DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] MARCH 2016 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So I'm watching The Three Musketeers from 2011, with the lad from Percy Jackson as D'Artagnan, and Matthew MacFadyen, Ray Stevenson and Luke Evans as the proper Musketeers. Milla Jovovich is in it, because it's a Paul W S Anderson film, and it's a bit rubbish because that's what he's like. But then Orlando Bloom shows up. Then Mads Mikkelsen. Then Christoph Waltz. Why are there so many good, marketable actors in this terrible movie?

Best part of that movie was everyone realizing that it was a bad movie, and all going HAM to chew as much sceneary as possible, leading to the greatest overacting Three Way Dance in Cinema history between Bloom, Milkensen, and Waltz.

The thing I really don't understand about the Three Musketeers, is the way that (no matter what Musketeer movie/ TV show you're watching) they never seem to use, or even carry, Muskets. They should be called the Three Swordsmen.

I just finished The Big Short and man is that a good movie. Steve Carrell is just fuckin' amazing in this thing, so is Ryan Gosling. Really depressing, though.

Yep, excellent movie. I liked that they tried to explain the financial products being discussed (Margot Robbie in a bubble bath!) but...man, even then some of the machinations were tough to follow.
  • Like 1

Aaaand I just watched Spotlight, and it got really dusty in my room for 2 hours. The entire main cast did an amazing job, and the end credits actually had me trying to catch my breath because it was so shocking. Some people might think differently, but I definitely think this was the right pick for Best Picture at the Oscars. The fact that it ONLY got a win for Best Picture is really unfortunate, because this was just an all around amazing film. I want to say it touched me (emotionally) like no other film has in awhile, but that seems wildly inappropriate given the subject.

How come nobody posted about this here? The trailer came out LAST YEAR.

EDIT: Well I rented and watched it and it's... okay. Basically an admittance of age and nostalgia for a time gone past. Not exactly what I needed right now, but whatever.

Besides that, Spotlight was DY-NO-MITE! What an ensemble; if they had to induct one of the actors they'd have to induct them all. 

I've got He Never Died for five days so we'll see what Rollins does in a starring role.

Aaaand I just watched Spotlight, and it got really dusty in my room for 2 hours. The entire main cast did an amazing job, and the end credits actually had me trying to catch my breath because it was so shocking. Some people might think differently, but I definitely think this was the right pick for Best Picture at the Oscars. The fact that it ONLY got a win for Best Picture is really unfortunate, because this was just an all around amazing film. I want to say it touched me (emotionally) like no other film has in awhile, but that seems wildly inappropriate given the subject.

The weird thing is that they nominated Rachel McAdams and Mark Ruffalo for the film, but I feel like Michael Keaton out-did both (Possibly Liev Schreiber, too, but I LIKE Schreiber, so I'm biased) and Ruffalo's performance was eclipsed by his own performance from the film 'Infinitely Polar Bear' from the same time period.  I liked the movie a lot, but I love movies about people doing research (While not enjoying doing actual research myself).

Yeah, Keaton smoked everybody, but everybody was good to great in it.

In particular his character arc with being the guy that buried the report in the first place was great. That moment of reveal was shocking because you think it's the guy from Mad Men all along, then he just drops the hammer.

• Like 1

I generally don't care about Oscar wins/losses, but Keaton being in back-to-back Best Pictures and being on stage at the end of the night has been so cool. He's one of a handful of actors that were the first movie stars that I was conscious of when I was very young watching Batman and Beetlejuice on cable, and I'll always have a special affection for him because of that.

• Like 1

I love Keaton like you do, but I don't know if he outdid Ruffalo. At times, I could separate the actor from the character. With Keaton, I couldn't, but Ruffalo's character had so many little ticks and nuances that it made that performance even better. Plus nothing Keaton did in the movie moved me to tears like Ruffalo's impassioned speech towards the end of the film where he ends up walking out of the office after it.

In comparison, Ruffalo's performance in this movie was like Steve Carrell's in The Big Short. They transformed themselves, and both made me cry a little at points in each film.

Ruffalo was always really good.  I've been a big fan since his turn in 'You Can Count On Me' where he played the eff-up brother whom you desperately want to get his shit together because he seems like such a cool guy and then

he doesn't and it just kills you

BTW, in case you didn't know, Ruffalo, at the age of 33 had a benign brain tumor and the resulting surgery caused temporary facial paralysis why he was briefly everywhere (the aforementioned 'You Can Count on Me', 'Ride With the Devil', 'The Last Castle') then barely anything for the period from 2000-2003.

Spotlight is a bit like The Hurt Locker and The English Patient. All perfectly fine films, of course.

But whether they get remembered as anything beyond OSCAR WINNING and CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED films remains to be seen. 

I'm a lapsed, cynical Catholic disillusioned with the church. And it didn't take a movie with Regina George and The Hulk to make me realize that it was all a bunch of corrupt shit, you know?

That Hollywood thinks it is making a bold, wise and courageous statement here is, eh, mildly bemusing. 

Alliegant has a 10% Freshness rating... Ouch...  I hope my ex takes my kid to go see that this weekend so I don't have to deal with it.

Thank God I raised her Marvel so I also don't have to bother spending money to watch Dawn of Justice.

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Funny how the commercials are saying "Allegiant is the best Divergent movie!"

What is funny is that quote only comes from one single review and if you use RT's Freshness Rating as your QA standard, Divergent is the "best" Divergent movie.

I think AV Club's headline was "Allegiant is the best Divergent yet, but it's not good enough" and they gave it a C+. Situations like that weird me out; why not call it the "least terrible" or "rises to the level of mediocrity" instead of something they know damn well will get quote-mined?

Just watched Spotlight, and its great. Don't have much to add to the other posts, but I don't feel I missed much by not seeing it on the big screen.  The Revenant felt more epic, but I will let others decide which was better on a technical level and such, but both were great in their own way. . . 

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Cannot sanction your buffoonery just became a part of my lexicon.

I am going to use the line "I cannot sanction your buffoonery" at some point in my own life.

I don't know when. I don't know how.

But, yes. I will.  

To someone. Somewhere.