DVDVR Message Board

UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz (3/5/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

You two can come from outta the corner now. We've retired some old, tired convoluted talking points so you guys don't have to worrying throwing further temper tantrums.  Got it? Ok, good.

so is McGregor going to get fined for punching Diaz's hand or what? That's bullshit if he doesn't, IMO. But part of me thinks this is all fake and Diaz & McGregor got together and decided to work this whole thing since they're both great shit talkers and highly entertaining.

I'll be getting off work when the show ends, but I'm rooting for Diaz. McGregor just has that quality about him where he might be good, but you'll pay loads of money to see someone shut him up and humble him. That's not a bad quality to have in a sport where you can make millions off one fight.

so is McGregor going to get fined for punching Diaz's hand or what? That's bullshit if he doesn't, IMO. But part of me thinks this is all fake and Diaz & McGregor got together and decided to work this whole thing since they're both great shit talkers and highly entertaining.

I'll be getting off work when the show ends, but I'm rooting for Diaz. McGregor just has that quality about him where he might be good, but you'll pay loads of money to see someone shut him up and humble him. That's not a bad quality to have in a sport where you can make millions off one fight.

The NAC won't be taking action. The thing is people haven't been fined for stuff that was actually egregious. Slapping someone's hand away is pretty typical nowadays.

The one thing I was surprised that didn't get discussed for being reprimanded is Nate threatening Anik on Twitter. Saying fuck you and this and that is fine I guess if not really borderline and unprofessional. However, as far actually threatening on air talent they are not part of the active roster, I don't think that should just go without at least a warning. People in other sports aren't threatening to slap a broadcaster, analyst, or official within their organization or a network closely affiliated with the organization. When they do, they usually get fined ASAP. I remember when Robert Flores of ESPN had a little back and forth with Nick Young from the Lakers where Flores was the guy who started it on his radio show (similar to Anik betting with Florian on tonight's main event). Stuff was said, but Nick Young didn't actually threaten him at any point IIRC.

Diaz not getting a win bonus is weird (or is it?) but going from $40k to $500k win or lose isn't a bad deal. I have no doubt McGregor is getting a base pay of $1mil (or something) then a cut of the PPV and whatnot. Nothing seems out of the ordinary to me. I agree that the lower card fighters should make a little bit more than they probably do, but all of these guys are lucky to be getting paid what they do to fight. It seems like fair compensation. Reebok deal cuts into that compared to what they used to make from sponsors probably, but this isn't the thread for that.

TLDR we should all be so lucky to be paid $500k to be punched in the face

It's not weird.  You can notice that for plenty of cards throughout the last several years.  A fighter will get a flat show fee and no win bonus.  Usually it's a sign that they are getting significant PPV points.

Oh okay, I legitimately didn't know. I don't follow MMA as closely you guys do. Behind the scenes stuff is interesting, though. Still not a bad deal for Nate either way you slice it.

Oh okay, I legitimately didn't know. I don't follow MMA as closely you guys do. Behind the scenes stuff is interesting, though. Still not a bad deal for Nate either way you slice it.

I think Holly may be on a new deal where everything she gets is guaranteed like a lot of the other top fighters. Nate, on the other hand, may be a one time thing that his team negotiated with Zuffa. Usually, fighters get paid what's on their contract whether it's short notice or extremely short notice. With a win tonight, that could change of course because he'd have more bargaining power. Either way, you're not that off base.

"A fight that breaks every rule in the book... but makes all the sense in the world" great stuff from DMX.

This feels very different for the UFC even for their big shows. They got Leonardo DiCaprio and other big time, A-list celebs coming to the show. Usually that only happens for Ronda and maybe the odd show here or there. Boxing rarely has that atmosphere anymore. Even then, it's for fights that are booked months in advance. The card was announced six or so weeks ago. The (new) main event was made less than two weeks ago.

Obviously, the top end of this card is something to look forward to, but I am some kind of geeked for Sanchez - Miller. If it were 5 or 6 years ago, I would be looking at it with serious fight of the night thoughts.

Also, DMX should do V/O for every fucking video package ever. What a great voice.

• Like 1