DVDVR Message Board

Youtube Prime?

I am REALLY getting sick and tired of this "You may skip this ad in 5 seconds" bullshit and the superimposed ads at the bottom-center of the videos on Youtube.

Will the federal government or somebody please intervene and force Youtube to start up a premium version with no advertisements?  I will gladly pay $15.00 a month if it means I don't have to watch commercials before getting to the Grumpy Cat videos.

But, if I get an AdBlocker, what are all the reviewers who desperately don't want to get a real job going to do?

Real talk though - I love VideoGamesAwesome. I'd watch all of the ads for them.

YouTube Prime, while a great idea, would never happen. Way too many people would bitch about getting cut out of the $15/month fee. Can you just imagine what iJustine or Jenna Marbles would say about it? My gawd. The White Knighting that would follow, and the anger directed at said WK'ers, would slow all Internet traffic to a halt!

I am REALLY getting sick and tired of this "You may skip this ad in 5 seconds" bullshit and the superimposed ads at the bottom-center of the videos on Youtube.

Will the federal government or somebody please intervene and force Youtube to start up a premium version with no advertisements?  I will gladly pay $15.00 a month if it means I don't have to watch commercials before getting to the Grumpy Cat videos.

There are way too many unnecessary questions that have the phrase "will the federal government" contained within them. This is not the place for the federal government even if you were just being hyperbolic.

Reg I don't know what half the stuff in your post means, but I have the feeling I should be happy about that.

There is a whole subsection of the world whose sole means of income comes from sharing their (usually un)qualified views about any topic under the sun.

Internet Reviewer. 

And in a truly bizarre coincidence, NPR's On The Media this week focused an entire hour on how "content providers" STILL aren't making money on the Internet and how Google is currently developing a subscription-based version of Youtube due to the fact that all their marketing partners are bitching and moaning about how little money they're receiving in advertising revenue (literally pennies on the dollar unless you hit 1 million views, which is actually a lot harder to do than it sounds).

They also speculated that Netflix won't be able to keep producing independent TV shows like Arrested Development  and House of Cards and eventually even they will face serious cutbacks in original programming

So I guess I get my wish and we'll have a subscriber version of Youtube by late 2014.

There are way too many unnecessary questions that have the phrase "will the federal government" contained within them. This is not the place for the federal government even if you were just being hyperbolic.

Oddly appropriate suggestion from someone named after a villain in an Ayn Rand novel, though. :)  (Sorry, just getting to this now.)

There actually *is* a paid Youtube subscription where you essentially pay to subscribe to certain channels and get a shit ton more content, I'm assuming with no ads. One of those channels is TNA Wrestling Plus, which has nearly every TNA PPV going back to 2004 in full, along with some of their comp DVDs. It's really a brilliant move for companies like TNA (or the UFC, which also has a channel) to bring in some extra income from shit they're just sitting on. Is WWE Classics a rotating selection, or just a vault like Netflix? if it's the former, this could be something you see in the future from them to drag in more revenue.