similar body types and mullets.

The spirit is real.

Even if you take all of the booking and production stuff off the table, who were the agents for these matches? The only one that felt like it was put together with more than two minutes thought was the Women's match. I've never seen so many guys considered ring generals look totally lost for minutes at a time. 

46 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Crews would be a weird name to call up. The other guys I could see, but Crews still needs a lot of work because the extent of his character now is smilin' power flippy babyface.

I could see Crews doing better on the main roster. NXT is the place where character work is important, and all the matches aren't expected to be soulless spot fests. I think Crews fits in better with the brand that doesn't give a shit about character work, and has the talent do the same moves in the same order every week. The guy they just put the world title on in the main event of WrestleMania doesn't have a character either.

So, thinking about the booking:

- Ladder match: I hope that Owens and Zayn splits off from belts. Just have a feud. Ryder winning was odd but you can transition the belt to a new guy and maybe this gives Ryder some juice. I don't think anyone comes out hurt over this.

- AJ vs Jericho. Well, when was the last time Jericho even won at 'mania? It all depends on the next step. Jericho is past his prime but probably has some value left. Their series is 2-2 so maybe a submission match is next. Odd booking, veering to bad.

- Women's match. Sasha had been a flop on the main roster so it wasn't the time for her. Build that to a 1 on 1 match in front of a hot crowd where the match can be 3rd from the top. No problem with this.

- New Day vs LON. Baffled by people freaking about this. LON cheated and beat the non-wrestling manager. Life goes on. Whether it's exciting or not, all of those guys are gonna need to be heated up as heels. No problem with this.

- Ambrose v Lesnar was a flop. They have to turn Dean heel. They have no clue what to do with Brock. They don't want to make him the main event nor can they beat him. What was the point of him going over Taker, Cena, Hunter if not to give someone a big win. The main should have been Lesnar vs Reigns. I imagine we get that soon but just a terrible match layout that was probably neutered due to the other main events.

- Wyatts are dead. Rock has helped kill more acts by going meta when he's with heels and pointing out how dumb they and their characters are.

- HITC proved that Shane's comeback was strictly to save the show. There was no big angle or big shift planned. Everyone died so they brought back Shane for an angle. And...it worked. Match was fine and was about as good as those 'spectacle' matches are. Was in line with Vince/Hogan and Vince/Shawn etc.

- Main was oddly places. Why put a cold babyface at the tail end of a 75 hour show and after the fucking Rock shows up with a flamethrower. Match was well-worked but that was ALWAYS what it was gonna be. But...y'know...great. They finally put Roman over. They've figured out his character so he won't talking about tater-tota. Now throw him out there and see what happens. Maybe it turns into a Cena-deal where everyone pretends to not want to see him but he turns into a draw. More than likely, he's Diesel 2 and he drops the title and goes heel. Either way, at least we have moved the story after two years.

Oh, Corbin winning was cool, I guess and he's a guy who isn't enough of a draw to be valuable to stay in NXT but has been in developmental so long they kind of had to bring him up

So...I dunno...the booking was curious but not a bad show by any stretch. 

• Like 1