DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 85: Hunt vs. Mir (3/19/2016) - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (Brisbane Entertainment Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Brisbane_Hunt_vs._Mir_Po

UFC Fight Night 85: Hunt vs. Mir
March 19, 2016
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (Brisbane Entertainment Centre)

Mark Hunt (264) vs. Frank Mir (260) - Hunt, KO (punch), R1 (3:01)
Hector Lombard (170) vs. Neil Magny (170) - Magny, TKO (punches), R3 (0:46)
Jake Matthews (155) vs. Johnny Case (155) - Matthews, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (4:45)
Daniel Kelly (186) vs. Antônio Carlos Júnior (186) - Kelly, TKO (punches), R3 (1:36)
James Te Huna (205) vs. Steve Bossé (204) - Bossé, KO (punch), R1 (0:52)
Bec Rawlings (116) vs. Seo Hee Ham (115) - Rawlings, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card
:
Brendan O'Reilly (168) vs. Alan Jouban (171) - Jouban, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:15)
Dan Hooker (146) vs. Mark Eddiva (145) - Hooker, SUB (mounted guillotine choke), R1 (1:24)
Leslie Smith (134) vs. Rin Nakai (135) - Smith, DEC (unanimous)
Richard Walsh (170) vs. Viscardi Andrade (171) - NC (Andrade Tested Positive for Stanozolol)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Ross Pearson (155) vs. Chad Laprise (156) - Pearson, DEC (split)
Alan Patrick (156) vs. Damien Brown (155) - Patrick, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Neil Magny
Performance of the Night: Mark Hunt
Fight of the Night: Jake Matthews vs. Johnny Case

Attendance: 9,552
Gate: $1.325 million
Rating: 1.15 million viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Justin Scoggins vs. Ben Nguyen - Injury to Scoggins
Ross Pearson vs. Abel Trujillo - Trujillo Visa Issues
Alan Patrick vs. Chad Laprise - Laprise Moved to Another Bout

Local fighter Damien Brown (lost to UFC vet Paul Redmond in Cage Warriors back in 2011) is fighting Alan Patrick as the short notice replacement for Chad Laprise. Laprise is taking Abel Trujillo's spot against Ross Pearson in the Fight Pass feature bout.

They want Pearson to lose on every Australia card. They've never forgiven him for the way he destroyed George Sotiropulous.

Guest Edwin

Leslie/Rin should be good fun. This is a fight that will definitely tell us where Rin is truly at. I know she's a good fighter, I'm just not sure as to how good she really is if that makes sense at all.

I hope Ham beats Bec as she's expected to. I can't stand Bec.

Te Huna/Bossé should be good fun and will end with someone taking a nap.

At this point in their careers, I think Magny has a good chance at beating Showeather... Lombard for all of the obvious reasons I'm sure Elsalvaje or someone on here has already pointed out.

And I'm torn as to who should win the main event. I know Hunt can KO Mir, but I also know Mir can submit Hunt which makes the fight intriguing. 

I'm surprised they're giving Matthews someone like Johnny Case in his home country. I mean Case wanted to fight Sage Northcutt and Jake Matthews is basically Australian Sage Northcutt with a little bit more seasoning. I guess they're not fucking around and want to see who is the more legitimate prospect between the two.

Any strong feelings on the main event? I find it a bit funny that so many people that I've seen feel so confident in a Mark Hunt knockout. It seems that every fight Mir is in that a lot of people pick against him. However, his record in the UFC speaks against that rationale.

I like both guys. I just hope Mir doesn't fight super defensively and passively again, though I'd certainly wouldn't blame him should he try. Hoping for a Hunt KO. Could be a really ugly fight if it goes past the second round.

Any strong feelings on the main event? I find it a bit funny that so many people that I've seen feel so confident in a Mark Hunt knockout. It seems that every fight Mir is in that a lot of people pick against him. However, his record in the UFC speaks against that rationale.

Mir has been KOed by lesser strikers, and hasn't exhibited much of his vaunted ground game since breaking Nog's arm in 2011.  Since his fight with JDS, he seems to rely way too much on his just-decent striking to attempt to set up a clinch to bring the fight to where he wants it, with mixed success.  I don't see it as an easy fight for Hunt by any means, but I'd say the current betting odds putting him as a slight favorite at -170 is a fair reflection of their recent performances.

That's probably it for Nakai in the UFC. According to Robert Sargeant, her husband/manager was a nightmare to deal with. Turned down a 4 fight deal for a 2 fight deal. Turned down every fight offered after the Tate fight, which nearly got Rin released (Sean Shelby wanted her gone, but Lorenzo saved her).