DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

31 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I wonder what he'll be up to when he's back. Would a Cena/Reigns feud finally be the thing that gets 100% of the crowd behind Cena? 

At this point, isn't booing Cena pretty much the same thing as cheering for him?  Isn't it kind of like, "You know, I really like you, but I feel it is far more socially acceptable for me as a Smarky McSmarkface to show my appreciation through boos"?  Is there really that many people who still think Cena actually sucks?

• Like 5

Sometimes audience members just like it when the people in the ring specifically acknowledge them, and act accordingly. If a random heel starts any sentence with, "You People," he's playing to the crowd but lumping them all together in generic promo #12 so it's not a big deal.

But if top star Cena goes out of his way to address the portion of the audience that boos him, before he talks about his opponent of the month, as opposed to just saying thanks to his fans, then it somehow seems important, somehow justifies the boos, so the audience keeps doing it.

I think they're trying it with Reigns, that whole "I'm The Guy," shtick, but it seems more forced, less Natural than Cena's "aww shucks you can't cheer me" deal, and thus doesn't have the same effect.

Or maybe Smithers was right and they're all just saying Boo-urns cuz they love Monty.

So what will the end result be of a Reigns vs Cena feud? My guess, everyone gets booed, but folks finally find someone to chant for during dueling promos other than CM Punk. Goldberg, Monty Brown, someone with better spear than Roman anyway.

28 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

At this point, isn't booing Cena pretty much the same thing as cheering for him?  Isn't it kind of like, "You know, I really like you, but I feel it is far more socially acceptable for me as a Smarky McSmarkface to show my appreciation through boos"?  Is there really that many people who still think Cena actually sucks?

Yeah, it's more like people chanting "YOU SUCK" to face Kurt Angle's music. A lot of it was affectionate rather than actual heckling. 

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Actually- what's so wrong with that song? Bayley is The Girl Next Door. 

When Bayley is getting stomped out by someone twice her size or choked out by her opponent and is in mortal peril in the ring, creepily singing a love song to her comes off as misguided and out of place at best. Or, you know, Patrick Batemanish at worst. "Bruce Channel was an underrated writer/singer. His recording 'Hey! Baby!' is fondly remembered as a sixties classic and **wipes off bloody knife** is sung by NXT fans to a female wrestler Bayley and did you know that I sometimes crush a tab of Xanax into my bottle of Poland Springs?"

• Like 4

I'll be called out as a "SJW" or whatever, and I'm probably overthinking it, but it's shitty to sing a song to a female athlete that reduces her to just "somebody who I'd like to date."  Is that supposed to be flattering?  It's gross.  As I said, it's marginally better than a girl holding up a sign begging Finn Balor to fuck her face, but just marginally.

• Like 6

Like, I'm not standing against people who want to get their faces fucked or who want to date Bayley, but I don't think chanting your love for someone in the middle of a match where the (worked) object is to win an athletic contest, not to be the cutest, most dateable-est wrestler, is really the place to do it. 

The Finn thing is desperate, but I'd at least assume that Finn-sign-holder actually also enjoys his wrestling and doesn't chant raunchy  songs about having sex with him as a way to inspire him to make a comeback when he's selling. 

• Like 2

What's amusing is the amount of hand wringing and yelling similar chants would be getting if they were directed at the other women on the roster and not putting attention on the favorite, adorable, overrated girl next door.

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am amused at the person with the women drooling over Ric Rude signature complaining about wrestling fans doing creepy things

Fair point, but she was just enjoying a view of the sexiest man alive, not chanting at him for sexual favors while Warrior beat the shit out of him. 

The line between "creepy" and "endearing" is pretty thin, though, I admit. 

Rick Rude lady is somehow both creepy and endearing. 

It's possible to say that Bayley is an attractive woman, be a fan of hers in the wrestling ring, and also not objectify her. "I want you to overcome this villain because you are a plucky babyface and I enjoy your wrestling" is totally different than "I want you to win because you're hot and I want to bang you"

• Like 2

But the argument is that, yes, in fact, singing "Won't you be my girl" to her while she's getting her ass kicked, or singing a variation of "Hey we want some pussy"  is objectifying her.

