DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: September Thread Where Pittsburgh Tries to Win it All

Craig H

Todd Helton is finally retiring at the end of the season.

I also saw that Vladimir Guerrero has finally taken the hint and called it a career as well. I looked up their (Vlad and Helton) career numbers, and I was a bit surprised to find that, aside from power numbers, which Vlad has the clear edge, their offensive numbers are very similar. I think both are borderline Hall of Famers, with me leaning in the direction of "should be".

Didn't a Brave admire a homer off him earlier in the game?

Evan Gattis, most known for his long home runs, tremendous whiffs, and past drug addiction that never gets brought up when commentators are talking about "his remarkable story".

He smoked a ton of weed. Little different than a "drug addiction." He's a kid who freaked out as a 17 yr old, went on a journey to "find himself." came back to baseball and appears to be having a ton of fun. 

Evan Gattis, most known for his long home runs, tremendous whiffs, and past drug addiction that never gets brought up when commentators are talking about "his remarkable story".

He smoked a ton of weed. Little different than a "drug addiction." He's a kid who freaked out as a 17 yr old, went on a journey to "find himself." came back to baseball and appears to be having a ton of fun. 

Potheads don't go into rehab. He was also a hardcore alcoholic and cokehead.

• Like 1

Potheads don't go into rehab. He was also a hardcore alcoholic and cokehead.

I feel like you could have just posted the video from Half Baked where Dave Chappelle is at the group meeting for drug addicts.

Helton isn't a HOF'er.  His peak was great - his 2000 season was ridiculous - but too short and too Coors-aided.

Vlad is a HOF'er.  449 HRs, 10 seasons of 100+ RBI, great defensive player, career .318 hitter.  Career OPS+ of 140.  He's got all the marks of a HOF'er - very high-end peak, long stretch of excellence, no long slide of suckiness. 

The Nats/Braves game tonight has finally been cancelled due to the shootings at the Navy Yard.

For those that aren't familiar with the DC area, Nats Park is about 2 blocks from the Navy Yard and that is the Metro stop used to access the stadium.

I am surprised it took that long to cancel the game but whatever

If there is somehow a 6 way tie for the two AL wild cards spots - I don't think I will be able to contain my joy

I asked jonah keri about multiple teams for wild card slits and he said "tie breaker games."

Yeah - per Wiki (assuming none of the teams are also in a tie for the division)

Three-way tie for two Wild Card spots

In a situation where there is a three way tie between non division winners and there is no other non division winner with a better record claiming wild card 1; a tiebreaker eliminating 1 of the 3 teams will follow. Based on a group head to head record. Teams A, B and C will be created. Team B will travel to team A. The winner wins wild card one. The loser will go to team C. The winner of that game wins wild card two. After those two games, wild card teams one and two will play each other in the wild card round. Can be an" A/B rematch". This information was provided by the MLB Commissioners office.

Ties among four teams

The four teams draw lots, as teams A, B, C, and D. On the first day team B plays at team A and team D plays at team C. The next day the winners of these games play each other at the ballpark of either team A or B (depending on who won the game).