DVDVR Message Board

All-Purpose Health and Fitness Thread

Super Ape

• 3 weeks later...

The good news: I've been working out and eating well since November and have lost a good deal of weight.  I haven't talked about it much or given a lot of detail because I don't want to jinx it.

The gross news: I sharted during mile two of a five-mile outdoor run this morning.  I coughed and farted at the same time and thought, "man, that fart was warm.  Oh well!"  Luckily, it didn't run down my leg and I didn't even notice until I showered.  It was like Psycho, only brown instead of red.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The good news: I've been working out and eating well since November and have lost a good deal of weight.  I haven't talked about it much or given a lot of detail because I don't want to jinx it.

The gross news: I sharted during mile two of a five-mile outdoor run this morning.  I coughed and farted at the same time and thought, "man, that fart was warm.  Oh well!"  Luckily, it didn't run down my leg and I didn't even notice until I showered.  It was like Psycho, only brown instead of red.

Having to play "Solid, Liquid, or Gas" during a run is always the worst.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 11:15 AM, offspring515 said:

So I’ve decided to start a vlog detailing my battle with obesity. If you’d like give it a watch and feel free to share it if you wanna do me a solid. Thanks!

A Quarter Ton of Fun

Awesome!!!!  Good luck, buddy. 

In fitness news, I set out for my normal five miles and change run this morning and started screwing with my normal route, like "let's just go this way instead, etc" and later, when I went to handy dandy mapometer.com, realized I'd run 6.4 miles.  What's funny is I kept seeing signs for a 10K happening in the area this weekend.  And I just accidentally ran a 10K.

Shopping for workout shorts at Dick's, I noticed some cool Adidas running shorts on the rack, but they had no XXL.  So it's one of the following:

1. They don't think XXL dudes run
  2. They only got like one pair in stock and it sold
  3. They got a lot in stock and they all sold, and there's some "dudes of size" running club around here just rumbling down the fucking street scaring everyone

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

That's fairly similar to women's workout gear, at least if I don't go to a manufacturer outlet. All the clothes with fun patterns cap out at a large. My thighs are too thick for that.

Also, I'd greatly appreciate compression leggings that were made for women taller than 5'6". Most compression leggings become capris on me.

25 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Also, I'd greatly appreciate compression leggings that were made for women taller than 5'6". Most compression leggings become capris on me.

Is there a difference between men's compression pants and women's?  That's a route you may want to take.  When I was attempting to run last summer, I bought some compression pants and I have legs like a running back.  

I'm so fucking lazy, but I really need to get into the gym and working out.  During the winter, when I was wearing layers I didn't realize that almost all of my dress shirts are too tight.  I need to figure out a routine that will keep me motivated.  

17 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Is there a difference between men's compression pants and women's?  That's a route you may want to take.  When I was attempting to run last summer, I bought some compression pants and I have legs like a running back.  

They are cut differently. Men's tights would run too long for me. Women's tights tend to stop around a 28 inch inseam, men's tights can go as high as 33 inches in my size. My inseam is 31 inches, so I'm basically in the sweet spot of weird body types that don't work for anything.

Also, from an aesthetics standpoint, I'd prefer more fun colors and patterns rather than just black. Most men's compression gear I've seen in stores is black, or black with a red stripe. Compare these tights meant for women to these tights meant for men. I know this is a pretty minor thing, but I like making going to the gym fun, and that includes how I dress. Color is very important to me. ?

• 4 weeks later...

So I run 5+ miles every day before work, around the neighborhoods, streets, etc near my job.  In the parking lot, I sometimes see this new guy who I don't really know as I'm finishing my run.  Today, he saw me later in the office and gave me a fist bump, saying "DOOD YOU'RE A STUD DOOD!  I SEE YOU OUT 'DERE GETTIN IT!"

• Like 2

I've really been focusing on yoga the last few weeks, and I'm finally getting more complicated poses down. The addition of weightlifting outside of yoga really helped with my shoulder strength, which means I've finally been able to do firefly and shoulder pressing poses. I also finally got the dancer pose down, although that was more of a balance issue for me.

Is anyone still doing DDP Yoga? I've been super not into the gym for the last year and my general fitness has suffered greatly for it.

Picked up the basic dvd set, but haven't gotten too deep into it yet. DDP is a hell of a host, but its the kind of exercise I'm not used to (I've pretty much kept to the elliptical and resistance machines). While the poses aren't hard, I have trouble with the transitioning between them. My bendiness is in a sad state right now.

