DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] Sweet 16: BROCK LESNAR vs. RICOCHET

RIPPA

MM16: BROCK LESNAR vs. RICOCHET  

112 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I voted against Brock last time and right after saw the gif of him F5ing Michael Cole. Remember how much joy that gave us all? Ricochet is great and all but he's not even in my top 8 in Lucha Underground let alone the world.

Now I'm curious because the lowest possibility is four behind Pentagon, Fenix and Mil. What five could be ahead of Puma?

You can write both off as highspot guys if you want.  It's just that Brock's highspots are 300 suplexes while Ricochet's are aerial moves.  But Ricochet has been integrating more ground-based stuff into his matches...he's been using the 630 less and the fire driver or whatever it's called, and the Benadryller, more.  But anyway, for me it comes down to which guy I'd like to watch more and that's Ricochet.  It's close, though.

I voted against Brock last time and right after saw the gif of him F5ing Michael Cole. Remember how much joy that gave us all? Ricochet is great and all but he's not even in my top 8 in Lucha Underground let alone the world.

Now I'm curious because the lowest possibility is four behind Pentagon, Fenix and Mil. What five could be ahead of Puma?
Cuerno, Mack, el Patron, Cage, and Jack Evans. And before you jump all over me, I am perfectly willing to admit that Ricochet may be better than them in some aspects, but in the context of LU I feel like all those guys fit their rolls far better.

Cuerno, Mack, el Patron, Cage, and Jack Evans. And before you jump all over me, I am perfectly willing to admit that Ricochet may be better than them in some aspects, but in the context of LU I feel like all those guys fit their rolls far better.

I'm suddenly imagining Jack Evans doing flips from the top rope while dressed as a hot dog bun.

• Like 1

I absolutely will not jump all over you. I was genuinely curious. I will simply state, outside of Cuerno (whom I forgot), I disagree.

• Like 1

I absolutely will not jump all over you. I was genuinely curious. I will simply state, outside of Cuerno (whom I forgot), I disagree.

Yeah, I'd put Puma number 3 at most. Mack, Cage and el Patron, and Jack Evans? Naw.

tumblr_n5s0xxKRtf1sbzhteo1_400.gif

How are you voting against this guy? 

After seeing Michael Elgin do the worm, he's not even the best dancer in that gif.

I feel like it's coming off that I don't like Ricochet. I do, I really do, I just think Brock is better. And as a LU character he's kind of flat.

I would like to vote for mayhem causing, bleeding all the time, wrestler tossing bull of the woods with the world's only great manager at the moment, but I like underdogs. And I really like Lucha Underground. I'm going with Ricochet. 

Plus I just realized that move above was a springboard SSP and remember Brock's SSP. 

After seeing Michael Elgin do the worm, he's not even the best dancer in that gif.

I feel like it's coming off that I don't like Ricochet. I do, I really do, I just think Brock is better. And as a LU character he's kind of flat.

Prince Puma's character is supposed to be flat. He is the embodiment of Lucha Underground's appeal to tradition what with him being a descendent of one of the ancient Aztec tribes in they are chasing a belt made out of cursed Aztec gold. His role is more symbolic and plot driven than character driven. His role is to be the vessel for the audience to get behind without knowing too much of the plot and it is easy for them because Puma is not involved in the Ancient Aztec stuff or at least from "Mexico", he does not have much involvement with Dario Cuerto and is not a direct opponent to his schemes(Dario's more obsessed with corrupting Faces and Puma being a more neutral character than an outright goody two-shoes, I guess he does not really care), and is not really fighting the "Darkness" of Lucha Underground. His goal is simple: he wants to be the best and be champion outside of a Mil Muertes who wants to commit as much violence as possible and a Catrina who seems to be more powerful when she around Aztec gold. Even his feuds are not as mythic compared to a Fenix vs Mil Muertes instead of more symbolic in wrestling terms. His feud of Cage was supposed to reflect two vastly different sides of wrestling, WWE big man land vs Luchadore style of wrestling. A flat character is not necessary a bad thing in wrestling since we do have Sami Zayn's and Daniel Bryan's in wrestling who are less surreal and larger than life. Prince Puma serves that role in Lucha Underground while reflecting the moral ambiguity of the promotion as even he had Konnan's interference to win most of his matches. Sometimes it is good to have the Narrator in order to make Tyler Durden look more dynamic or it is good to have Steve Rogers to make everyone else more dynamic. 

He is the ace in which is apparent when you just look at him and what he can do in and just outside of the ring. In a WWE ring, Prince puma would be in the same position as Adrian Neville as the spot monkey, but Prince Puma being one of the top faces involved in so much of the plot around Lucha Underground evokes that the promotion is completely different from the mainstream. 

• Like 2

That's a pretty good dissection of the promotion. I'm trying to think of the closest parallel to another wrestler and I'm coming up with Misawa -- bland, impersonal, yet still charismatic in a physical way and certainly having the skills to pay the bills. If they ever come up with a Kawada I'll start throwing them money. Oh wait...

e87c5fe8b661851f715cf27fd85e9aeb.jpg