DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R2C: SAMI ZAYN vs. FINN BALOR

MM16: 2nd RDC  

113 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I try to take it easy on Finn because he feels like someone whose feelings might get hurt easily. 

Your goofy self-importance is the best MM gimmick.  It's so comically pathetic.

I think you are wasting it on good wrestlers having down years.  Diminishing returns and all that.  Do you have enough left in the tank for the later rounds?

. Balor had a great year and a great feud with Kevin Owens.

Explain. The Owens feud was generally underwhelming, and most of the last half of last year could be classified as "Samoa Joe does the work to keep Finn from looking blah."

I'm still waiting for something that wasn't underwhelming. Like I wouldn't put those among Owens best matches from the time period, and I thought Owens had a blah year.

Okay, last note before I leave, and get hate mail for this comment in 7 hours.

I'd vote Dolph Ziggler over Finn on the last 12 months on just ring work.

See, reading all of that makes me just think you're a lousy judge of wrestling.

Though I think I just like Finn more than most on this board. Kinda shocked to see he's winning.

• Like 1

I am too. I don't get it. He's a go through the motions guy that has yet to make me give a single damn about anything he's ever done. Super bland outside of the ring on TV too. He's stagnated while some of his peers have either improved remarkably or new guys have come in and impressed more.

He's mechanically really solid, I'll give him that. Great abs, too! Whatever people criticize Okada for, I think Balor's faults are far worse.

I try to take it easy on Finn because he feels like someone whose feelings might get hurt easily. 

Your goofy self-importance is the best MM gimmick.  It's so comically pathetic.

I think you are wasting it on good wrestlers having down years.  Diminishing returns and all that.  Do you have enough left in the tank for the later rounds?

This is all you get, sport:

tumblr_nqhj2tE8VF1t537two5_400.gif

Finn NEVER varies his shit up. He's the most Five Moves of Doomiest guy working right now.

I don't think this can really be argued honestly and I think part of the reason his best stuff was in the Dusty classic (forced to vary things because of tag format) and with Joe and Owens (two guys who will work around guys to make sure things are varied) is because they were deviations from his normal routine, which is fine. I voted Finn because I thought he had some good highs that Sami couldn't match in the time period. Finn has all the tools to be a big star but he still needs to put things together a bit more. They need to lock him in a room with Regal daily at the performance center so Regal can help him put everything together in the right order. Finn is like a Lego set (cause he likes legos see) that was put together in the wrong order, it kind of looks right but could be better.

He's mechanically really solid, I'll give him that. Great abs, too!

You really can't underestimate the importance of a great set of abs. I'm mean it is an upper body business after all.

I can agree with this. One of my favorite recent Finn matches was his second match vs Crews where he was wrestling on top, and I think it's like you said, it forced him out of his usual formula.

EDIT: This is what happens when you don't quote.

• Like 1

Yeah I liked the Balor/Crews matches despite Crews being a guy that doesn't bring much to the table, and the Balor/Neville match was real solid. I'm not seeing this alleged drop off Balor has had lately. If anything his subtle heel mannerisms has made his work more interesting.

So, here's where I'm having trouble with. I can see Finn's positives. I can see Finn's negatives. But how does the Sami side of this settle in?

All the greatest stuff of Zayn's NXT run, the Cesaro series, the Sami Zayn redemption tour, his title chase, all happened the year before. In this year's voting period, there's the Cena match, the asskicking he took from Owens before going on the shelf, his return match with Dillinger (which really wasn't much,) the triple threat, and the match with Joe. The last two were good, but I'm not sure he has the quantity OR the quality.

• Like 2

Zayne was injured over 80% of the voting time period. Balor had a great year and a great feud with Kevin Owens.

Sami's feud with Owens was better.

The best parts of that feud were not in the voting period.

So, here's where I'm having trouble with. I can see Finn's positives. I can see Finn's negatives. But how does the Sami side of this settle in?

All the greatest stuff of Zayn's NXT run, the Cesaro series, the Sami Zayn redemption tour, his title chase, all happened the year before. In this year's voting period, there's the Cena match, the asskicking he took from Owens before going on the shelf, his return match with Dillinger (which really wasn't much,) the triple threat, and the match with Joe. The last two were good, but I'm not sure he has the quantity OR the quality.

That's exactly why I'm voting for Finn, but I don't feel good about it. This is when we get to these hard cuts where you're like, "fuck, am I really going to do this? Yes am I and I have to because I'm backed into a corner." If Sami has a full year I'm guessing his output would be better than Finn's, but based on what we have, it's Finn.

Yeah. I hate voting against Sami, cuz he's legitimately one of my favorite guys, (and maybe I was hesitating cuz of my bracket, but I checked and the winner of this gets the winner of Minoru Suzuki vs Sasha Banks, so that won't amount to much,) but I can't see a way to Sami having had a better year.

Also the people I most want to vote against seem to have voted Sami.

That's exactly why I'm voting for Finn, but I don't feel good about it. This is when we get to these hard cuts where you're like, "fuck, am I really going to do this? Yes am I and I have to because I'm backed into a corner." If Sami has a full year I'm guessing his output would be better than Finn's, but based on what we have, it's Finn.

That's the problem with this match, really. 

Both Sami Zayn and Finn Balor are GOOD...but they both should be SO MUCH BETTER than they are right now. 

Zayn missed most of the time period with injury, but is just "good", and most of his can be chalked up to the problems for 2013 (between injury and the fact that returning to NXT was kind of a step back, even his good matches didn't MEAN AS MUCH as his matches in 2013-2014 did, and with WWE booking there's the question if they'll ever mean that much again.

On the other side, Balor is good, but he could be so much better...but even in NXT, it was worse where they openly did everything to keep Balor's matches from meaning as much as they could to make him better. The Inside Finn Balor documentary they did leading to Beast in the East probably killed him more than anything in-ring could, to be honest: Balor's last real chance to level up to the performer that we fans KNOW that he CAN be is if he ever caught on to the "Do more vicious, brutal moves that Balor only breaks out as The Demon"- and the "The Demon comes from me loving fanart and liking bodypaint" thing took away any hope we'll ever see that happen. 

Balor barely gets the win by quantity of these two- but it's just a damn shame. In a perfect world this would be a quarterfinals or final four matchup for the potential March Madness winner- but in practice, it's a second round match where the winner's probably losing next round.