DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - APRIL

Dolfan in NYC

And he's only going to get better. He worked on his change up throughout the offseason and as he uses that more this season, he's going to be unstoppable as long as he's healthy.

I don't think this is going to be the last no-hitter he throws this year. He's been an untouchable pitcher since coming on with the Cubs and he only gets better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

And they got him and Strop for Scott Feldman and Steve Clevenger.

Once again, THANKS ORIOLES!

Yes - the trade looks comically bad now but let's not act like Arrieta was good when he was traded

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

And he's only going to get better. He worked on his change up throughout the offseason and as he uses that more this season, he's going to be unstoppable as long as he's healthy.

I don't think this is going to be the last no-hitter he throws this year. He's been an untouchable pitcher since coming on with the Cubs and he only gets better.

How much better could he get, realistically? And while I agree that he'll be mowing guys down left and right for the remainder of this year, let's also consider that he's 30 and in all likelihood, we are watching his absolute peak across these last couple years.

I'm not saying he's going to fall off a cliff, but we might not get the pleasure of watching him do this for a good long extended run had he been allowed to be himself from the age of 24 or 25. Or, on the other hand, maybe he is one of those guys that needed the struggles early on to allow him to develop into the pitcher he is today, and he will just keep on doing it until he's like 35 or older. That would be pretty fucking sweet.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yes - the trade looks comically bad now but let's not act like Arrieta was good when he was traded

The thread about the no-hitter on Baseball Think Factory contains a link to the thread about the trade on the same site.  The first thing that was discussed about the trade was the international cap money that the Cubs were getting to sign Eloy Jiminez and the remainder of the posts were basically about how Strop and Arrieta had stuff but no control so... yeah.  Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

Lester goes tonight for the Cubs and he's got a tough act to follow.  Can he tie Arrieta with his second no-hitter (answer: probably not)?

Their line-up is so unbalanced and their pitching kind of sucks (though Stroman and Sanchez are nice moving forward). I didn't think they'd make the playoffs at the start of the year and while it's not even a month in, I've seen nothing to change my mind.

The Cubs though. Gotdamn.