DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 32 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

Everybody worked hard during the ladder match. Sin Cara's outfit and mask looked cool. Someone mentioned it earlier, but it's not a good sign when The Miz makes the most effort to catch you during a dive. I was happy Ryder won. It was a genuine surprise. He got some air on that elbow from the ladder and took a nasty face first bump from the ladder as well. 

What was the point of The Rock's promo? He puts Bray Wyatt over and lets the crowd acknowledge that he is putting him over... Only to take bury him mid-ring. 

EDIT: Forgot to add that the Dudley's lost to an Uso superkick, and they superkick everybody. 

Edited by A Guy Named Tracy

42 minutes ago, Fallacy! said:

Charlotte is pretty much the best heel in the company at this point and her run really feels like it's just getting going. Her retaining the title is just about the only thing from this shitshow I didn't mind. Puts more heat on her and the title and it will make it a much bigger deal when Sasha (or whoever) finally beats her one-on-one. 

I think they can easily drag that out to Summerslam, or have it main event one of the spring PPV's.

I could see something like that either main eventing or co-main eventing Battleground.

• Like 1

Roman needs to come out tomorrow night and just trash the entire "WWE Universe."  An image change would be nice too.  Ditch the shield armor BS and put on a tie and jacket. You are the man in WWE now Roman, and you need to let everyone know it.

So it has been years since I posted and I do miss the green background. I only just started watching wrestling again in the last six months and it seems that it is the same WWE as ten years ago. With that in mind here is what I liked. 

The women's title match. As Lynch took the fall, it might be setting up the payoff of Banks v Flair in Brooklyn. Would love it if they were the main event at Summerslam but that is probably wishful thinking. 

The entire mid card destroying their bodies for my enjoyment in the IC match. 

The play-by-play announcer on the pre-show (sorry I don't know his name). Perhaps he is a tad too excited for 7am as it was in Australia, but it is nice to have somebody knowledgeable about the name of moves and history calling matches. 

AJ v Jericho. I have only seen one of their previous matches so it wasn't stale from my perspective. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably never watch the match again, but it was decent wrestling with a couple of false finishes that kept my interest. 

I was busy making jokes about officially licensed Roman Reigns fisting merchandise (along with a shaka companion piece for The Usos) during the main event to catch Roman taunting the audience. What did he do? I certainly do not want to have to sit through that again to find out. 

I guess I should've expected the hate but I thought this was a decent Mania. Not an all timer but I'd put it solidly upper middle. The work was quite good in a lot of matches although I expected the finishes (i.e. who went over) to sour people.

Even though I'm a Sami/KO fanboy, really happy Ryder got his moment. He worked hard, got himself over and was rewarded with an epic burial for his efforts. It's probably a few years and Eve Torres too late to change his overall career but at least he'll have his Moment.

Brock-Ambrose was very disappointing. I don't think Ambrose should've gone over at all - Brock hasn't jobbed clean since beating Taker and losing a junk match to Ambrose would be silly - but this being a glorified squash seemed like a waste of all involved.

The Woman's Title Match - and thank goodness they ditched the "Divas" shit and butterfly belt - was awesome. It got a tad too frenetic at times which led to some sloppiness but overall they all did a helluva job. Sasha has all the star power in the world but having her chase Charlotte awhile doesn't bother me.

Hell in Cell promised a trademark Shane Insanity Spot and it delivered. The rest was not that good but honestly age has caught up with Taker so there's not much you can do with him anymore.

Not surprised Corbin won the Andre. He's big so he'll get the monster push. Hope everybody is ready for Corbin-Reigns at Mania 34 because as long as Vince is  booking, it's coming.

Main was pretty boring. The muting of the crowd made it seem dead. Although it was a dull match with both guys repeating a lot of spots. Did think this was the best Steph has ever looked - maybe "Kink Armory Soccer Mom Dominatrix" is just my thing - and she took that spear like a boss. Roman winning out of nowhere was kinda odd but the whole match was weirdly slow and awkward. I don't like it but best thing they can do now is keep the belt on Roman until Orlando.

On another note, aside from a couple of entrances, this felt devoid of the pomp and circumstance that they've come to bring to the event. Sasha getting rapped to the ring by Snoop, Trips, and New Day really felt like the noteable entrances. Most just had updated ring gear and that was it. It didnt really even feel like a WM. I think the person behind the barricade was right - everyone thought it was Summer Slam.

• Like 1

I'm not joking, Rock/Rowan may have been the legit best match of the night. When The Rock said "match" and took the sweatpants off to reveal his wrestling gear, there was a real electricity if you will in the building that was clearly not present for any other match. It also lasted the appropriate amount of time to get all the important spots in without dragging and the right person went over.