32 minutes ago, elizium said:

Is anyone still doing DDP Yoga? I've been super not into the gym for the last year and my general fitness has suffered greatly for it.

Picked up the basic dvd set, but haven't gotten too deep into it yet. DDP is a hell of a host, but its the kind of exercise I'm not used to (I've pretty much kept to the elliptical and resistance machines). While the poses aren't hard, I have trouble with the transitioning between them. My bendiness is in a sad state right now.

You might fare better by focusing on doing sets of poses at your own pace until you're comfortable than starting directly with a yoga program that transitions into different poses relatively quickly. I'd recommend basic poses like cow, cat, cobra, bridge, and downward-facing dog as ones to start with, since they are ground poses and you'll have less risk for injury. Once you get comfortable with those, standing poses like the standing forward and standing half-forward bends should be next. I'd recommend taking a look at Yoga Journal for some good starter poses like the ones I mentioned.

I assume DDP Yoga has a beginners pose program that slows things down so you can get comfortable with poses. That might be worth checking out in your set as well. I'm not familiar with DDP's program admittedly, but most yoga programs try to speed you through sets in 25-30 minutes. With sets of poses you can break it up into little chunks throughout the day.

7 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

You might fare better by focusing on doing sets of poses at your own pace until you're comfortable than starting directly with a yoga program that transitions into different poses relatively quickly. I'd recommend basic poses like cow, cat, cobra, bridge, and downward-facing dog as ones to start with, since they are ground poses and you'll have less risk for injury. Once you get comfortable with those, standing poses like the standing forward and standing half-forward bends should be next. I'd recommend taking a look at Yoga Journal for some good starter poses like the ones I mentioned.

I assume DDP Yoga has a beginners pose program that slows things down so you can get comfortable with poses. That might be worth checking out in your set as well. I'm not familiar with DDP's program admittedly, but most yoga programs try to speed you through sets in 25-30 minutes. With sets of poses you can break it up into little chunks throughout the day.

I need to dig up the DVDs since it's been awhile.  But the first video he has does break down the individual poses (I think he called them the Diamond Dozen)  It did give me a good feel for the individual poses without the quick transitions.  The first couple routines did have the quick transitions but I had no issue just pausing the damn thing until I was ready to move on.  I've heard great things about the app but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.  I have heard though that it does have easier to get into routines but not sure about the quick transition part of it.  But reading his latest book does have me wanting to try these again so we'll see what happens.  I will say though I do like the link with the starter poses, may be best for me to give them a shot first.

While I still have a long ways to go I have been spending the past month going to the gym at least two or three times a week.  I used to do strictly weight training but have started to get back into cardio.  I'm to the point where there's actual progress with certain exercises and I generally feel pretty good.  What helps is that my work opened up a gym that not too shabby.  I am not one for showering in gyms so I mainly use it to try a set of slightly higher weights to see if I can do it.  The biggest killer for me is what I eat but I'm trying to not be as dumb with my choices.

10 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I need to dig up the DVDs since it's been awhile.  But the first video he has does break down the individual poses (I think he called them the Diamond Dozen)  It did give me a good feel for the individual poses without the quick transitions.  The first couple routines did have the quick transitions but I had no issue just pausing the damn thing until I was ready to move on.  I've heard great things about the app but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.  I have heard though that it does have easier to get into routines but not sure about the quick transition part of it.  But reading his latest book does have me wanting to try these again so we'll see what happens.  I will say though I do like the link with the starter poses, may be best for me to give them a shot first.

Ah, that's good! I don't follow any specific programs since I like mixing up my own programs. I've seen some programs that don't do introductory routines while starting, and usually that just leads to frustration. That's why I recommend the basic stuff as a starter until you get comfortable. I also recommend doing that with more complicated poses as you reach them in your program, especially when you start getting into handstand poses or balance poses (feathered peacock pose is a PAIN to learn at first).

Tonight I managed to (I think) strain a muscle in my neck.

While using the elliptical trainer.

Getting old is a pain in the ass. Or the neck. You know, whichever.

Edited by Gonzo
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Tonight I managed to (I think) strain a muscle in my neck.

While using the elliptical trainer.

Getting old is a pain in the ass. Or the neck. You know, whichever.

