DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R3B: BROCK LESNAR vs. AMERICAN ALPHA

RIPPA

MM16: 3rd RDB - BROCK LESNAR vs. AMERICAN ALPHA  

129 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Brock was diminishing returns the whole year. Jordan and Gable constantly bring freshness and energy to the product and are freaking amazing in the ring and their promos are...so sick. I don't know why Brock won last round and I don't get it why he'll probably win this round, the Mania match, which was easily his best work of the voting period, shouldn't propel him any further.

• Like 1

Going with Brock since, underneath the 1000 suplex formula, Grape Ape does these little things perfectly for a dude who just stands around in silence. His Taker sit-up in their second match is an example, but most recently when he steps on Ambrose's head after that beatdown.

I also like his air of menace, like last night when he just had no intention of letting Dean get away with his shit talking, crowbar or no crowbar. They told him to play a beast, he plays a beast.

You really have to make the comparison between Angle and Gable. With Gable, he does everything I always wished Kurt Angle would do in his matches and that he never did. Angle so rarely wrestled and did cagey mat stuff, even gimmicky mat stuff. It drove me nuts in 2000-2004 or so. So Gable does that and Jordan might even be better than Gable.

I think people know how I feel about the high lord of diminishing returns and desensitizing of moves at this point. 

What's funny is that American Alpha is probably one of the few acts that don't have a sizable gap over Brock in terms of watchable matches from the time period as they only have about 12-15 (depending on how you count the Hype Bros match from the Dusty Rhodes tournament and that handheld from India)

Where Brock had roughly 12 in the time period

I mention this only because a lot of folks have focused on a "quantity" argument in several matchups and again to bitch that there are no handhelds of all these 30 minute matches against the Revival

Why are people turning against Brock? The dude's still the beat incarnate and an awesome force that looks and feels like no one else. For all the criticism other wrestlers have gotten for the homogenized WWE style, he's the antidote to that criticism. Maybe the WWE style (where people have a routine set of spots and bumps completely with audience cues used to manipulate a crowd's expected response) isn't so bad after-all? Brock doesn't do that. He tosses people around the buries people under tables and whips car doors into the torso's of audience members. This feud with Dean has been great.

I love American Alpha. I love how they're homegrown acts that clicked organically. I love their goofball promos. I love Chad Gable being a middle schooler trying to look cool. I love how he does hammerlocks and headscissors and doesn't need to do anything more than that but everyone thinks he's this flashy wunderkind. I love Jordan's belly-to-belly. I love his "straps coming down." I love the act so much.

The only thing they have is they haven't worked an official feud yet. Their first angle -- Chad convincing Jordan to join ranks and they gain their footing as a team -- was fun. But I want to see The Revival cripple one of them in the locker room and see what goes on from there.

AA are just starting to be THE thing. But Brock still stared down a lunatic with a crowbar last night.

Why are people turning against Brock? The dude's still the beat incarnate and an awesome force that looks and feels like no one else.

Most of the anti-Brock folks are saying that is no longer true hence why they are "against" him

Why are people turning against Brock? The dude's still the beat incarnate and an awesome force that looks and feels like no one else.

Most of the anti-Brock folks are saying that is no longer true hence why they are "against" him

I'm saying it's not true, and that it's a myth along the lines of "Bray Wyatt never wins matches" and "Roman Reigns sucks."

• Like 1

I understand what you were saying - you asked why people were turning against Brock. That is a big reason.

People in these very threads have expressly cited that as a reason.

Just because you don't believe it to be true, doesn't mean it isn't a reason

• Like 2

I'd probably like the Brock formula more if there was more to the package. Brock's contract keeps me from enjoying him as much as anything. He doesn't work many house shows, appear on tv unless a major PPV is coming up, cut promos, etc. Most of his opponents have been part-timers (Undertaker) or guys who won't benefit from feuding with Brock because they're already at the top of the card (Cena). But, in practical terms, you have to use Brock as a special attraction because his contract prevents him from appearing frequently enough to carry his end of a feud. Pair him with AJ, for example, and you'll end up with AJ basically promo-dueling himself for weekend on end. That doesn't benefit anyone.

I like Brock's matches just fine but, eh, so what? I basically want feuds out of my pro wres. Guys showing up week in and week out to do run-ins and cut promos on each other. The Wwe version of indy dream match theater where a guy shows up once every few months to squash the regulars does nothing for me.

For all the criticism other wrestlers have gotten for the homogenized WWE style, he's the antidote to that criticism.

That was true for a while, but over the past year, Lesnar's matches have devolved into a homogenized "Brock style" that's really pretty tedious. His act now is just as by-the-numbers as anyone else's.

• Like 2

The Brock style, while special and unique to him, is pretty tired. Someone else mentioned that the best and worst thing to happen to Brock was "Suplex City." It was AWESOME to watch him destroy Cena at Summerslam, but that's now become this very rote formula.

And if that isn't enough, there is only one other match type for Brock. He either goes full Suplex City, or he does the triple threat match thing where it's clear that he's going to be the guy that takes an extended breather until he comes back out of nowhere. What was once special, isn't really that special anymore. What's worse, it's being run into the ground.

Make no mistake, Brock does things no one else could do, but it's not that unique anymore. So what you have to really separate Brock from everyone else is Paul Heyman and the pull apart brawls.

For me, I still love Brock, but AA is such a fresher and more exciting act. The Jason Jordan hulk-up hot tag is one of my favorite spots in wrestling. Their finisher is cool. Gable flows like water in the ring. Everything is so smooth. And their outside the ring act is goofy and corny, but also entertaining. In this particular match-up, there is more that makes me favor them, than there is to make me favor Brock.

I'm saying it's not true, and that it's a myth along the lines of "Bray Wyatt never wins matches" and "Roman Reigns sucks."

Remember: A vote for Brock Lesnar is a vote FOR THIS GUY!

• Like 1

Remember: A vote for Brock Lesnar is a vote FOR THIS GUY!

The one who has well thought-out opinions that runs contrary to whatever CTRL-V opinions you no doubt have?

• Like 1

Yay, now we are making this thread horrid too!

Brock, as a character, has become actively harmful to the WWE product. I'm all for monster acts, especially monster acts near the top of the company. But Brock has broken the point for being too powerful. He actively seems legitimately unbeatable, and thus makes every other wrestler in the company looks lesser by comparison. And, to make it worse, the only people that ever get to have a rub of having a competitive singles match out of him are all part timers who don't need it.