21 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

What's amusing is the amount of hand wringing and yelling similar chants would be getting if they were directed at the other women on the roster and not putting attention on the favorite, adorable, overrated girl next door.

I'd personally be skeeved out by it regardless; I'm not a Bayley fan and that's not where my argument came from.

5 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

It's possible to say that Bayley is an attractive woman, be a fan of hers in the wrestling ring, and also not objectify her. "I want you to overcome this villain because you are a plucky babyface and I enjoy your wrestling" is totally different than "I want you to win because you're hot and I want to bang you"

My point exactly. 

12 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Fair point, but she was just enjoying a view of the sexiest man alive, not chanting at him for sexual favors while Warrior beat the shit out of him. 

The line between "creepy" and "endearing" is pretty thin, though, I admit. 

Well, it's not in real life but this is the internet where the white id runs wild, so I guess.

I just want to shout-out that Savage/Wonderful match posted last page. It really is a sub-10 minute classic (I think with the entrances it's under 10 anyway). They don't even work a rest hold until the 8 minute mark of the video and even then I think that's the only one. There is more heat in the opening segment than entire feuds today and this was just a throwaway Sat night main.

It's nice to see two pros just do their thing. Very little wasted movement and the silly selling by Wonderful is such good old school heel stooging. Really cool match!

6 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Rick Rude lady is somehow both creepy and endearing. 

I think it's that '80s hairstyle. Even Rick Rude's sexiest man alive status is damaged by that fucking perm.

Rick Rude lady is reacting in the way that Rick Rude is trying to get her to react, by the way, which I think is another important point. Bayley selling a death choke from Asuka or something isn't trying to elicit a "please date me" reaction. 

• Like 1

That's another good point actually. Part of Rude's gimmick is to get all those Carolina sweathogs jealous that their wives and girlfriends are fawning over him. Finn or Bayley are just wrestlers who do wrestling and have quirky personalities. Finn puts on the face paint he's not trying to elicit a sexual response from women in the audience, unless I guess you run in the Spider-Man cosplay deviant art circles or whatever and that's your thing. 

32 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

That's another good point actually. Part of Rude's gimmick is to get all those Carolina sweathogs jealous that their wives and girlfriends are fawning over him. Finn or Bayley are just wrestlers who do wrestling and have quirky personalities. Finn puts on the face paint he's not trying to elicit a sexual response from women in the audience, unless I guess you run in the Spider-Man cosplay deviant art circles or whatever and that's your thing. 

I feel like the crossover between Spider-Man cosplay deviant art circles and NXT fandom is probably bigger than any of us are comfortable with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zev said:

But if top star Cena goes out of his way to address the portion of the audience that boos him, before he talks about his opponent of the month, as opposed to just saying thanks to his fans, then it somehow seems important, somehow justifies the boos, so the audience keeps doing it.

I think they're trying it with Reigns, that whole "I'm The Guy," shtick, but it seems more forced, less Natural than Cena's "aww shucks you can't cheer me" deal, and thus doesn't have the same effect.

Roman's thing is different.  When Cena acknowledges the crowd, there's a wink and nudge that comes from having been in a relationship for years. A strange friendship to be sure, but a friendship just the same.

Roman is being aloof, distancing himself from the unwashed masses.  He hasn't known them as long and has no reason to embrace them at this point.  They don't like him?  Who says HE likes THEM?  There's no love lost on either side and Reigns feels no need to indulge them right now.  And he may never feel the need to do so.  Reigns isn't as gee-willikers as Cena.  I can see the frostiness continuing for a while.

• Like 2

With Roman's "I'm THE guy" schtick, it feels more like someone in a sitcom following the advice to play hard to get. It's so hokey and transparent. He's literally just going out there and shouting "I'M A TWEENER GUYS! C'MON? GUYS?"

24 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

I feel like the crossover between Spider-Man cosplay deviant art circles and NXT fandom is probably bigger than any of us are comfortable with.

Should Blue Pants return to NXT, I think this will somehow be incorporated into her gimmick.