Like Wu Tang says, protect your neck, brother.  Especially as you get older.  I herniated a disk in my neck 2-3 years ago doing lat pulldowns.  And I was doing proper "pull down to your chest" style, not "pull behind your head."  You believe that shit?  The doctor explained to me that you should never go too heavy/strain really hard on anything where you're reaching over your head.  That's what I was doing, going really heavy and pulling down when I felt something pop.

I need to write some short guide to working out as you get older.  Shit, my left shoulder hurts on bench press and flys and I'm afraid to even find out what that is.

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Like Wu Tang says, protect your neck, brother.  Especially as you get older.  I herniated a disk in my neck 2-3 years ago doing lat pulldowns.  And I was doing proper "pull down to your chest" style, not "pull behind your head."  You believe that shit?  The doctor explained to me that you should never go too heavy/strain really hard on anything where you're reaching over your head.  That's what I was doing, going really heavy and pulling down when I felt something pop.

I need to write some short guide to working out as you get older.  Shit, my left shoulder hurts on bench press and flys and I'm afraid to even find out what that is.

The sad part is that it wasn't even the actual exercising that did it.

There I was, going along with no problems and the sweat starts dripping in my eyes, so I'm gonna use my shirt sleeve to wipe it off. Had already done so a couple of times prior.

Lift my left arm up, move my head to the left to wipe off the sweat, and OW FUCK DAMN IT THAT HURTS. Felt like someone stabbed me right where my neck meets my right shoulder.

Got through the rest of my workout (though I cut myself off at 30 minutes rather than the 40 I was going to do), but it felt crappy for a while. Put some Blue Emu on it before I went to bed last night and this morning it feels a whole lot better.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of months ago I pulled something in my back while spotting a guy on the incline bench press and helping him re-rack. I didn't even know such a thing was possible. Getting old is the worst.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/9/2019 at 8:54 PM, Petey said:

A couple of months ago I pulled something in my back while spotting a guy on the incline bench press and helping him re-rack. I didn't even know such a thing was possible. Getting old is the worst.

I know what you mean.  Three weeks ago I stood up from the kitchen table and nearly fell on the floor because something in my back locked up.  I spent most of last week wearing lidocaine patches because I pulled a muscle in my back mowing the yard.  Then Saturday night I made the mistake of thinking I could sleep in bed instead of my recliner(where I sleep when my back bothers me).  When I woke up Sunday morning I ended up crawling the fifteen feet from the bedroom to my recliner and spent Sunday and Monday in the recliner with the heating pad on my back.  I turn 40 a week from next Monday.

2 hours ago, gatling said:

I know what you mean.  Three weeks ago I stood up from the kitchen table and nearly fell on the floor because something in my back locked up.  I spent most of last week wearing lidocaine patches because I pulled a muscle in my back mowing the yard.  Then Saturday night I made the mistake of thinking I could sleep in bed instead of my recliner(where I sleep when my back bothers me).  When I woke up Sunday morning I ended up crawling the fifteen feet from the bedroom to my recliner and spent Sunday and Monday in the recliner with the heating pad on my back.  I turn 40 a week from next Monday.

I replaced 2 light fixtures and that hour or so on that ladder with my head at an awkward angle made my neck lock up.  I had maybe 5% mobility in my neck for the next week or so, and have been going to the chiropractor twice a week ever since.  My spine in my neck is too straight, and when it locks up it is extremely painful and pretty much restricts all mobility.  It had been about 2 years since I've had any issue with it, but it's something that will be an issue for the rest of my life.  I'll be 38 on the 30th.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I pulled my calf muscle last week. I'm glad I took the time to rest it but I was starting to go a little stir crazy around day three of rest. I don't like staying stationary that long.

On 5/24/2019 at 2:39 PM, Technico Support said:

Yep, the worst muscle pulls come from the dumbest shit.

We need a Kevin Mitchell Award for the dumbest shit causing a muscle pull. For the young 'uns that may not recall, Mitchell was a feared slugger for the San Francisco Giants hitting 47 dingers back when that meant something. Arriving to the Seattle Mariners he distinguished himself by pulling his rib cage throwing up in the dugout while being hung over. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I pulled my calf muscle last week. I'm glad I took the time to rest it but I was starting to go a little stir crazy around day three of rest. I don't like staying stationary that long.

Did you get it checked?  I'm nursing a calf strain, and the doctor told me to not even try to run for 4-6 weeks.  There was a lot of talk about some dude named Kevin Something-or-other and how if your calf ins't strong enough your Achilles may try to compensate and your recover goes from sitting on the couch for a couple weeks to having surgery and months of rehab.