DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: September Thread Where Pittsburgh Tries to Win it All

Craig H

I feel like I'm living in some bizarre tangent universe where Pittsburgh doesn't suck and is actively trying to make the playoffs.

Meanwhile, the Cubs will make their best attempt at 100 losses. Great.

Truly one of the greats.  I hope you guys are all looking forward to the hours and hours of Tim McCarver tributes this Fall. I'm guessing they will have some of his friends visit the booth during each game to talk about their fondest memories of his storied announcing career.  I only hope we get Joe, Tim, and Bud all in the same half inning...all talking about Tim!

The banter will be magnificent.  Did he catch any really good pitchers during his playing career?  I bet we'll find out!

September begins as it should.  The Cardinals back into a first place tie, the Pirates kick off a 1-26 swoon for their inevitable finish below .500, both Chicago teams in last place, those cute, silly Royals playing just well enough for Kansas City fans to pretend there's baseball fever on the other side of Missouri, and all the while that filthy no-good greedy turncoat Albert Pujols sitting out the rest of the year because he further injured his bum foot tripping over a wad of ill-gotten Anaheim monies.

Yes, things are looking up for St. Louis, and we have our benevolent overlord Darth Selig to thank for ensuring it all falls into place.  He's like a kindly grandfather, really.

In short: I do love being a fan of a team everyone else hates.

This is their first year in the AL West. Uncle Bud had been wanting to balance the leagues for awhile now but nobody would consent to move. Their recent sale gave him the opening to basically blackmail the new owner into agreeing to switch leagues in exchange for approving the sale (and, evidently, turning a blind eye while they burnt the team to the ground and pocketed the fire insurance money)

Man, I wish the Astros were still in the Central. That's an extra 10-12 wins the Pirates really could've used this season.  

Man, I wish the Astros were still in the Central. That's an extra 10-12 wins the Pirates really could've used this season.  

And conversely, 12 wins (out of 15) that have been a very important boon to the A's.

Houston in the American League just seems wrong to me, too.  I'd rather have seen the Nationals or Marlins be the team to switch leagues.  At least Washington was traditionally an American League city, and if not them, surely Bud Selig could have made up some nonsense about having a slew of Marlins-Rays matchups each year being in the best interests of baseball.

Granted, moving an eastern team would have made divisional realignment that much uglier.

Yeah, Washington to the AL was never going to happen because the Orioles owner was already pissy about sharing his market with them. I believe (and somebody more geographically inclined can correct me) the Nats and Os are the most geographically close teams in the majors so putting them in the same league would be crazy economically speaking.

It should have been the Brewers. I know I'm showing my age here but the a long long time ago when I first started watching baseball (and there were two divisions, east and west, in each league!) the Brewers were actually in the AL. I have no idea what led to their switching leagues or why they were so hellbent on staying in the NL but they should have moved back to their original league.

The fact that I hate the Brewers and that smarmy douchebag steroid cheat Ryan Braun in no way colors this opinion...

I thought it was clear I was talking about the distance between cities/markets, not between home ballparks but obviously not. Anyway all the two teams/same city examples still prove my point because they're in opposite leagues. It's just doesn't make sense economically to put two teams in the same league that close to each other (ie Washington and Baltimore as suggested).

I guess Oakland and San Fran would be closest two not technically sharing a city.

I'm glad Oakland/San Fran was mentioned, though, because if you read about Oakland's quest for a new stadium, one of the big hold ups has been the Giants not wanting them to move anywhere beyond where they are now for fear of losing markets. And they don't even share a league, either. Owners have their little fiefdoms and woe be it for anybody who tries encroaching on them.

I believe (and somebody more geographically inclined can correct me) the Nats and Os are the most geographically close teams in the majors so putting them in the same league would be crazy economically speaking.

like i said, i presumed you meant different cities, but didn't say that in your earlier post. :)Different sport, but amazing that you have three teams in the NHL in the NYC metro area. And for the extreme example, i think there are close to 20 futbol clubs in London