DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 32 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Peck said:

He COMPLETELY butchered Flair's interference in the finish. That's the one that immediately came to my mind.

Also Sasha falling from seemingly a wormhole to land on top of Becky/Charlotte to break up a pin.

1 minute ago, sydneybrown said:

Are you aware of what certain drugs can do?  Because I don't feel like having that conversation either.

I'm not equating Shane being on roids to him having good cardio. I'm just saying, Shane didn't look anymore winded than Taker... wrestling is hard. Lots of dudes get blown up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JCM said:

Sasha was the best performer on this show. She looked like a total star on her entrance, busted out a rope walk rana, frog splash, and an insane tope con hilo that may or may not have been planned but looked awesome, she bumped like a fucking lunatic, and the fans were begging for her to win the title. The show was shit, but the NXT girls delivered so at least there's something positive to come out of this.

My issue was Sasha was there were LONG stretches of that match where she wasn't in it to the point that I thought she was injured.  Lynch probably did more in that match.  I feel like Sasha blew her original top rope plan and just changed it mid-move and in retrospect it looked more badass.

1 minute ago, piranesi said:

Also Sasha falling from seemingly a wormhole to land on top of Becky/Charlotte to break up a pin.

That's a huge Dunnism. He loves people diving into frame on a tight shot and it almost always looks dopey. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steve said:

I'm not equating Shane being on roids to him having good cardio. I'm just saying, Shane didn't look anymore winded than Taker... wrestling is hard. Lots of dudes get blown up.

Tatanka didn't.  Or he did and then, like shit all the sudden he was back.  What was that?  Dude was straighty up heart attacking and then BAM!!

I think Corbin is going to have a pretty hard time succeeding on the main roster once he gets there permanently. I know he was in there with Kane, Big Show, and Mark Henry; but he looked so average sized. The Ascension have the same problem. They looked like monsters in nxt, then get called up and no longer look imposing. 

30 minutes ago, Matt D said:

No. No. You don't get to be fucking reasonable about this interminable thing that we all just sat through. You don't have the right. Fucking reasonable. What the hell? Did you write that post yesterday? Is it the new board just pushing it to now. You take it back right now. Right fucking now.

LOL. Chill. It was long, yeah, but everyone I watched it with was pretty into everything. 

Meltzer seems to be pretty positive,overall, about the show. That seems uncharacteristic of him. 

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think Corbin is going to have a pretty hard time succeeding on the main roster once he gets there permanently. I know he was in there with Kane, Big Show, and Mark Henry; but he looked so averaged sized. The Ascension have the same problem. They looked like monsters in nxt, then get called up and no longer look imposing. 

Yeah.  The Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal Trophy may as well be renamed "The Maven Memorial This is the last good thing we're going to give you, kid" Trophy.

16 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Guys...Vince never actually said Shane had to beat Taker. Only that he had to have a match. Is the wording of the challenge going to be used as a loophole and Shane still gets Raw despite losing? 

I thought about that at the beginning of the show too, but I suspect it will just more Authority building up to Trips v Roman II.

My quick thoughts are that the booking seemed designed to provoke the fans at every turn.
HHH's entrance was insane and maybe the most enjoyable thing on the show without an NXT alum in it, followed by the New Day's entrance.
Maria Menounos looked....wow. Quite amazing.
If I were New Day, League of Nations or the Waytts I would really be questioning what the company sees for me. New Day to a lesser extent but they still were made to look like goofs in that segment if they couldn't do what three broken down retired guys could.

2 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Tatanka didn't.  Or he did and then, like shit all the sudden he was back.  What was that?  Dude was straighty up heart attacking and then BAM!!

That was a real bullshit moment too.  The battle royal is minutes in and JBL mentions that Tatanka is there and Cole assumes that he's joking....and whoa wait, there he is!!!  I mean, they paid Tatanka to be there...to be treated like a joke?  Shit, I'll take half the pay to do the same.  I'll even go out first.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think Corbin is going to have a pretty hard time succeeding on the main roster once he gets there permanently. I know he was in there with Kane, Big Show, and Mark Henry; but he looked so average sized. The Ascension have the same problem. They looked like monsters in nxt, then get called up and no longer look imposing. 

I think it's more their attire than anything.  They just look cartoony to me.  Demolition was an LOD ripoff that looked bad ass,  Those guys not so much.

31 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I fucking HATED this show. The most insulting WWE show ever. The only good I can think of is the crowd being hot for Sami, Sami killing KO with a half and half on a ladder,

Man that was a sick bump, and the way KO stayed with his head stuck in the ladder the rest of the way was great. He probably kept it there so he wouldn't get 10 more superkicks from fuck face.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

LOL. Chill. It was long, yeah, but everyone I watched it with was pretty into everything. 

Meltzer seems to be pretty positive,overall, about the show. That seems uncharacteristic of him. 

Who the fuck were you watching this show with?

Also, Meltzer liked Makabe/Ishii, and I have given up on his opinion on pro-wrestling.

25 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I'm going to sleep so I won't be around for the replies, but just wondering if people REALLY wanted to see Shane dive off the top of the cell.  I got the impression the crowd reaction was like "Oh god, we didn't actually need that to happen."

