DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 3/10/16

victor

Main Event Spoilers:

* Zack Ryder defeated Tyler Breeze in a really good match.

* Backstage segment with Paige and Natalya. Team BAD confronts them and are ready to make a statement later on.

* Ryback squashed Bo Dallas. The Social Outcasts cut a promo on the apron before the match.

* Team BAD defeated Natalya and Paige. Good but not very long, Naomi pinned Paige to win.

Smackdown Spoilers:

* Miz TV with Sami Zayn and WWE Intercontinental Champion Kevin Owens opens the show. Sami is brought out first and he gets a big pop. Miz disrespects him and out comes Owens to interrupt. Neville comes down and interrupts with Words for Owens. They get into it and Miz attacks Sami, leading to a tag team match.

* Sami Zayn and Neville defeated The Miz and Kevin Owens. Owens was called in to fight Zayn but he wouldn't, he walked out on the match. Miz took the pin from Zayn.

* Brie Bella defeated Summer Rae by submission. Lana was on commentary and attacked Brie after the match, hitting her with another Bella Buster.

* Chris Jericho comes out and cuts a great heel promo on AJ Styles and the fans that supported their tag team. Jericho lights fire to a Y2AJ t-shirt and lets it burn in a trash can. Jericho says Y2AJ is officially over. Good heat for Jericho here. AJ interrupts but The Ascension attacks him out of nowhere. Jericho retreats to the ramp while AJ clears the ring of The Ascension and stares Jericho down.

* King Barrett and Sheamus defeated Sin Cara and WWE United States Champion Kalisto when Barrett hit Cara with a Bullhammer.

* Ryback cut a backstage promo on Kalisto.

* The Wyatt Family vs. Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler and The Usos is the main event. The babyfaces get the win and celebrate together after a really good match and fun show.

AJ gets attacked by the Ascension?  I hope they're not turning the Miz again.

AJ gets attacked by the Ascension?  I hope they're not turning the Miz again.

There was a news bit two weeks ago about the WWE wanting to make Miz look credible again for Wrestlemania possibly for Intercontinental title match. I don't know why they feel the need to do a ladder match with that title when they have the US Title that they clearly don't care about sitting right there a few pegs lower on the card.

The show looks decent. Miz is either being used the same way he was used in the YJAJ feud which was pretty well or they are setting him up to be a part o the rumored multi-man match for the IC Title. Either way I'm kind of looking forward to seeing him in this even though I would prefer just Sami vs. Owens as the end result.

I am really looking forward to Ryder vs Breeze, even if Breeze is losing again.

Is Paige in the doghouse, or just on rotation because she's one of the Total Divas regulars? She was really, really over a few months ago - but the Divas Revolution, and turning twice, really killed her push.

AJ gets attacked by the Ascension? I hope they're not turning the Miz again.

There was a news bit two weeks ago about the WWE wanting to make Miz look credible again for Wrestlemania possibly for Intercontinental title match. I don't know why they feel the need to do a ladder match with that title when they have the US Title that they clearly don't care about sitting right there a few pegs lower on the card.

And the current US Champion's singles push kicked off with a star-making performance in a ladder match.

I am really looking forward to Ryder vs Breeze, even if Breeze is losing again.

Is Paige in the doghouse, or just on rotation because she's one of the Total Divas regular? She was really, really over a few months ago - but the Divas Revolution, and turning twice, really killed her push.

I don't think working with AJ Lee regularly did her any favors. 

Paige's injury also came at the worst time for her (not that there is a good time to get injured)

As she really should have been the one feuding with Charlotte (working off her belief she should have been the one who beat Nikki)

Instead she got passed by Becky

It's a matter of too much, too soon with Paige.  She really shouldn't be a two-time Divas champion at this point, but they went with her because she became popular and broke up the Nikki-AJ strangehold in the division.  They didn't add new dimensions to her character.  So when the next round of call-ups came in, along with Naomi getting a lot better, she got sidetracked.

Reality TV did her no favors, either.  I'm aware she's dropped the catchphrase, but screaming about being the anti-diva while being a focal point on a show called Total Divas is silly.  Tough Enough hurt her a lot, too.

What Nikki-AJ stranglehold? Nikki didn't get into the title picture again until AJ & Paige 6 month+ feud where neither could maintain being a face or heel. It was more an AJ-Paige stranglehold.

Paige's problem is really that she came up with no character, no decent feud, & then being paired with AJ for way too long. Whats more she really wasn't all that good and only started to improve after the 3/4 of the horsewomen were called up.

As she really should have been the one feuding with Charlotte (working off her belief she should have been the one who beat Nikki)

She did for about two months. It didn't work out well. They saw a good setup with Becky and took it.

Paige is a much better worker as a babyface. Probably right behind Bayley and Becky.

She was miscast as a heel because Charlotte was miscast as a face. I don't think it's a bad thing to put her on the back burner for awhile and then do the feud with Charlotte the proper way down the line.

Paige, AJ, and Nikki were like the first astronauts sent to a distant planet with minimal resources tasked with making it habitable for future generations even though there was a good chance they wouldn't survive to see its success. The horsewomen are the better-prepared second wave who discover the breakthrough that makes life sustainable.

• Like 1

The truth is, Paige is definitely a step below Sasha, Becky, Naomi and Emma at this point (not sure about Charlotte) - but I still think they fucked up with her. The AJ Lee thing, hard to really know but it seems weird to blame Paige for having to work with her. 

I'm not blaming her. But working with AJ Lee never helped anyone. 

• Like 1

Paige is a much better worker as a babyface. Probably right behind Bayley and Becky.

She was miscast as a heel because Charlotte was miscast as a face. I don't think it's a bad thing to put her on the back burner for awhile and then do the feud with Charlotte the proper way down the line.

I actually agree with this. Ring wise she is a much better face though character wise I think she is a better heel.

Paige came up when the only divas that mattered to the WWE, at the time, were the two feuding for the title. Now that they're attempting to give all of the women something to do, it feels strange to see someone that was once the main focus sidelined a bit. But I predict that she will get more shine once they get better at rotating divas in and out of storylines.

Smackdown was super fun this week.

MizTV was good stuff with Zayn and Owens starting to explain their feud to the main crowd. Miz as the shit stirrer was great as was his little fired up promo on Zayn and Neville.

The tag match was really good while it lasted. I really like Owens and Miz as a team with Miz cheating while Owens does running commentary from the apron. They put Zayn over strong as Owens wouldn't tag in to face him and ultimately bailed so Zayn got to hit all his moves on Miz and beat him.

Jericho's promo was excellent. Guilt tripping the fans for causing all this. The brilliant part about this is that it's all designed to get people to keep chanting for AJ even more. Finally he got creepy at the end when he burned the t-shirt and started softly chanting for AJ Styles. That's where it ended so AJ never came out or anything.

League of Nations vs Lucha Dragons was pretty good.

Main Event was fun too with Ambrose going over strong.

This show is so easy to get through if you fast forward through the RAW recaps. A couple good promos, a couple good matches, Lana sat on the announce table and told Byron to shut tup. What more do you want?

Jericho pandering to the crowd over their selectiveness and ''lack of appreciation'' for the pissed off veteran who lives off a schtick of corny catchphrases and out of date content is the best kind of Jericho for this stage of his career. The symbolic nature of the burning of the t-shirt was a neat touch to conclude a fantastic promo. I couldn't stand Jericho prior to this year but he's really smashing it right now. He needs to be a producer or something in his latter years as he has a compelling mind for a story.