DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Dallas.

The Natural

I got home at 2am, popped on Takeover figuring I'd fall asleep a couple matches in and now it's 5am and I'm fucking wide awake after watching that.  What a show.

• Like 4

Oh I guess I will mention this here for those that didn't know/hear

Nakamura's Bomaye is now called the Kinshasa

Bomaye came as a tribute to Muhammed Ali from the Rumble in the Jungle (vs. George Foreman. Crowd chanted "Ali Bomaye!" which basically means Ali kill him)

The Rumble in the Jungle was held in.... Kinshasa, Zaire

• Like 9

8 hours ago, steve said:

He didn't get the chainsaw reference.

I really wouldn't expect him to. You could have Gunnar Hansen and R.A. Mahailoff as a tagteam carrying chainsaws and he'd probably start babbling about lumberjack tag-teams. Actually, expecting Alvarez to know about Lumberjack Luke and Lumberjack Bob Beasley is probably a stretch... I think the best we could hope for is a "Chainsaw Charlie" reference,,.

Does Bayley not need to tighten her shit up? It's a glaring weakness. Thankfully there's plenty of time for her. Both her and Balor are announced for the May house shows in the north west. 

The AA/Revival tag match was a fantastic opener with an emotional ending. Jordan losing it in the ring brought the feels. He had a long journey to get to the top and now he's there. AA are so damn good. And The Revival are right there, too. They brought the great old school heeling. This was a great classic style tag match with the heel champs getting outclassed in the opening minutes and only gaining advantage by cheating, then only keeping advantage by cheating. Great tag cutoff spot with Dash coming from under the ring. One botch by The Revival, but did not bring the match as a whole down.

The Aries/Corbin match was OK and I was surprised with the ending flash roll-up pin with Aries winning. The size difference between the two was also surprising to me. I know Aries isn't the biggest dude, but being in there with Corbin really showed how small he is and how big Corbin is. I dig Corbin's indy-crusher gimmick and hope that he gets his win back in their eventual rematch.

Sami/Nak was flat out amazing. I have never seen a Nakamura match. This was my introduction to him. I'm all in if he brings this intensity to every one of his matches. I'm not sure what else can be said that hasn't already. Just amazing. MOTY so far and nothing on Mania has close to a chance of touching this.

Asuka/Bayley had to follow it. This was good-not-great. Definitely not the caliber of the Sasha/Bayley matches, but still good. Correctly booked ending if Bayley had to lose. So now what with Bayley? What can she do on the main roster? Somebody else mentioned that Becky is basically doing her gimmick on the main shows, so where does Bayley fit in? On the flip side, if Bayley leaves NXT, where does that leave Asuka and the entire Women's division in NXT? Asuka has gone through everybody there, now. None of the recent women are ready for Asuka yet. Losing Bayley now would kill the Women's division in NXT for a few months until the next crop of girls are ready. Keep Bayley in NXT and give us the rematch at least. Keep Bayley off of RAW until the end of summer. She's needed too badly in NXT and the main roster isn't dying for another woman in their already pretty stacked division.

I was underwhelmed with the Joe/Finn match from London. I've honestly been pretty underwhelmed by both Joe and Finn in NXT as a whole, feeling they haven't lived up to their hype. Joe definitely brought it in this match, though. He was a killer and was cutting off Finn left and right. The blood added way more intensity, and I thought the stoppages worked for the first two or three. The last one was too much and I'm glad it didn't keep going after that one. Wrong man won here and the ending was anti-climactic. However, I can see this win leading to an overly cocky, heel-turned Finn Balor as "unbeatable" NXT Champion and bringing in the Balor Club as his backup from here, so it could serve a purpose. But still, yeah, unless Joe is getting called up, he should have won here.

Overall, a fantastic show that Mania has no chance of beating on any level and my favorite top to bottom show in a very long time. NXT is so good.

16 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Nothin is more amusing to me then people whining over March Madness instead of enjoying a kickass match.

You're the only one who isn't over it, bud.  I might have to put you on ignore.  The rest of us keep it in March.  Your favorites are not beyond criticism.  

I still need to watch the main event, but the women's match was definitely the worst of the bunch so far.  It stands out because it's usually one of the best,  but this card is so stacked.  

My main loves so far are the Corbin control segment and the entire finishing sequence to Zayn/Nak.

Aside from the horrible false finish botch, the tag title match was outstanding - and we got to see JR AND KOTA IBUSHI after it! Yeah boy is 2016 going to be interesting. Nakamura vs. Sami was one of the best matches of the year so far - and better than Nakamura-AJ at WK 10. They have perfectly nailed his theme and while it's not quite as great as "Subconscious", it's 99% as good. Bayley vs. Asuka was nearly perfect and they found a way to give Asuka a dominant win without really hurting Bayley. Finally, Joe vs. Finn was a crazy war to start - and while it did die out a bit at the end, they still delivered a memorable match. Excellent night of action, with Nakamura vs. Sami easily winning match of the night honors.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2016/04/nxt-takeover-dallas-live-coverage.html

Screens - 

725baa475340561.jpg

cc8efb475340565.jpg

e6874c475343075.jpg

ba099f475343104.jpg

ba8041475345153.jpg

7ff6c3475347171.jpg

76a0c6475347176.jpg

7fad4d475347191.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/06y026p47ff2yco8l3urla2rjvn3g1gg

Zayn's really convincing Foley crumples whenever he's selling head damage are something else. I've been worked into thinking he's actually KO'd a few times. 

I had to watch Bayley/Askua about an hour after I watched Nak/Zayn, and I'm glad I had some distance between the two. If they didn't want Samson/Crews on the show, they should have at least put some sort of in ring angle or segment in there to seperate those matches some more. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh I guess I will mention this here for those that didn't know/hear

Nakamura's Bomaye is now called the Kinshasa

Bomaye came as a tribute to Muhammed Ali from the Rumble in the Jungle (vs. George Foreman. Crowd chanted "Ali Bomaye!" which basically means Ali kill him)

The Rumble in the Jungle was held in.... Kinshasa, Zaire

There are people that did not notice the Ali references to Nak's finisher?  Either I am old or people don't watch enough boxing..  Maybe both..

Kota Ibushi was spotted in the crowd.  YES~!

12 minutes ago, Jrag said:

Will do.  The rest of us are here to talk wrestling and not on some "just shut up and enjoy what I enjoy" nonsense.

Will you also be taking back handed shots at other fans in your wrestling talk, or is that just reserved for cases were you are trying to prove a point of some sort?

Oh, shit, btw, anyone else notice that Jordans dropkick in the opener was almost at Okada's level? Looked fantastic.

Edited by El Dragon
Remembered something I kept forgetting to post.

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

There are people that did not notice the Ali references to Nak's finisher?  Either I am old or people don't watch enough boxing..  Maybe both..

We are old

Rumble in the Jungle was a long fucking time ago

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

We are old

Rumble in the Jungle was a long fucking time ago

No pathetic excuses.

They sighted Kota Ibushi in the crowd apparently along with Bobby Roode.  I hope Ibushi gets the chance to wrestle in NXT before his knees explode.  He already works matches like he really wants to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair.

The logical guy to bring into NXT to work with Kota is probably Kenny Omega, but that would pretty much hose the Bullet Club.

Jordan's dropkick is always great but last night's was a whole new level. The emotion in that post-match video was really touching. It's been a long journey for him but he's now well on his way.