DVDVR Message Board

The MST3K Thread

Ellsworth Toohey

They’re at $1,828,000/$2,000,000 right now. If they make up the rest in the next three hours, I think that’ll mean they reached their first goal in 24 hours. Might not quite make it, but certainly by the end of the day.

31 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

I was a massive MST3K fan back in the day but I couldn't get into the reboot, it came off as a cosplay or a band with no original members to me.

From what I've read, a lot of people felt that way.  I've seen all of the Return episodes, courtesy of them airing early mornings on IFC and thought they were ok.  Jonah Ray seemed to be trying too hard, but the other cast members were ok.

Was the reboot not funny?  I thought it was about the same as the earlier iteration, but MST3K is a weird one for me.  Objectively, I regard it as quality comedy because that seems to be the general consensus.  But I've probably seen at least 60-70 eps. of the original run over the years and none of them have ever done anything for me personally.  I've been watching eps on AMC+ lately thinking it might eventually click for me, but no such luck.  I'm kind of mystified by the popularity, to be honest.  In this instance, at least, I appear to be really out of step with pop culture.  

Edited by Eoae

I think it was perfect for the zeitgeist of the mid to late 90s, when there was so much metatext and self referentiality in pop culture. (Trust me on this, as I knee deep in this stuff in grad school)

I also think the quality of the show dismissed with most every cast change (except Frank replacing Josh). There’s a noticeable tonal shift when Joel leaves and, for me, really lost a lot when Trace leaves. 

• Like 1

Some of the pledge tiers are truly insane... like $7,500, $25K and $30K. Even crazier, those are just the ones that sold out. Oh, to be rich and desire an executive producer credit...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This time around, they should avoid getting into bed with a Netflix type partner. Just release the content yourselves. They clearly have a loyal audience and following of people who want to see this content and will pay to watch it.

27 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

This time around, they should avoid getting into bed with a Netflix type partner. Just release the content yourselves. They clearly have a loyal audience and following of people who want to see this content and will pay to watch it.

That is, indeed, the stated plan. They are looking to build their own platform.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 4:02 PM, odessasteps said:

I think it was perfect for the zeitgeist of the mid to late 90s, when there was so much metatext and self referentiality in pop culture. (Trust me on this, as I knee deep in this stuff in grad school)

I also think the quality of the show dismissed with most every cast change (except Frank replacing Josh). There’s a noticeable tonal shift when Joel leaves and, for me, really lost a lot when Trace leaves. 

Well hey, you might get your wish: there will be both a new riffer (Emily from the live tour) sharing hosting duties with Jonah, and the possibility of two new Joel episodes.

Live streaM right now introducing the new cast and watching HOBGOBLINS. Which Joel has never seen before. It’s hilarious to watch him comment on Mike and Co.’s riffs.

Apparently announcing some of the season 13 titles this week (or next).

Mary Jo Pehl will be jointing a livestream of Quest for the Delta Knights on Thursday (or possibly Friday).

Edited by Control

https://t.co/xhrZFz7Nq2

Interview with Joel about the Kickstarter, the Gizmoplex, and season 13.

EDIT: I’ll just update this post

Upcoming live event schedule:

Thursday April 29: UNTAMED YOUTH with J. Elvis

Friday April 30: QUEST OF THE DELTA KNIGHTS  with Mary Jo

Saturday May 1 2:30 Eastern: GAMERA VS GUIRON + reveal of first new movies 

Sunday May 2 2:30 Eastern: TBA + reveal of final bonus challenges

Tuesday May 4: TBA w/Special guest and announcements

Monday, May 3: The MST3K Jackbox Showdown! (Team Jonah vs Team Emily)

Friday, May 7: The Final Countdown Telethon: The Sequel!

Edited by Control

On 4/6/2021 at 5:24 PM, odessasteps said:

Let me know when there's a new cast. 

There's a new cast. The road show cast is going to be the new on-screen cast. Emily Marsh will be the new host. Connor McGiffin will be Servo, Nate Begle will be Crow, and Yvonne Freese will be GPC and the newish mad, Mega-Synthia (a clone of Pearl Forrester combined with Synthia, who herself was a botched clone of Pearl made to keep Kinga company.)

Edited by Ace

Livestream schedule

E0KVVFyXEAADbqn?format=jpg&name=medium

if they can reach 3.8 million by the end of the weekend, they’ll riff a 3D film and send backers free 3D glasses.

EDIT: UNTAMED YOUTH has 4 Servos (Weinstein, Vaughn, that new guy, and the road guy).

EDIT 2: J. Elvis Weinstein confirmed as a writer for season 13.

Edited by Control

7 minutes ago, Control said:

If you happen to have $400 to spare, you can now buy a download package  of 130 classic episodes in best possible quality.

It wouldn't be the same watching the KTMA episodes in Crystal clear quality. 

• Like 1