DVDVR Message Board

FOOTY - Spring 2016

Dolfan in NYC

Guest Edwin

I watched the last 3-4 minutes of this because of Leicester City and all I can say aside from the fact that I'm happy for Leicester City finally pulling it off, is that Spurs should be ashamed for their tackles during the end and John Terry seemed surprisingly classy during his post match interview.

Today is that horrible feeling when your local rivals who you hate more than any team in the league somehow win the entire Premiership, and everyone is telling you that you should be happy, whereas actually it feels like the worst season in football history, especially after your team somehow blew their best season in 46yrs by only winning once in February and March, and now fucking Leicester have won the league and everyone seems to have forgotten about the cloud of racism that has hovered over the club this season, and that their defence includes a convicted wife-beater and a transphobe and so you can only determine that football must be dead.

• Like 2

Ive noticed Spurs fans upset that Arsenal & Chelsea fans were happy spurs didn't win the league. Like this concept of hoping your rivals don't win anything is unheard of over at the Lane. They've been the biggest offenders of this for 20+ years and now suddenly they're outraged. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Relatively minor news, but Dundee United falling from fringe European team to relegated from the Scottish top division as quickly as they did is honestly a bit sad.

They've been terrible, sealing it away to Dundee was what they deserved.

1 hour ago, Mr Harms said:

Ive noticed Spurs fans upset that Arsenal & Chelsea fans were happy spurs didn't win the league. Like this concept of hoping your rivals don't win anything is unheard of over at the Lane. They've been the biggest offenders of this for 20+ years and now suddenly they're outraged. 

Sure we are, sweetheart. We spend all our Tottenham union meetings talking about you when you're not watching.

Mocking the opposition is a keypart of football fandom. Everyone in Germany wants Bayern to loose or slip up on a national level. Dortmund fans and Schalke fans like seeing each other loose. Hamburger SV and Bremen like to see each other loose. The joy of seeing a rival stumble, especially when your own team is falling short of expectations, is something like a replacement for the own success. 

I´m a fan of the game, I like it if a club or squad is full of fighting spirit or plays a beautiful and exciting game. I like good underdog stories aswell (although I prefer them not to be told against "my" teams). However, I try to never feel schadenfreude for other clubs and nations. It makes it especially hard to endure when others mock your team for losing. A Dutch friend used to make fun of the German football team when they got eliminated at semi final stages or something like that. Especially annoying since it often was after the Dutch team already fun home. It can be really obnoxious and you can´t fight the feeling of getting mocked yourself. But after all the dust is settled, it´s football and 95 % of all the mocking and talk is banter. The other five % come from people who take football too seriously.

I actually find myself disagreeing with Sky Blue Sam´s notion that Leicester winning the league is an indicator that "football is dead." It is more like a glimpse of life in a sad and predictable world of football where the big clubs talk super league and guaranteed CL spots. I can see that there are things which get overlooked, but just concentrating on on-pitch-stuff this is quite a story and a great surprise additionally.

• Like 4

On 02/05/2016 at 11:50 PM, Sky Blue Sam said:

everyone seems to have forgotten about the cloud of racism that has hovered over the club this season,

Some racists, yesterday:

PAY-FOR-LEICESTER-CITY-SPORT-large_trans

21 hours ago, Pete said:

Bayern 2-1 A. Madrid

Atletico are through to the final on away goals.

This was an amazingly fun game. It´s hard to explain how Bayern went out, seeing how good three of their four halves were. Atletico are great at defending, but they were really sweating in Munich. I hope the Real vs City return leg will be as fun.

Bale channeling the spirit of Roberto Carlos, scoring with a right footed shot from a tight angle. Really good goal.

Edit: Feeling like an idiot for not seeing the deflection. It was an OG apparantly.

EDIT 2: City seemed tired. Very solid match from Real, who rightfully made it to the final.

• Like 1

Madrid derby for the European Cup Final? Rematch from 2 years ago? OK... not too many Cup Finals have had two team from the same city. There was a Merseyside derby in the '84 FA Cup Final. If Barca win the league and (whichever Madrid team, really) win Europe, who is really better? Does Barca get ultimate bragging rights if they also win the Spanish Cup final (because 2 titles is better than one) or does it just come down to actual Barcelona vs (Madrid team) games and how they ended?

1 hour ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

He's been decent for us this season, albeit he took a month or two to get toward full fitness. Talk of him coming back to Cov on loan in October, which I'd be happy with.

More importantly, he gets to rock this. :)

ifu99afge0zefo6v2f0nf3hki.gif

• Like 2