Like I think it would actually have been a better moment if he was standing up there, they somehow show him lock eyes with his kids, and then he thinks better of it and climbs down.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

I agree with this.  The match was plodding and dull and even as decrepit as Taker is, there's still no way Shane should have been getting the best of him that easily.  Was that the first time Hell's Gate has been countered?  I seem to recall it always being a pretty protected move.  The dive just seemed like a vain attempt to salvage something watchable out of the whole debacle.  Problem being is that everyone realizes how nonsensical the booking was going into it and that there's no logical outcome to the match with the stipulations being what they were.  Deciding to have Shane do some insane move to try and make the whole thing memorable didn't come off as daring or exciting, just a desperate attempt to generate a holy shit moment and detract from what a clusterfuck it was.

The preshow matches were ok, but nothing memorable.  The women's match was a lot better than I'd expected, Kalisto (thankfully) retained in a solid but non-outstanding match, and the Usos-Dudleys might as well been on Smackdown.

Opening ladder match was inoffensive with some good spots here and there.  Ryder winning was completely out of left field and probably far too late to really do him much good.  He and Rawley finally had an act with some momentum that would probably do as well as either of them can as far as the ceiling it has, and him winning the title here didn't feel big but more like something as a placeholder.

The New Day's entrance was tremendous and the match was decent.  They seemed to be changing the stipulations on the fly - first it's 4 on 3, then 3 on 3, then maybe or maybe not for the titles.  The LON winning clean was a real surprise.  I'm not opposed to legends guys coming out and getting their shit in, but it did absolutely no one any favors for them to make a team that just cleanly won a match look like chumps.

Jericho/Styles has been booked backwards from the get-go.  This is the 5th match they've had.  Putting them in a short lived team to break up and feud should have been done -before- they ever wrestled eachother, not after.  Even with Jericho's excellent heel work and their in-ring chemistry pretty much everyone is sick of seeing this pairing at this point.  Unless they have Styles start up the Bullet Club tomorrow night, this whole program has gone on way too long.

Women's match was easily the best match of the evening.  This is the best I've seen Charlotte work on the main roster and Becky and Sasha were in top form.  I'm really surprised that Charlotte won (especially with what a big deal Sasha's entrance made her look like), but I guess they're going to do a one on one feud with her and Sasha before she drops the title.

The Brock/Ambrose match was a steaming pile.  It had been discussed here before that Brock is really starting to mail it in, especially after the Wyatt family match on the network, and he really seemed like he couldn't give a shit less here.  Watching him wrestle is like fighting a boss in a video game that just does one move over and over again.  This was an attitude era hardcore match, only even more sanatized and dull and the ending didn't feel special at all.

The battle royale was fun for what it was and had the right amount of inoffensive absurdity to balance out the show.  I'm really shocked Corbin won, especially considering he wasn't announced (that I recall anyways).  Was Henry legit hurt?  He sat out for almost the whole thing, then got tossed pretty quickly when he came back in.  I've never seen anything special in Corbin, so we'll see if he can do anything on the main roster, should he actually be called up.

It wasn't until the Wyatts came out that I realized they hadn't been in the battle Royale.  Given how impotent they've been made to look, allowing them to beat the Rock down would have done a little something to re-establish their credibility, but instead it was almost as if they decided to find a way to make them look as ineffectual as possible.

Main event was about like I expected it to be.  The entrance was just so absurd and over the top that it bordered on self-parody.  I didn't actively hate the match itself and it ended about how I figured it would.  Like most of the rest of the people watching both online and at home, I was just glad it was over.

15 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

My issue was Sasha was there were LONG stretches of that match where she wasn't in it to the point that I thought she was injured.  Lynch probably did more in that match.  I feel like Sasha blew her original top rope plan and just changed it mid-move and in retrospect it looked more badass.

Yeah they left her out for too long in some spots and the match suffered a little. It never got bad or anything, but it was better when Sasha was involved. Becky gave her usual solid performance and Charlotte shines in those big spot fests with her power and athletic ability, but Sasha is just a star. I still don't know how she tucked and flipped at the last second bit it was fucking awesome. This should go a long way in getting the women over for the MR audience.

Just finished the show. I though the pre-show was nice enough with the 10-women tag & Ryback/Kalisto. The ladder match was decent enough. I dug the Ownes vs. Zayn parts, and I liked Ryder getting his moment. Didn't care for New Day vs. LoN. I thought the wrong guys won, and as much as I like Austin/Michaels/Foley I had no real interest in seeing them pop up. Jericho/AJ had some interesting parts, but it just didn't really work as well as their last match and the wrong guy went over. The Women's title match was definitely MOTN, and I liked Charlotte winning. Dean/Brock was fine, just not the crazy match it needed be for WM, especially if Dean wasn't going to win. Shane/Taker wasn't good, but I never expected it to be. It did its job in giving people an insane spot by Shane. The battle royale wasn't good, but it was fun seeing Shaq, and I loved seeing Corbin win it. If I don't get Bray kicking Rock's ass at Summerslam or next year's WM then I have no idea what the point of that segment was. HHH/Roman wasn't good. It was the usual methodical HHH bs. It had some nice points, but would have been better as a straight up brawl. The result was fine, but they really needed to run Roman heel.