DVDVR Message Board

EACSTTROA

Zac_Fu

The first one dragged but had decent moments.  Second episode was a lot better.  Haven't seen the third one, but apparently they're doing a 90s theme so I'm sure to feel old seeing this.

I've enjoyed it so far and it's 90s MTV feel. I love the 90s so the latest episode was fun. I laughed at them doing wrestler entrance mannerisms. Christian's Brutus Beefcake impressions was a random little thing that cracked me up.

The editing is terrible and neither Edge nor Christian really know how to perform to a camera. They're both almost whispering at times. Compared to actual tv hosts it's really off-putting and comes off amateurish. I gave them three episodes to hook me and the third was, imo, the worst, so I'm done with it.

I'm sure y'all will tell me if Bayley's appearance is worth tracking down or not.

These guys have fallen into the trap that multi-man radio shows/podcasts fall into. They assume that if they find it hysterical and it makes them laugh that everyone will also get it and think it's just as hysterical. Don't get me wrong, funny people should use their own instincts to a certain extent but you have to let the audience in on the joke. These guys are riffing on shit that they set up in the Attitude era which was nearly 20 years ago so it comes across as nothing but inside gags. That said, as someone who survived the awful humor of the Attitude era, the show is still not funny.

I like the show. Not so much because of their over-produced skits, but little stuff like this:

When they were doing the "entrances of the 90s" bit, and Beefcake's music hits, Edge is looking around in confusion, while Christian starts doing the hedge trimmer motion. I'm amused because Edge didn't recognize the music, (it's not as recognizable as the others they did,) but once he sees Christian doing the gesture, he gets it, and does it as well. That stuff tickles me.

• Like 2

One thing that strikes me about WWE humor recently is how they think that being funny means you have to be a face. Once you get over being funny (see: New Day, Santino) they start booking you as a pseudo-face. Or, potentially even worse, they look back on humorous skits or moments from heels with a face-like THEY JUST LOVED TO HAVE FUN lens. When Austin was being funny with Angle, it was because he was an unhinged, paranoid psycho and Angle was a holier-than-thou dweeb. It made sense in context. When they bring it up in retrospectives, it's always in that FUN~! sort of way.

This is all just to say that Edge and Christian were over and funny when they annoying, nerdy, prima donna heels. That same schtick doesn't really work as retired babyfaces. I think both guys are genuinely funny, smart, and charismatic. But the context feels all wrong for the show; too much of a blend of schtick in the wrong context and not enough genuine moments for me.

I like the show. Not so much because of their over-produced skits, but little stuff like this:

When they were doing the "entrances of the 90s" bit, and Beefcake's music hits, Edge is looking around in confusion, while Christian starts doing the hedge trimmer motion. I'm amused because Edge didn't recognize the music, (it's not as recognizable as the others they did,) but once he sees Christian doing the gesture, he gets it, and does it as well. That stuff tickles me.

Exactly same here, that was a real little thing but Christian cracked me up there.