• Like 1

Will catch up on the thread tomorrow since work comes early but it was a fun enough live experience and cool to attend a Mania so just sharing my quick thoughts.

Ryder winning was a surprise. Liked the match, maybe a bit more than last year's. Though going in Owens was the only one with a chance.

Thought Styles/Jericho was very good. Crowd was way in to it with all the false finishes. Crazy that Jericho won clean though, didn't expect that.

Six man tag was simple, nice win for the League for a change. Fun post-match with the legends. Loved Shawn coming in his gear like it was match time.

Lesnar/Ambrose was disappointing with a very underwhelming finish. Expected it to take a lot more to keep Dean down but it was fairly simple. Shocking that Brock didn't even bleed!

Women's match was awesome. All three looked great. Figured Charlotte would retain but feel bad for Becky never getting the big wins from the NXT title on. Sasha's dive was crazy but came out looking super cool, loved the live Snoop entrance too.

HIAC was the 30 minute(!) spectacle we all hoped for. Entertaining car crash. Shane's wild dive will be a memorable highlight. Satisfying finish with Taker just ending things. Glad it's not his last, Shane put on a show and I wish he was staying around after this.

Andre battle royal was wild. Shaq was a great random surprise, finally paying off the Big Show/Shaq showdown from 7 years ago. Tatanka sneaking in there somehow. Great surprise victory for Baron Corbin and a hell of a debut for him, didn't see that coming beforehand.

Rock is always fun as is killing the Wyatts. Rock sets the new shortest match record beating Kane/Chavo at 24. Glad to see Cena ended up involved in someway.

Thought the main event was a good match overall but Reigns win as expected had the crowd pretty disinterested, especially with nothing out of the ordinary taking place. Afterwards, HHH recovered after a few minutes laid out and posed with Steph to cheers then went and hugged the family at ringside. I will miss this all too brief in ring return of the Game if he just goes back to the Authority role now.

Overall enough real good matches to enjoy the show.

Probably going to go unnoticed for various reasons but Naomi was great tonight. Did a lot to hold together the Divas tag and bumped like a lunatic. That missed crossbody hitting the ropes was insane. Also the dyed hair and light up boots ruled. She totally deserves a Women's Title run but will probably fly under the radar because zeitgeist.

• Like 1

Can't believe im currently in work after 2 hours of sleep after this shit heap of a show.

AJ losing as some "welcome to the big leagues,kid" is absolute bullshit. 

The Attitude era love ins need to stop. As much as i love Austin,Rock and co. enough is enough. At least have the Austin,HBK and Foley put the New Day over. Whoever said about the younger talent being made they should feel honoured to job for the older generation got it spot on.

Brock vs Dean was a complete letdown and did nothing for Dean. Lesnar does not give a single fuck anymore.

Womens match was great but of course Flairs daughter is going to be the first womens champ. 

The Rock is great but all this Instagram bullshit lately of telling this big long story to put himself over in the end is getting really annoying.

Taker/Shane was designed just for a table spot. 

God damn awful

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Probably going to go unnoticed for various reasons but Naomi was great tonight. Did a lot to hold together the Divas tag and bumped like a lunatic. That missed crossbody hitting the ropes was insane. Also the dyed hair and light up boots ruled. She totally deserves a Women's Title run but will probably fly under the radar because zeitgeist.

I'm with you, I've been liking Naomi a ton lately and I think she has a bright future in the women's division. She is super athletic and her strikes are great. She's getting there.

Oh man, one of my favorite things of the night was FUNAKI #1 Announcer!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They erupted into a big "Ole'" chant also.  So, is 100,000 (or 85,000) enough of a sample size of wrestling fans for ANYONE to realize who is over and who isn't? I think it's more than enough.  WWE is so lost.

Roman defenders and/or people who want to challenge your statement will say WrestleMania is just a smarky crowd now, and it's not the measuring stick for what general WWE audiences think.

That said... I can't wait for the usual suspects to trout out their excuses in the morning. It'll be a blast. "Roman doesn't care what the "IWC" or males 18-80 think about him! It's a family product!!!"

I went back and watched Kalisto v. Ryback. It's a super fun match. No exaggeration it's probably the 3rd best match of the whole show. Ryback in the bully role is awesome and Kalisto hit all of his spots perfectly. His gear was awesome. Plus, Mauro on commentary is so good.

17 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I fucking LOVE that book. I hunted down a copy just so I can read it to my kids.

Highlight of my night is this book getting a mention. Now im off to watch Sami v Nak for the 6th time in 2 days...

A wise choice