DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: September Thread Where Pittsburgh Tries to Win it All

Craig H

I thought it was clear I was talking about the distance between cities/markets, not between home ballparks but obviously not. Anyway all the two teams/same city examples still prove my point because they're in opposite leagues. It's just doesn't make sense economically to put two teams in the same league that close to each other (ie Washington and Baltimore as suggested).I guess Oakland and San Fran would be closest two not technically sharing a city.

To be fair, there's a giant body of water between 'em, so it's 42 miles to get from one park to the other. The Dodgers and Angels are closer than that.

I've just about had it with these meddling kids.

But it's okay, I think I know just the thing:

Posted Image

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!GOAWAYHIPPIES!!!!!!

actually, standby...this is more like it:

Posted Image

OOOOOOOH!!!DON'TSTOPMEFROMMONETIZINGTHISOLDABANDONEDAMUSEMENTPARKANDCREATINGNEWJOBS!!!!!!

hmmmmmm.  Ah...got it...

Posted Image

BLEEEEEAH!!!1I'mKindOfLikeThatLastGuyButBetter11111111BIOSHOCKTOTALLYSTOLEME!!!!!!!

AlsoThereWasClearlyASaleOnGreenTintedRoundWindowPeepHoles!EitherThatOrThey'reJustReallyEasyToDraw!!!!!!

That ought to do it. 

• Like 2

I thought it was clear I was talking about the distance between cities/markets, not between home ballparks but obviously not. Anyway all the two teams/same city examples still prove my point because they're in opposite leagues. It's just doesn't make sense economically to put two teams in the same league that close to each other (ie Washington and Baltimore as suggested).I guess Oakland and San Fran would be closest two not technically sharing a city.

To be fair, there's a giant body of water between 'em, so it's 42 miles to get from one park to the other. The Dodgers and Angels are closer than that.

There's rather less when the Bay Bridge is open... 

The Yanks used their 52nd player of the year yesterday. That is a team record.

And sorry Giants fans but Bruce Bochy said Barry Zito wouldn't be DFAed to make room for Sept call ups

The Yanks used their 52nd player of the year yesterday. That is a team record.

And sorry Giants fans but Bruce Bochy said Barry Zito wouldn't be DFAed to make room for Sept call ups

Eh, at this point there's no point in getting worked up about anything going on with this team.  "Next Year" started two months ago.

Posted Image

Let Zito have his sendoff start/farewell tour this last month, why not?

Yanks scored 5 runs in the bottom of the 8th to rally past the White Sox

Hawk was not pleased.

The best was him being bitter at the umps but not melting down because it was Mariano getting the calls

Travis Snider, just off the disabled list and slugging .321 this season without a homer since June 15th, pinch hits in the 9th against the Brewers closer and crushes a go-ahead home run. And with that, the Pirates clinch their first non-losing season since Barry Bonds left for San Francisco.

Oh and thanks to the Redlegs, they're now up 2 on the Cards as well.

#Destiny

• Like 1

And with that, the Pirates clinch their first non-losing season since Barry Bonds left for San Francisco.

Good job, fellows!  And with that you can retire for the season satisfied.

Babysteps!  Now is a perfect time to settle in and rest on your achievement and enjoy the peaceful life of the shire, having achieved the best your fair city can hope to achieve. 

Now, enough is enough. 

Posted Image

Back to bed, dears.

You're so adorable!!!

I'll take "among the with worst free agent pitchers of all-time" for $600, Alex.

I'll take "among the with worst free agent pitchers of all-time" for $600, Alex.

That fucker.  Oct. 19, 2012.  On that very night...one year ago, I saw the most horrible baseball game I never seen:

Posted Image

BARRY MOTHERFUCKING ZITO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had to have one FUCKING GOOD GAME in SIX FUCKING YEARS

That fucker.  Oct. 19, 2012.  On that very night...one year ago, I saw the most horrible baseball game I never seen:

Posted Image

BARRY MOTHERFUCKING ZITO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had to have one FUCKING GOOD GAME in SIX FUCKING YEARS

Zito had an RBI in that game too, as I recall.

I might be thinking about the World Series Game 1 against Verlander though.

Either way, those two games should've erased most if not all Giant fan animus towards Zito and his hilariously bad contract.

That, and him stinking up his next/last 3 or 4 starts, weighs nothing against that.  I've come to think of this season as simply The Bill Coming Due.  And I have no problem with that.

And with that, the Pirates clinch their first non-losing season since Barry Bonds left for San Francisco.

