DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2015/16 - Period 3

Dolfan in NYC

I think we could save time here at Barclays by just announcing the players from both teams who are NOT scratched. Anyhow, LET'S GO BUFF-A-LO!!! Close this season on a high note.

Calgary is in the same boat. Goaltending is by far their biggest need moving forward – I think it's likely they would have made the playoffs had they received even just average goaltending instead of league-worst. And there's no way Mr. Worst-Save-Percentage-In-A-Decade (Hiller) is coming back.

3 teams that will be looking to deal come this offseason are Detroit (Howard), Pittsburgh (MAF), and Tampa Bay (Bishop).  There are a few others but these three will be the top names.  In each case there is a highly regarded and much cheaper alternative on the roster.  

The question will be 'Do you deal at the draft and get cap space or risk losing them in an expansion draft where you will have to expose 25% of the previous years salary?'

10 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

3 teams that will be looking to deal come this offseason are Detroit (Howard), Pittsburgh (MAF), and Tampa Bay (Bishop).  There are a few others but these three will be the top names.  In each case there is a highly regarded and much cheaper alternative on the roster.  

The question will be 'Do you deal at the draft and get cap space or risk losing them in an expansion draft where you will have to expose 25% of the previous years salary?'

I'd be good with MAF or Bishop! I'd rather not gamble on Howard. Just no to Miller. I could probably live with Pavelec, actually, but that would be pretty far down the list of options.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Oh, come on now! Pavelec is way worse than Miller. Plus, you get Ryan Miller's actress wife that nobody knows of but she's definitely easy on the eyes.

Counterpoint: Ryan Miller looks like a drifter killer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Oh, come on now! Pavelec is way worse than Miller. Plus, you get Ryan Miller's actress wife that nobody knows of but she's definitely easy on the eyes.

After enduring abysmal goaltending all year, I'd actually really rather not see the Flames upgrade to merely mediocre goaltending in Pavelec or Miller and risk ruining another season. I'd only consider either as last-resort options to serve as a single season stop-gap, and only if they could be had for cheap. With an expansion draft looming, I'm pretty convinced that Treliving will be able to pull off something much better.

The expansion draft will make this the most interesting offseason in recent memory.  If the 25% level comes into play you will see teams carefully managing their cap space to minimize who gets exposed.  If NTC's cannot be exposed teams with a bunch of NTC's will find themselves hamstrung in terms of who to expose.

Teams will have an idea who they will expose by the time the rules are finalized which will affect free agent signings.

Then you get into the fun of teams offering up picks and players to have the expansion team (s) not draft a certain player and other teams offering up players and picks if an expansion team drafts a player and then flips him to the third party.

The former is how Nashville obtained Kimmo Timonen.  The Kings sent Kimmo Timonen and a player to Nashville so that they would not draft Galley.  A few years later Nashville traded Kimmo imonen to the Flyers.

For the latter, the Rangers offered an expansion team a package in return for drafting TIm Kerr from the Flyers and flipping him to the Rangers.

The most interesting franchise may be Detroit in terms of how Datsyuk's contract is treated with respect to the salary cap for the expansion draft and next year's salary cap purposes.  

So are like 25 other goalies, but he's better than Pavelec and his sub .910 SV%!

So, how sure are we that Las Vegas is actually getting a team? Who the fuck has an odd numbered league? Any updates on the Canes to Kaybeck since Karmanos "promised" the team wouldn't be moving to Canada?