DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R3A: KEVIN OWENS vs. SHINSUKE NAKAMURA

RIPPA

MM16: 3rd RDA - KEVIN OWENS vs. SHINSUKE NAKAMURA  

130 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

This was a very tough one for me as these are two of my favorite wrestlers in the world right now.

Nakamura's match with Ibushi at WK was was one of my favorite matches of the year.  I look forward to seeing him in NXT.

Kevin Owens has been the one bright spot on the main roster for me. The guy is the best heel in the business right now.

Owens by a nose.

This was a very tough one for me as these are two of my favorite wrestlers in the world right now.

Nakamura's match with Ibushi at WK was was one of my favorite matches of the year.  I look forward to seeing him in NXT.

Kevin Owens has been the one bright spot on the main roster for me. The guy is the best heel in the business right now.

Owens by a nose.

Nakamuras match vs Ibushi was last years voting period, the awesome wrestle kingdom match for this year was against Styles.

And am I the only one who thought Owens didn't have a great year in ring? Is it really just me?

I think several people have stated they weren't impressed with KO this year - heck in many a thread that weren't his.

The poll has been open for like 2 of its 48 hours.

Let's not act like the dye has been cast by the opinions of those who are already awake.

• Like 1

Owens by a nose.

Nakamuras match vs Ibushi was last years voting period, the awesome wrestle kingdom match for this year was against Styles.

And am I the only one who thought Owens didn't have a great year in ring? Is it really just me?

Whoops, you're right!

Still a great match. Still at WK. Still had to go with K.O.

The world's greatest hide and seek player!

"Your perfume is really getting to me."

https://youtu.be/kY-y7bmMLmo

"Milhouse?  Milhouse?  Give Renee the microphone."

"I need a name, address, and current driver's license."

VOTE OWENS. 

• Like 7

Owens's run in NXT was my favorite run by a heel in years and years.

But Nakamura is Nakamura and had three matches that I think top Owens's best match.

Shit.

It's not all about in ring.  I feel like some people forget that.  That being said, I think Owens has been really up and down in between the ropes.  That comes with the territory of being a WWE TV workhorse.  He is responsible for the in-ring high point of a bunch of people in the voting period, though. Sami, Cena, Ambrose, Neville to name a few.

Outside of the ring he is the most consistent character on the show by a WIDE margin.  Always over.  Always getting the reaction he is looking for.  A chatter box in the ring that can really save your run-of-the-mill Raw match.  Great promo.

He somehow still seems special despite being stuck in Raw limbo for a better part of the year.  That, in itself, is an incredible feat.

• Like 2

Neville's best came against Rollins.

This wasn't Nakamura's best year by any stretch but you look at his high-end matches and it still outshines 99% of the competition. I blame Goto.

It's not all about in ring.  I feel like some people forget that.  That being said, I think Owens has been really up and down in between the ropes.  That comes with the territory of being a WWE TV workhorse.  He is responsible for the in-ring high point of a bunch of people in the voting period, though. Sami, Cena, Ambrose, Neville to name a few.

Cesaro had better matches with Cena while the Cena/Owens feud was still going. None of the Ambrose matches were that good, the Sami matches were good but they were clearly holding something back for a blow off that never got to happen, and Owens does have great chemistry with Neville.

Ambrose/Owens at the Rumble was awesome and Ambrose best.

He has a great NXT TV match with Neville early in the voting period (I think, might not qualify) that is Neville's best.  A couple really good Raw TV matches with him, too.

I would take the first Owens/Cena match over anything Cesaro/Cena did together.  The build up alone was more interesting than anything Cesaro did during his "hot" run this year.  

The Sami match, while the lesser of their 2 NXT matches, is still Sami's best from the time period.

No point arguing about the character work with some of you (Cesaro fanboys, mostly). For those who do care about such things, it's hard to argue against Owens' accomplishments.  He is a credible heel in a company that actively tries to fuck up the momentum of credible heels. 

Your last paragraph is what I was getting at with my comment about his antics in Japan. Yes, plenty of heels have done that, but how many in WWE? In a company where heels don't really get to heel, KO took the entire list of heel antics and made it a point to check off each of them and it set himself apart from everyone else.

• Like 1

It's weird how quick the Cena feud perception shifted. The first stage and that first match were great. He started doing a lot of senseless bombfests to capitalize and that lost me, but the Ryback, Dean, and Dolph feuds brought that back.

Really though, has anyone else had a bigger first year with WWE? Naka was Naka this year but KO got a superpush without really compromising much and that's super impressive.

I can't think of anything that Owens does better than Nakamura. Heck, for all we know Nak may speak better English than Kevin. ;)

Owens is one of the few guys from the indys and NXT that I think is getting better in WWE, though. Less moves, less finisher kickouts and more trash talking is what I want from Owens and it feels like he's going more in that direction.

• Like 1

Nakamura is a beautiful flower that should be treated like the Mona Lisa and encased in glass so we don't lose him.

I always kind of hated Steen. Just didn't get him, I guess.

Owens, though, he speaks to me. He is this overweight, angry dad who hates all of us and only loves his family. It's a beautiful character and one I can relate. I just don't think he's better than Nakamura.

Pretty surprised to see Owens in the lead against last year's winner. I don't watch NJPW, so I can't comment specifically on Nakamura, but Owens... well, he certainly didn't have a BAD year, but I wouldn't have pegged him as a contender to win, and I assumed Nakamura was. Was Nak's 2015/16 noticeably worse than his 2014/15?