Oh and thanks to the Redlegs, they're now up 2 on the Cards as well.

#Destiny

Dave Lagana pointed out on his twitter that the last time Pittsburgh had a winning season, ECW was just born as Eastern Championship Wrestling.  It has been that long  :o

I'm not worried about our beloved Cardinals, nor am I fazed about the Pirates and Reds.  The plan is the same as the past two seasons: the Cards will stagger into the playoffs, seemingly accidentally; then proceed to take out the experienced postseason clubs entirely through intelligence, sheer willpower, and determination (nevermind Ryan Howard's injury to close out the 2011 NLDS or the infield fly rule last year).  Following that, they'll teach a valuable lesson to scrappy darlings whose cities haven't tasted World Series action in decades (see Milwaukee and Washington).

Granted, there was a minor setback last year because nobody bothered to inform the Cardinals that wildcards now need to win 8 games to make it to the World Series.  Mr. Selig will make up for that this year, though.  I have faith in this as I pray every night before my personal Stan Musial shrine (as all sincere Redbird fans have).

I see it now: top the Reds in the play-in game; handle the Braves or the Dodgers in the NLDS; break the hearts of Pittsburghers in the NLCS; polish off whomever the American League has to offer.  It's a can't-lose scenario, and all the pieces are in place.  We just have to make sure the other teams involved...

...play ball.

I'm not worried about our beloved Cardinals, nor am I fazed about the Pirates and Reds.  The plan is the same as the past two seasons: the Cards will stagger into the playoffs, seemingly accidentally; then proceed to take out the experienced postseason clubs entirely through intelligence, sheer willpower, and determination (nevermind Ryan Howard's injury to close out the 2011 NLDS or the infield fly rule last year).  Following that, they'll teach a valuable lesson to scrappy darlings whose cities haven't tasted World Series action in decades (see Milwaukee and Washington).

Granted, there was a minor setback last year because nobody bothered to inform the Cardinals that wildcards now need to win 8 games to make it to the World Series.  Mr. Selig will make up for that this year, though.  I have faith in this as I pray every night before my personal Stan Musial shrine (as all sincere Redbird fans have).

I see it now: top the Reds in the play-in game; handle the Braves or the Dodgers in the NLDS; break the hearts of Pittsburghers in the NLCS; polish off whomever the American League has to offer.  It's a can't-lose scenario, and all the pieces are in place.  We just have to make sure the other teams involved...

...play ball.

We already have a delusional Cardinals fan, dude. This thread doesn't need you being all piranesi-lite, because you aren't nearly as entertaining as he is.

So just stop. Root for the Cardinals if you must, and even dial the psychotic fan dial to 11 if you must. But don't try to steal piranesi's gimmick. You're just not as good at it. :P

Billy Hamilton, who stole 175 bases in the minors last season, made his major league debut.  Inserted into the game as a pinch-runner, he immediately steals second on the first pitch with Yadier Molina behind the plate and ends up scoring the game's only run.

Let's not get crazy - he only stole 155 last year :)

He had 75 in 123 games of AAA this year before his call-up.

...play ball.

That's gimmick infringement, brother.

Billy Hamilton, who stole 175 bases in the minors last season, made his major league debut.  Inserted into the game as a pinch-runner, he immediately steals second on the first pitch with Yadier Molina behind the plate and ends up scoring the game's only run.

Let's not get crazy - he only stole 155 last year :)

Yeah, typos happen.

EDIT: And, apparently they happen in the article I got that from.

During which he hit .256/.303/.343, lest anyone think this person is going to make a significant difference.

It will be interesting.  As a 21-year-old last season, he hit ..311/.410/.420 in A/AA.  Was going from A to AAA in a year a factor?  What about switching positions from SS to OF?  His walks plummeted from 86 in 605 plate appearances to 38 in 547 PA.  Maybe he regains the ability to earn a walk with more playing time. 

During which he hit .256/.303/.343, lest anyone think this person is going to make a significant difference.

It will be interesting.  As a 21-year-old last season, he hit ..311/.410/.420 in A/AA.  Was going from A to AAA in a year a factor?  What about switching positions from SS to OF?  His walks plummeted from 86 in 605 plate appearances to 38 in 547 PA.  Maybe he regains the ability to earn a walk with more playing time. 

The biggest part of that was the 392 PA in A-ball, hitting .323/.413/.439. That was in the California League, i.e. pretty much the most hitter-friendly circuit this side of slow pitch softball.