DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

I agree with that Hooker... the Hero/Misawa thing was just something that popped in my head. 

Like, another example, when "Sin Cara" debuted, they should have actually shown the press conference they held in Mexico when they announced it, as well as showing pics and any video footage they could get with him holding all the different belts in massive arenas - even if they had to use pics from magazines.  Really get over the fact that he was a main event player all over the world. 

I agree with that Hooker... the Hero/Misawa thing was just something that popped in my head. 

Like, another example, when "Sin Cara" debuted, they should have actually shown the press conference they held in Mexico when they announced it, as well as showing pics and any video footage they could get with him holding all the different belts in massive arenas - even if they had to use pics from magazines.  Really get over the fact that he was a main event player all over the world. 

That is perhaps the worst example to use in a "WWE should treat people outside the WWE world as real superstars".

- Hulk Hogan has reportedly been upset with TNA as of late. This is said to be due to the way that TNA handled Brooke Hogan's departure. Hulk felt that TNA should have informed him first and allowed him to handle it, but TNA made the choice to release her without giving him notice. Other reports note that it is around this time that communication between Dixie Carter and Hogan was breaking down. Last week's Impact taping in Cincinnati was reportedly the first time in a while that Hogan, Carter and Erick Bischoff were in the same place together. It was reported earlier that Hulk Hogan's TNA contract is up on October 1st.Credit: Pwinsider.com via wreslezone.com

I think the story was that he was asked to take a paycut (he's getting something ridiculous like $35,000 a show) and wasn't too happy. Throw in that he's been paid late and he may really be done with them soon.

Yes, you do... and when you leave. 

I would say that the drama around this is waaaaaaaay overblown, but apparently some folks do get their panties in a bunch about it in the WWE, so I guess it really important. 

On the indies, the degree of this varies by region. I have been to some places where workers only shake workers hands, but I have been other places where you shake hands with workers, crew, wives, etc.  Most places you just walk in, make the rounds and shake hands with everyone already there, and then take a seat and guys that come in later approach you.  I have been places and heard stories though where the top dogs expect you to come find them (and in turn, they then "big time" you and act like you are bothering them).

I can't imagine a guy like Harley Race going around shaking everyone's hand fifty goddamn times. 

As an amusing anecdote, Mr. Nick Bockwinkel will walk into the general lockerroom, even if he has his own dressing room, and not only shake everyone's hand, he introduces himself to each and every individual and asks their (often) gobsmacked names. The man is a super class act, and defines not only the honorific of "world champion" but he IS his gimmick. I have seen him treat the lowliest of indy scum workers (myself included) as you would think he would treat a seasoned veteran of ring and road.

honored, RAF

• Like 10

I really don't understand the point of WWE acknowledging other wrestling.  WWE pretty much is wrestling.  It would be like the NFL acknowledging the CFL or Arena Football as equals (The NCAA analogy doesn't really fit, to me, because the NCAA is basically a feeder to the NFL, much the way NXT is to WWE).  You won't hear Chris Berman go "Well, he really tore up the CFL which means he'll excel in the CFL" (it's more likely to be "Well he played in the CFL for a while, but time will tell if he can play in the NFL."). 

I dunno, it just seems pretty counter-productive to globally dominate something, then build up the also-rans.  Why bother?!  

Punk must be a physical wreck right now. Throw in the fact that he famously won't take painkillers, and the guy must be in total agony most of the time.

It's not surprising he's been banged up lately but... He's been looking miserable for around 6 months, the coup de grace being the Taker match. I don't know if any amount of time off can fix him at this point.

I remember when Heyman and Axel were beating the shit out of him with that kendo stick a few weeks back and it was, like, dude, why are you doing this? Sure, it was a good segment on TV, but come on. The angle didn't need it and the guy has taken enough punishment over the last few years as it is.

Does he think he has something to prove? I'm not sure if being "the best in the world" is any comfort when you're 45, walk around like an old man and can't bend over to tie your shoelaces. And that's pretty much what Mick Foley's life is like now.

Bah, Republicans and Democrats would only be hurt by acknowledging Greens and Libertarians as anything other than the fringe loonies that they are.  WWE should only acknowledge most indies when it fits the story to claim it is shocking that someone useful ever spent much time down there at that level.

I really don't understand the point of WWE acknowledging other wrestling.  WWE pretty much is wrestling.  It would be like the NFL acknowledging the CFL or Arena Football as equals (The NCAA analogy doesn't really fit, to me, because the NCAA is basically a feeder to the NFL, much the way NXT is to WWE).  You won't hear Chris Berman go "Well, he really tore up the CFL which means he'll excel in the CFL" (it's more likely to be "Well he played in the CFL for a while, but time will tell if he can play in the NFL."). 

But on this exact topic, even going like Berman does with an equivalent line of "Well he played in the CFL for a while, but time will tell if he can play in the NFL"- as Daniel Bryan's rise showed exactly how useful it was. Remember, starting on NXT, in just one week, Michael Cole's reaction was effectively "well, he was a big standout on the independent scene, but time will tell if he can play in the WWE."

When the smoke clears three years later, Michael Cole spent two years as the single most-hated human being in the WWE, and Daniel Bryan's made it to the main event from all the butthurt IWC members who decided "HOW DARE WWE SAY THAT ABOUT BRYAN DANIELSON [NOT! Daniel Bryan, SCREW YOU VINCE!] We'll show them- WE WILL MAKE THEM MAKE HIM A MAIN EVENTER!"

Hogan's contract is almost up.  Jarrett's profile is growing behind the scenes.

Hogan had another boat accident.

A seemingly unrelated event or perhaps Col. Parker on behalf of Double J sent Cheatum the evil midget to speed up Hogan's exit.

• Like 2

WWE's official YouTube account has put up full-length WWE championship matches including the awesome John Cena vs. CM Punk match at Money in the Bank 2011 PPV:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqIVmFaHA8BohcnErUDTtIXjcx2dLWLJM

There are also other full-length matches on the account including for me, the best Sting vs. Vader match at Starrcade 1992:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqIVmFaHA8Bqm3Ts8aRnhERn6aify_RB9

Lil Vader needs to go get some experience in Japan. Look what it's done for Harry Smith.

He wrestled a some matches with his old man there in Zero-1 and the Vader Time shows. 

I wasn't expecting much when I saw his FCW look:

Posted Image

He looks like a hitchhiker that's about to rape you.

He looks like a less douchy version of the Miz, yet he also looks like a more douchy version of the Miz.