DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R3B: BROCK LESNAR vs. AMERICAN ALPHA

RIPPA

MM16: 3rd RDB - BROCK LESNAR vs. AMERICAN ALPHA  

129 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I'm fine with the criticisms of Brock that Matt D has made and now others have suddenly started to agree with. I don't feel like Brock had a truly great year, and he no longer feels totally fresh. Matt, you've often compared Stan Hansen to a tool for another wrestler to use as he sees fit, and I think Brock is firmly in that stage of his career as well, although I think it's clear that he is a much harder tool for people to use and actually advance or get over with. I don't think anyone looks tougher in victory or defeat against Lesnar. They look lucky or decimated. That being said, Brock's year had some decent matches. The Fastlane match was fun. The squashes were fun. He made random promos on Raw seem like an event. The pull apart stuff was awesome. 

All that being said, I voted for Brock. Nothing American Alpha has done thus far has made me think they are anything but tag team Tyler Breeze; an act tailor made to get over on a specific show in front of a specific crowd. They've done that and should be commended, but when other factors are close to being equal, I think degree of difficulty has to factor in. Being over on the main roster is leaps and bounds more impressive to me than getting Full Sail to like you. That probably won't be enough for Brock moving forward, but it's enough when I find the other stuff for American Alpha a bit lacking.

I've brought up Hansen once or twice in the last few days. I just haven't seen that narrative with Brock. How did Reigns try to fight him? How did Rollins? How did Cena? Harper? Rusev? Del Rio? Undertaker? The only place we really saw it was in how Ambrose and Reigns worked together. I think the suplexes are an issue, because while Hansen was unrelenting, he was unrelenting in a way that you could work hope spots into better. He'd guzzle an opponent and leave them gasping. Brock on the other hand, uses big bumps, bigger than anyone else on the roster, basically. It makes it much harder for his opponents to utilize any sort of strategy. He's a potential tool but one that's in the wrong place at the wrong time without the likes of Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada, and Taue to counter.

Sticking with Hansen, the thing I find most appealing about Stan was that he was chaos personified. I never knew what he was going to do, just impossible to predict what was going to happen next. His movements and body language reinforced this wildness and recklessness. The biggest problem with Brock is that he's entirely predictable and that's not something he should be. Ever. 

Could you clarify what you mean by tool in this context? 

I certainly do agree with the argument that success in NXT is being overstated on here. I'm voting AA more out of spite for what Brock has become than how good Gable and Jordan have been. And they have been good and their goofy interviews are nice but they're going to need to evolve their characters if they want to stand a chance of making it on Raw. I'm confident they can do that though. A lengthy championship run should help them round out their personas. 

I will clarify the tool comments at some point in the future. We've had a lot of discussion about Hansen over at PWO for the GWE project. There's quite a bit for someone to parse through here, so I'll try to sum it up sometime soon.